I'M BAAaaAACK

nwivy
Novice

I'M BAAaaAACK

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 12:51 am

i Have a long list of things tht are wrong with me, it's taken me a while, but go figure I'm getting back into horses.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: I'M BAAaaAACK

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 am

Hi NWIvy! Glad to have you back.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 am

I posted here as if everyone might care. I'm glad someone responded, at least.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed May 18, 2016 1:57 am

I hope life is treating you well!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed May 18, 2016 2:00 am

Hi Ivy, welcome back, hope horses bring rightness to all that's wrong.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 2:09 am

Yeah it sorta is, but maybe that's kind of optimistic. I'm 40, I just moved out of my parents home, my mom stole my son (long sob story), i have a HUGE list of things that are wrong with me, I'll never walk unaided, etc. But, I'm horse shopping and that makes me happy.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed May 18, 2016 2:42 am

NWIvy, this is a smaller community than UDBB was. I think it's highly likely that lots of people don't remember you/your horrible accident. I wouldn't be offended by a minimal response!

And welcome back!

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 2:47 am

oh ok. Should I rehash the event?

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Wed May 18, 2016 4:23 am

Happy to "see" you. Was thinking of you just last month and thought that we'd never know how you were doing.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed May 18, 2016 4:53 am

I didn't know you before Ivy but I certainly remember your story. That was about the time I started hanging at udbb.

So glad to see you here and hear of your progress and horse endeavors.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 am

A brief rehash of story? I'm hopeless with names. Hopeless! I forget to look at who's post it is.
But welcome back.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed May 18, 2016 11:14 am

SO glad to see you again! Have wondered about you - please share your story for those who don't know you!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed May 18, 2016 11:19 am

nwivy - I remember you! And I remember what happened and when it happened. I am SO GLAD to see you back. :) I hope your life is bringing you much happiness these days. Welcome 'home'!!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed May 18, 2016 11:58 am

Welcome back!! And so cool that you are getting back into horses. Yes, share your story for those that don't know it. I remember.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed May 18, 2016 12:13 pm

nwivy wrote:oh ok. Should I rehash the event?

Only if you feel like it. M&M is correct, this board is much smaller and many of the people who were around when you had your accident (more than 10 years ago, right?) aren't here.

It's great to have you BAAaaAACK!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 pm

The board is definitely smaller but We are still growing!!! Although I recall your name nwivy, I do not recall the accident so would like to hear the story again!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed May 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Welcome back NWIvy!! This is so freakish. I was just thinking about you two days ago. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!

Jenn
Greenie

Postby Jenn » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Welcome Back. So glad you are doing well enough to be horse shopping. Looking forward to your posts and getting to know again.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed May 18, 2016 1:45 pm

Welcome back, good luck with your horse pursuits!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 18, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm up for a long story. :P And welcome back.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Welcome back. Altho able bodied, I tiptoed back to sort of riding (mostly walking) at age 66 after 30+ years not. When we get to stroll around the greater out of doors, it makes me heart sing.

I also don't really know your story but I can attest to the number of times over the years that someone queried "has anyone heard from nwivy?"

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed May 18, 2016 5:36 pm

Welcome back indeed! I remember you and your story and am so glad to hear you're horse shopping. I hope to see lots more of you. :)

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Welcome NWIvy. I'm glad you are horse shopping and hope it brings you much joy.

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Welcome back! I recall reading your story on the UDBB, but don't remember the specifics. Would love to read a recap of your journey to where you are now.
Best wishes in finding a horse.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Okay.

I was 28, in the car for my first day of work at Oregon Health Sciences University, at the time my idiot boyfriend was driving and our then 3 year old son was in the car, too. The small child had been given his father's wallet (I have no memory of the wreck or about a day before) and was proceeding to empty it. I unclipped my seatbelt to pick up the stuff. We were approaching the stop sign of an intersection, of which there were even those little traffic turtle bump-things as a warning a ways back. But, no. Idiot didn't heed the warning, or stop at the stop sign. Instead of stopping he turned left (or tried to) onto a busier road that didn't have a stop sign. Well, there was a car coming and it ran into us. The car we were in rolled and ended up in a cow pasture. I was partially ejected. My son had some glass stuck in the top of his foot. Idiot wasn't injured at all.

The paramedics came and took me to the hospital. Idiot wasn't (and never has been) cited or charged with anything at all. At first the cops were waiting for me to die, but that (obviously) didn't happen. He refused all breath-a-lizer tests. No one will ever know for sure if he was impaired. He isn't and hasn't been a part of our lives. There's even a protection order between Idiot and the child. Idiot was abusive, too. I try never to call it an accident cause I don't think it was one.

I was in the hospital for 6 months. Then to a nursing home. Then home to my parents. Now, I live with a caregiver, her boyfriend, their two kids, and two more of her kids. And there's still yet another kid that's out on her own. My dog, a Havanese, lives with us, too. I was in the hospital so long because I qualified more than once for an intensive physical rehabilitation program.

In the wreck the only thing that was busted was my head. I had no injuries, or disfigurement or anything. But, I do have a TBI (traumatic brain injury). Oh yeah (my poor mom), the doctors asked for my organs. Twice. I have cranial nerves that were severed. One prevents me from being able to open my eyes, another makes it so I have no feeling on the left side of my face. My eye gets taped open with stretchy tape so I can blink. My vision (acuity) isn't so good in either eye. Both of my eyes are permanently dilated. The left eye is completely fixed. The right eye moves a little from midline to toward my ear. Because my eyes have different capabilities, they don't track together. If both eyes are open, I get diplopia. So, I only have one eye (my right) taped open at a time.

Although most of my trouble is concentrated on my left, I can only hear out of my left ear.

When I was in the hospital, and they put me back together, they installed a tracheotomy/breathing apparatus and a stomach (g- for gastric) tube. I started breathing on my own, and so don't have the tracheotomy (jut the scar). I do still have and use the G-tube. In the hospital they fed me through it, too. I instantly was diabetic, and was given insulin shots in my belly. I need the G-tube for water.

None of this is my real problem. I suffer a lot from ataxia and spasticity. I'm forever in a wheelchair. My speech is crappy.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:17 pm

And I'm not shy about anything. I'm also looking for a horse.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed May 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Wow, that's a lot to go through. What are your horse requirements? Are you in the PNW?

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Thu May 19, 2016 12:33 am

Glad you're back! Even though it was forever ago, I do remember your story. We were getting updates from... someone. Class, I think? Wasn't there a UDBB project to make you a quilt or something?
Anyhow, good luck with the horse search!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu May 19, 2016 1:28 am

Ivy, I didn't recognize your story, but that is super intense and amazing to keep on keeping on from!

Just wishing you good vibes from here on out.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 am

I recently read this https://smile.amazon.com/Ghost-My-Brain ... n+my+brain which is why I was thinking of you and others (some here) who have had TBIs.

Ivy, what about your son? Where is he and how is he doing?

TeresaB
Greenie

Postby TeresaB » Thu May 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks for the recap Ivy.

Is your living situation ok? Your caregiver is reasonable (not really the right word)? Do you get to visit with your son?

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 19, 2016 3:26 pm

My son, Aidan who is 15, lives with my parents (who have legal custody) about 15 min. away. I see him once a week (I go stay with my parents every Friday and Saturday night). If he was doing well, that would be one thing. But since he does't like me any6way - there's not much I can do about it.
Last edited by nwivy on Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu May 19, 2016 3:40 pm

nwivy wrote:My son, Aidan who is 15, lives with my parents (who have legal custody) about 15 min. away. I see him once a week *I go stay with my parents every Friday and Saturday night). If he was doing well, that would be one thing. But since he does't like me any6way - there's not much I can do about it.

IS this the usual 15yo boy doesn't like his mother much or something else entirely?

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 19, 2016 3:59 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I think having a horse for you to ride would be awesome for your never-ending rehab--perhaps it would help with the muscle spasms even. I am so sorry about your son, perhaps one day he'll come around.

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Thu May 19, 2016 4:29 pm

My mom (with whom I have the typical mother-daughter relationship) has been his primary caregiver since he was 3.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu May 19, 2016 4:37 pm

You are obviously a VERY strong woman (based on the whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger). I cannot imagine!
I am, however, thrilled to see you on our board because it is always good to "see" old friends.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri May 20, 2016 11:21 am

nwivy wrote:
None of this is my real problem. I suffer a lot from ataxia and spasticity. I'm forever in a wheelchair. My speech is crappy.

How about a retired therapy horse? I know that the local therapeutic riding program has "retired" some of their horses for one reason or another, so it might be worth a try to see if you could find one that already has some experience so that you know what you're getting? Therapy horses often have soundness issues that prevent them from working out in a therapeutic riding program, but wouldn't prevent them from holding up to much lighter work.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri May 20, 2016 12:37 pm

kande50 wrote:
nwivy wrote:

How about a retired therapy horse? I know that the local therapeutic riding program has "retired" some of their horses for one reason or another, so it might be worth a try to see if you could find one that already has some experience so that you know what you're getting? Therapy horses often have soundness issues that prevent them from working out in a therapeutic riding program, but wouldn't prevent them from holding up to much lighter work.

I was going to suggest a therapy horse also. I bought one many years ago--who happened to have been my horse; I had sold him prior to getting married, a few years later he got EPM and survived but with a minor lameness that ended his show career and his then owners donated him to a therapeutic riding program where he spent about 10 years before budget cuts forced them to thin their herd and I was in a position to purchase him back for my children to ride. Due to his therapy training, he would stop any time his rider got off balance, which was really great for teaching my daughters not to slouch!! We have gotten many years from him; he is now 32 and retired to pasture except for the occasional pony ride he gives my grandkids!

nwivy
Novice

Postby nwivy » Fri May 20, 2016 7:45 pm

I type really super slow (like letters/min when I used to type ~100wpm) and I read slow too.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat May 21, 2016 12:38 pm

It's wonderful to hear from you Ivy. And thank you for updating us. Your typing is excellent, in many things, speed doesn't matter (says the person who texts 1 finger at a time while all the kids around me text at lightening speed). I just laugh.

My heart goes out to you concerning your son. I'm wondering if he is capable of understanding your situation at his age. I have 2 teenaged boys, 14 and 17. I pray that changes as he grows.

Looking for a horse is so exciting!! This board is good at that.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2016 12:55 pm

My experience with haflingers and canadiens
Is that some of them are hot, reactive and sporty, like the Welsh Cobs. If you are looking to be bred specific, I personally would not look in that direction for quiet, steady or easy going.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Sat May 21, 2016 11:44 pm

It's great to "see" you here. I remember.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun May 22, 2016 1:17 am

I am glad you are back among us. ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

lorilu
Herd Member

Postby lorilu » Sun May 22, 2016 3:12 am

Glad to see you here!!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon May 23, 2016 1:12 am

I remember your story, too, and wondered what had happened with your recovery. Very happy to see you back. I hope you find the right horse!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”