Return to the stone age

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Return to the stone age

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun May 29, 2016 12:41 am

I made the decision to make some cutbacks.
Starting next week I wont have internet, TV, or Netflix in my home.
I of course will still have internet access on my phone and at work.
I have to admit, I feel a bit liberated. I don't get enough use out of any of it to be paying what I was.
I think the adjustment to no Netflix will be the hardest, I really do like Netflix but its useless to have the subscription if I don't have internet access.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Return to the stone age

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 am

Good luck. I know others who have given up tv. I confess I watch too much. I couldn't give up Internet though. Let us know how this goes.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun May 29, 2016 1:59 am

I should clarify! I'll have a tv and will have my movies I can watch, I just won't have TV channels. I think it will drastically reduce how much I sit down and watch though.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun May 29, 2016 6:16 am

I'm not sure if I envy you or think you're crazy. :lol: What prompted the decision?

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 29, 2016 7:26 am

I couldn't survive without internet at home!!!! TV not too fussed as I tend to be on the internet watching stuff. I ended my netflix subscription but really only because the Australian one doesn't have GoT or walking dead.
Good luck!!!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:23 am

PhoenixRising wrote:I should clarify! I'll have a tv and will have my movies I can watch, I just won't have TV channels. I think it will drastically reduce how much I sit down and watch though.

We can get the "basic" channel option for about $12/month, instead of paying more like $50/month for more channels.

The way I feel about it is no matter how many channels we have we always have days when we can't find anything we want to watch (nothing is interesting or exciting enough), so we might just as well stick with the basic channels and just choose from what there is.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sun May 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Good luck :)
It's really not that bad - I haven't had cable in years. I do have a TV, and occasionally borrow things from the library, but that's it (admittedly, I moved about 4 months ago and still haven't hooked up my TV). There's really no point - I have no idea when I'd actually sit down and watch TV.
I do have internet, though. I don't have a lot of time at home, so it's just the basic check email/quickly check a few sites/call it a day routine.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun May 29, 2016 12:55 pm

I've never paid for TV, only use an antenna to get local channels, Netflix DVDs, and the library. That's plenty

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 pm

boots-aregard wrote:I'm not sure if I envy you or think you're crazy. :lol: What prompted the decision?

Mostly a desire to save money. By making these changes and a couple tweaks to my cell phone bill I'll be paying out about $130 less a month. That's over 1500 a year!
Plus, a part of me really hates how addictive TV and Internet can be... I have better things to be doing with my life.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 29, 2016 3:09 pm

I totally agree Phoenix. TV is a great time suck. I can waste an evening watching dreck instead of reading,etc.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:23 pm

I returned the equipment Monday, it was a little bittersweet.
I've noticed, a lot of the reason I have had the TV on was for a bit of noise. I've caught myself putting movies on just so the house isn't so quiet, aside from the dogs.
I started acting as if I didn't have it since I made the decision to turn it off. So in about a week and a half there's already several changes.
I'm already getting more sleep. I started getting ready for bed at 8:30 the other night, which is really good for me since I've not been getting enough sleep. Working 7 days a week I tend to need a bit more sleep than normal. I've also gotten almost entirely through a pile of dishes I had been avoiding, and finally got a lot of things moved over to my neighbors garage where I am "renting" storage space. I've also taken Nova for a bike ride twice (she runs along side) and this usually takes up the entire evening. So really, this has been a hugely productive week and a half for what I'm normally able to accomplish.
More updates to come! Time will still tell once I get caught up on things (which may take awhile) if I'll hate not having it. For now, I think its been a very positive change.

ETA: I forgot how terrible of cell service I get in my home without WIFI. I cannot access internet at ALL when I am home now, not even from my phone. I have a lot of difficulty even sending texts or making calls. For now though, I actually think it's a blessing in disguise while I acclimate.
Last edited by PhoenixRising on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:15 pm

good for you! Your story makes me think about how to reduce how much time i watch TV!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:51 pm

I am actually a little jealous. Never had cable until getting married. DH likes to leave the TV on and walk out of the room and it drives me nuts. I've been making a point of not going from TV -> Internet -> bed at night. At least this time of year, plopping down for a show at dinner time, and then making a point of getting up and doing something else tends to prevent me from "getting lost in that hopeless little screen" as Leonard Cohen so eloquently put it. Instead, I do some house work, go pull weeds, water the garden or take the dog for a walk.

Wouldn't want to give up home internet, but would like to get a little more structured about my surfing though, so it doesn't just turn into another form of vegging out.

Enjoy your newfound free time!
Keep calm and canter on.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 am

I'd actually like to do that, but a few years back, I had the opportunity to work from home instead of the office. I *love* working from home. BUT I couldn't possibly do it without cable internet, so no way I can chop that cord.

We don't have any cable TV, but with cable internet, we don't need it.

DH got a mass of Bose speakers all over the house, so he uses internet music sites a lot now.

I'm afraid we are wired for the near term.

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:54 pm

I work from home too so I have to have internet. I cut cable a few months ago and now just have Netflix.

I miss watching the news in the mornings and when I make dinner at night. Other than that, I don't miss it. I need one of those converter boxes so I can get the local channels.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:19 am

Good on you - we didn't even own a tv till 18mths ago - just didn't use it enough to justify it. Only reason we got one was it was at a price that was good enough to "justify". We couldn't live without the internet though - my OH in particular (gamer). We finally bought a big ladder on the weekend so will be installing the tv arial soon and will have free to air again.

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:51 pm

I dumped my satellite TV a couple of months ago. My gawd it was expensive! I only watched 3 or 4 channels, the rest was crap. I do have about 30 home dvds and I still get a couple movies a week via Netflix dvd. I tried an antennae but it couldn't get the range I need to for the local news. Lots of religious and shopping channels though, bleah.

I only have internet through my phone and I use it to run the laptop when I need to. I don't think I've become more productive without TV, but it sure feels good to save that $100 a month! Plus I save a bit on the electric bill. I have the radio on, but it doesn't use power like the tube.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 am

How are you enjoying the silence?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:55 pm

Chisamba wrote:How are you enjoying the silence?

So far I've kept myself so busy getting things done that I had been putting off that I have barely noticed!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”