Recipe help

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Recipe help

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 30, 2016 3:46 pm

In a moment of red wine induced madness I offered to host our Book Club in June.

We do a pot luck, but the hostess provides the main dish.

We have a mixture of vegetarians and carnivores. Anywhere between 8 and 15 people normally rock up.

May's hostess did Macaroni cheese. Last time I did it I did pasta with either a meat or a veggie sauce.

Any brilliant ideas?

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Recipe help

Postby Rosie B » Mon May 30, 2016 3:57 pm

Assemble your own fajitas? If you have refried beans as a topping as well as a meat choice, you should be covered. That might be too much of a process though for book club...

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 4:53 pm

Crock pot chili with turkey. Big antipasto salad with meats on the side for us carnivores. Make your own pizzas (use Boboli crusts). Eggplant rollups (stuffed with ricotta). Not all this on one night, just throwing out suggestions.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon May 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Spanakopita.

Vegetarian quiche.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm

I have a great and EASY veggie quiche using Bisquick called Easy Garden Bake. I will PM if you want.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Cuban beans and rice will work as a main for both vegetarians and carnivores, and leaves room for all sorts of sides. I can share the family recipe if you'd like.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Yes, please post recipes! I'm always on the lookout for new stuff. I've never cooked beans and rice so I'd like to try that anyway.

Quiche is an inspired idea. I could do veggie and Lorraine. I think the event is on 30th so it should be a warm and lovely evening to sit outdoors, so quiche might be perfect!

Thank you. I knew I could rely on what my husband calls "the horse ladies" for help :)

Moonshine
Greenie

Postby Moonshine » Mon May 30, 2016 9:23 pm

There is a really good crustless Swiss chard tart on the Internet. It has dairy and eggs, but is gluten free. Also, you can make it ahead and serve at room temp. Make-ahead is always my highest priority when I entertain!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 30, 2016 10:55 pm

This is the third generation adaption of my aunt's Cuban mother-in-law's recipe:

Half of a white onion, a few cloves of garlic, one green bell pepper (or several serranos), chopped up and sautéed in a big pot. When you feel like enough time has passed, add two cans of black beans (drained and rinsed, we don't need high blood pressure). Then I add dried a lot of oregano, a lot of cumin, salt, pepper, tiny amounts of white vinegar and white sugar, and stir it around. Then I try it, then I add various amounts of vinegar (I like a lot) and cumin. And so much cumin. And a few bay leaves. Then I let that cook until I am done waiting for it to cook. Meanwhile, cook a pot of rice. Serve beans over rice. I also add hot sauce, but Cuban dishes are a bit too mild for me!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:47 pm

heddylamar wrote:Then I let that cook until I am done waiting for it to cook.

Best recipe instruction ever! This sounds delicious; I'm going to make it soon.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:59 am

Canyon wrote:Spanakopita.

This was going to be my suggestion. It's easier than you think.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”