Who uses a Kindle? Do you like it?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Who uses a Kindle? Do you like it?

Postby Josette » Sat May 21, 2016 2:02 am

I am buried in books that I need to donate somewhere and am considering a Kindle type reading device. I admit to really liking the feel of a book but the clutter and getting rid of them is getting to me. I've seen some readers in the Barnes/Noble store - I think they were Kindle. Can anyone explain the various models and what preferable features you like. I know some newer ones have a non-glare feature - anything to minimize eye strain. Seems like there a many used ones on Amazon site. Is this because people didn't like those models?

Josette

Re: Who uses a Kindle? Do you like it?

Postby Josette » Sat May 21, 2016 2:10 am

Another question - if I already have a Chromebook can I simply download a Kindle App as my reader? Use my Chromebook instead of buying another device?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona ... nding-page

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat May 21, 2016 2:31 am

I know lots of people are huge fans and have 100s of books at their fingertips. I don't have an actual kindle but do have the app downloaded on an Ipad, phone and computer. My ipad is version 1 so just about all it can do these days is be a reader. Apple no longer supports it.

I went several years only using it on planes. And that was great. But this winter I started using it in bed and got into it. I'm just starting to really need glasses to read, but haven't found any that are very useful. Even dedicated prescription bother me. I also struggle a bit with getting the light just right. The Ipad I can up the type size and bingo ... no need to struggle with reading glasses. The cool thing is I discovered that the ipad and the iphone sync themselves to whatever page I'm on. Never in my wildest dreams did I image reading on my small Iphone 4s. But turns out, when I waiting some where or eating alone at a restaurant, I love the darn thing.

A couple downsides ... actual Kindles are easier on the eys. Starring into the light like on the Ipad is exhausting. And ... if I read something that sparks a query, it is way too easy to get sucked off on to the internet to look something up. And then hours go by. I don't know how the Chromebook works.

BTW, you can get Kindle books from the library so you don't have to buy everything.

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 21, 2016 2:41 am

I had first generation kindle until it crashed, I now read on a mini iPad and it works great. The only hard books I get are training related i.e. horse training and dog training books.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Sat May 21, 2016 5:17 am

I have a small kindle fire (with color) with the most memory it comes with but only for books, it fits in my purse. I take it everywhere. I also have (large) apple ipad pro (and use it as well). If you forget your glasses, both can be changed to large print. Ipad's lighting can be made less or more bright, and changes to bluish tint at night (for low light reading). And you can get free books for both (the classics), and can rent kindle book (many) from amazon for kindle and ipad.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat May 21, 2016 7:51 am

I'm onto my second kindle, my first one (keyboard one) died, and the second one is the touch screen one.
I LOVE reading normal books, and do sometimes go back and re read some of my old ones, but any new ones I get on kindle.
They are just so convenient I doubt I'd buy another book for just reading.

I have the app on my phone, so if I'm ever somewhere boring and need to read, I can just keep reading on my phone.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Sat May 21, 2016 10:09 am

I have a first gen kindle that i loved for years. When i got a samsung phone tho i put the ap on tgat and found myself just using the phone instead. I dim the background a lot and find generally my eyes cope fine with the brighter screen than the kindle screen.

Tulsa
Greenie

Postby Tulsa » Sat May 21, 2016 1:14 pm

I have the paperwhite and love it. I wouldn't want one that's a tablet because I don't like reading on those kind of screens, but the paperwhite is awesome. Super easy to borrow library books on too.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat May 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Josette, I was like you... I used to have a major proliferation of books all over the place.

I got an iPad a few years ago and love that the book proliferation is now electronic and not physical :)

I know going to an e-reader of some type is a big step but so worth it once you get used to it!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat May 21, 2016 2:41 pm

I don't have a Kindle, but I have both the Kindle And Nook (Barnes and Noble) apps downloaded on my iPad (and my phone). I don't know how big a Chrome book is and if you are comfortable lugging it around. But yes, you could download the apps to that. I buy very few books and am a big library user. I prefer paper copies of books, but ebooks are great when traveling.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat May 21, 2016 3:12 pm

I have an original, and love it.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Oh my - the options are over whelming. I'm thinking maybe I would get a reader device now. That Kindle Paper white sounds interesting. I like to read in bed so the chromebook is not sounding comfortable - about 12-13 inches. I think what I will need to get use to is the constant page swiping because less content is displayed compared to a book. Did that make anyone crazy? I have 8 large bags of books I need to donate and frustrating because some places will not take them. I will not toss in dumpster as many are really good fiction, mystery stories.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat May 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Check www.betterworldbooks.com to see if there is a drop box near you. That's who gets my unwanted books.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 21, 2016 6:46 pm

PaulaO - Thank you for that link. There is a drop off near me!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat May 21, 2016 7:34 pm

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I didn't like reading off my iPad. Too much glare and too heavy. I like to read in bed and damn...I kept falling asleep while reading and the iPad would hit me in the head :shock: :lol: . I like the ability to change the back light and print size. It is about paper back size so very portable in most purses. That said. I still like the feel of a real book and actually turning pages :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 pm

I love my kindle. I have always had more books than storage space and now I'm able to cut down a bit. Love getting library books on it, too. Plus it's lightweight and can go nearly anywhere with me.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon May 23, 2016 1:28 am

I had a Kindle, and used it awhile, before I gave it to my sister in law. I like to read in the bath. Not a good place for an electric product!

So, I stick with real books, mostly.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 23, 2016 4:28 am

I had a Kindle Keyboard (the second gen I think?) for a few years, but left it in a hotel room last summer. Since then, I've just been reading on my Samsung tablet, and now my work iPad. The downside is that the battery life is not as good as on the Kindle. It's also a little too heavy and large for 1-handed reading. The Kindle had page-turning buttons on both sides, so it was easier than a real book to hold and just turn the page with a small motion of the thumb, regardless of which hand it's held in. Right now I don't read enough to justify a new Kindle, but if I did read for long time periods, I'd get another dedicated reading device instead of using the tablet.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 23, 2016 5:09 am

I like my Kindle Fire. I can do everything from reading to email to surfing the internet on it, and it's light and easy to carry around. I love it when I'm traveling, and have been known to just take it and leave my laptop at home. As it's Android, I can also get apps on it that aren't available for windows, so that's a plus, too.

I did use my Samsung tablet for everything except work, including the kindle app, until the battery wore out, and I haven't worked out yet what to replace it with, so the Fire has been invaluable.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Mon May 23, 2016 9:43 am

I love my kindle, on my 2nd one as I nearly wore the first one out. That is now hubbies and I am sure he won't wear it out. :/ I just went over seas and was able to carry it in my handbag and had back up books if I had finished what I was reading when I left.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 pm

I have a Kindle Fire. It sucks for internet browsing and for reading in challenging light. I should have gotten the Paperwhite--but I got the Fire before I got a smart phone. And it does still work and I do use it regularly.

The Kindle (or an iPad) is really great for travel and library books. I still buy paper books, but I am a bit more "picky" about which ones are allowed to enter my house in paper form! (even so we probably have over 5000 books at home).

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I have the Kindle paper white and love it. I held out for a long time because I love the feel of a book in my hands and the smell of the paper. But once I started on the Kindle I never looked back. Since Moose broke my wrist for me all those years ago, I struggle with arthritis in my dominant hand's wrist. And holding a heavy book became fairly painful. I love that if my eyes are tired, I can increase the size of the font (or maybe I am just getting old). I love that I can bring 10 books with me on vacation and not have to worry about my suitcase being overweight.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon May 23, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for all your feedback. It has really helped me understand and narrow down the different Kindle products - so many to choose from. It think the Kindle Paper white will be my choice for an eReader. I already have a chromebook for internet stuff. Thanks!! :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”