For Boots - Posting More

Suzon
Herd Member

For Boots - Posting More

Postby Suzon » Mon May 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I was a long time member of the UDBB. Never one of the hugely popular posters and sometimes few under the radar because I was "too busy" to post. But I do miss the busy heyday of the forum. So in the spirit of making this a healthy forum again. I make a pledge to post something at least once a week.

This week, I think I should get you caught up on my life. Last fall, DH and I started looking for our way out of Oakland. We own a successful building inspection business here. I run the office and it pretty much consumes my life. DH is our lead inspector, but his body is telling him his days of crawling under houses are numbered. We both dream of lush green woods and countryside. So last year, with that in mind, we started shopping for a retirement property...someplace other than expensive, dry California.

I voted to go home to Maine, but in the end, DH decided he was too frightened by real winter. So we got the idea to look at Oregon. We took a could trips up and fell in love with the coastal range. We looked at a lot of places, but kept going back to one property. Not 100% what we need for horse keeping, but it definitely ticked off many of our other boxes, including DH's request for open water. Long story short, we bought it.

It's just about 3 acres in the middle of nowhere between Eugene and the coast. It will work for the horses as long as we manage the grazing and build a nice solid sacrifice area. But the reason we bought the property is it has 1000 feet of creek front. We got told this week by a long time fisherman that we have one of the best spots for Steel-head and Salmon he's seen. We just like it because it supports a ton of wildlife and has a happy splashy-gurgly sound.

The downside of the property is the actual house, which, if we had any sense at all, we would tear down. Instead, we talked to someone this week about lifting it and putting a foundation under it. That's right, the home inspectors bought a house without a foundation....and a leaky roof, and termite damage, and smells like rat pee. It's cute.

Anyway, we took a week off and spent some time there last week improving the driveway and ripping the deck and the porch off the house.

Here's a few photos (you can click on them to see bigger versions):

This is one corner of the property.

Here's part of the creek.

And here's one of the cool features of the little town we're in.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: For Boots - Posting More

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 pm

I LOVE IT, especially the creek. You are house inspectors, you know what to do. And isn't half the fun of property making it your own? Congratulations!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon May 30, 2016 5:43 pm

That does look like a little piece of heaven! Good luck on the house renovation.

Being from NE, when I see a covered bridge, I always think Vermont and New Hampshire!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon May 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Magnificent. Coastal Oregon is probably my favorite place, spent some time there a few years ago and have been dreaming of going back or relocating...

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Apropos of nothing ... Wish I had your camera and skills at Al's Auto Body Shop and Hosta Arboretum yesterday. Shots from my phone, in the deep woods, are dismal.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Wow! So, you bought a fixer upper on a great piece of land. And, being in the home inspection business, you knew what issues were ' minor ' in the grand scheme of things.

When we bought our first house, we had three little kids and were planning to have a fourth within a year or two. The house we bought was 900 sq ft with an attached one car garage you couldn't fit a minivan into. And, it was original 1960s decor--in 1996!! But, it was structurally sound, on two acres on a short dead end country road. I actually cried when dh told me he wanted to buy it-- cried because the house was so small and ugly.

We got it cheap, and with Dh's family background in residential construction, soon renovated the tiny garage into two big bedrooms for the kids. By the time we sold it seven years later, it was 1200 sq ft with a large "3" car garage added on the opposite end, a big open kitchen/dining room, two bathrooms (originally one) and a laundry area just inside the back door. We sold it for about 3x what we paid for it, and about twice the money we'd put into remodeling and updating it.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon May 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Congrats! Everything will eventually work itself into place. I'm betting the reason the salmon like the creek is that it is (or looks to be) natural, un-manicured, free of pesticide run-off. See where I'm going with this :) The biggest mistake folks make with stream-side properties is turning them into golf course carpet lawn from house to water's edge. Anyway, keep us posted!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Mareless wrote:Wow! So, you bought a fixer upper on a great piece of land. And, being in the home inspection business, you knew what issues were ' minor ' in the grand scheme of things.

We actually bought a house that seems to have been built by a committee of trolls. :lol: Definitely a non-professional on-going weekend project. It is 672 square feet...and that's with the addition. It apparently started out as a 2 room cabin in the 1950s and was supported off the ground on single cinder blocks. The front sill looks like a termite freeway. The electrical service is being ripped off the wall because the house is sliding off the sticks it's sitting on. In the walls we've opened, the rats have carried off all (and I mean ALL) of the insulation and left rat poo in it's place. Really, it's only redeeming features are the well and septic.

So I truly hope we can turn it into something as nice as what you managed to do. Right now we're just jingling it doesn't fall down before we get it propped back up. :shock: :roll:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Oh, yes. We have lived in a non-professional ongoing weekend project for the past 16 years. It's a trip. We try and rip out and replace something every year... the problem is that after 16 years we haven't replaced all the amateur-hour stuff and some of the original remodel we did needs some work too. So this year its 5 replacement windows AND repainting and staining. And the garage wiring. And now, as of today, it would appear that the water line to the barn is toast. Gulp.

But I don't want to live anywhere else but my money pit slice of heaven, so there's that.

Have fun, that looks stunningly pretty country.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon May 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Love the pictures and the property. You know the rule, the house doesn't exist at all if there are no photos ;)

{} for finding something that sounds like you'll both be very happy with even if you are rebuilding the whole house :D

no.stirrups
Novice

Postby no.stirrups » Mon May 30, 2016 11:21 pm

As I'm in the process of buying a fixer-upper, I must say this thread has made me feel much more confident about what I'm headed into: my house has a solid foundation AND roof!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 31, 2016 12:31 am

no.stirrups wrote:As I'm in the process of buying a fixer-upper, I must say this thread has made me feel much more confident about what I'm headed into: my house has a solid foundation AND roof!

I'm soooo Jealous! :mrgreen:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 31, 2016 12:49 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:Love the pictures and the property. You know the rule, the house doesn't exist at all if there are no photos ;)

{} for finding something that sounds like you'll both be very happy with even if you are rebuilding the whole house :D

And here you go. This photo makes it look good.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 am

Lol, Barely has charm going for it. Good the property is so lovely.

Have you actually run numbers as to cost comparison of fixing vs starting from scratch. I think you might be $$$ adhead with this one to bulldoze :shock: .

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 31, 2016 1:22 am

Gorgeous property! I love quirky houses, but have to agree with Tuffy -- bulldoze and start over.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 31, 2016 1:30 am

Tuffytown wrote:Lol, Barely has charm going for it. Good the property is so lovely.

Have you actually run numbers as to cost comparison of fixing vs starting from scratch. I think you might be $$$ adhead with this one to bulldoze :shock: .

Yes, I've run a lot of numbers on it. It's close, but it looks like it's still cheaper to keep the ugly duckling. We are getting quotes for certain things we can't do ourselves...like the foundation. We'd have to pay for a foundation either way, but it depends on what the lift part of it costs. As it boils down, pretty much the quote on the lift will make or break whether the house stays.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue May 31, 2016 2:16 am

So you think you are going to rebuild that rather than start over? Will you be making it larger at all? :)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 31, 2016 3:13 am

Yes, I have a couple different floor plans that will put it at about 1000 square feet, which is all we really need. What you see now will be open concept kitchen, living room and bathroom. Then we'll add 2 bedrooms and a laundry/mudroom. We'll be salvaging the cool solid wood kitchen cabinets, the tongue and groove pine on the walls, the wood stove, and the porcelain enamel steel bathtub. We'll also reuse a lot of the framing lumber from the existing interior walls. There's only a couple places where the subflooring needs to be replaced and the same with the roof sheathing. We will replace the front sill, all the windows and doors, put in new wiring (it has a modern 200 amp panel...go figure) and plumbing, new drywall, etc. We'll put in clerestory windows on the wierd raised wall in the roofline and re-roof with mod bit. Then we'll put on a new porch and deck and uniform Hardi-board siding.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue May 31, 2016 6:36 am

Gorgeous property. I know the house will work itself out (whether you bulldoze or remodel).

Congrats.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 31, 2016 9:19 am

Lovely property!!
I'm so not bothered with houses, I'm lucky the one I've got is ok. I'd live in that one :)
The creek is gorgeous :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm

Suzon, my cousin and his wife moved to Oregon several years ago from Las Vegas and are loving it there. If you ever get to Portland, stop by the Urban Farmer for dinner. Tell Chris Starkus you know me! He'll take good care of you.
As a native New Englander myself, I have decided that real winters are starting to scare ME!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue May 31, 2016 1:06 pm

What a lovely place to call home!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Suzon, it's great to have an update and visuals! I fantasize about having a little 3 acre property in a lovely setting like yours---that sounds so much more manageable than our current situation. Of course I am speaking after a long weekend of way too much property work. At least I think I have talked DH out of pursuing purchase of another 40 acres that adjoins our current place (at least for now...).

I know the home will work out in the end with the wisdom you all have. It is almost sort of cool in a mid-century gas station sort of way, but if the cost of lifting it is more than bulldoze/re-build, you know what to do.

Good luck and don't be a stranger!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Congrats! I kind of like the house, actually!
What a beautiful property!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue May 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Congrats! I kind of like the house, actually!

It's so ugly it grows on you. :lol:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue May 31, 2016 5:40 pm

Suzon wrote:It's so ugly it grows on you. :lol:

:lol:

Me? I'd need something a bit larger just to accommodate my wheelchair ;)

But love the property. Let me know when it is fully accessible ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 31, 2016 6:27 pm

Suzon wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:Congrats! I kind of like the house, actually!

It's so ugly it grows on you. :lol:

eh, I wouldn't say it's that ugly... but I like odd houses- depending!
:lol:
No subdivisions for me, thank you!

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm

After having been through many major remodels of an 80-90 year old home, I can see potential in this one. It is different. But if you get a nice piece of property with it, different is okay! Imagine looking back on it one day and seeing the difference. I'll have to one day post my before and after photos of my home. It is still different but I finally love it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 am

Congratulations! I spent plenty of time over in Florence during college, but I don't think I've ever seen that covered bridge. Lots of shacks... err... cabins like that out there in the woods. I'd also vote for bulldozing it though, sadly. Considering what the moisture does to wood in that area, I'd feel better starting from scratch, and suspect you'd end up replacing almost all of it anyway. Good luck!
Keep calm and canter on.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Hahahaha!!! You'll be posting once a week for sure - if you can find the time while renovating your new place - post after post of the trials and tribulations. :lol: :lol:
It looks like a wonderful piece of property, and an...interesting project. Congratulations!!

This will be a fun journey to take with you! ;)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Well, the first quote, which included helical (screw type) piers came back as half our budget (which is 6 figures). So no, we're not doing that. Waiting on other bids to come in on more traditional piers or foundation options.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Suzon, I was wondering whether you all like the location of the current house. Is there any "site prep" you will save if you do choose to re-build?

Just asking for my own education! I have a bad habit of looking at properties with "interesting" dwellings on them :-)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Suzon, I was wondering whether you all like the location of the current house. Is there any "site prep" you will save if you do choose to re-build?

Just asking for my own education! I have a bad habit of looking at properties with "interesting" dwellings on them :-)

Any new dwelling will have to go approximately in the footprint of the old dwelling. We are constrained in where we build because it has to be 75 feet from the creek and 55 feet from the center of the road. So since the property is a thin strip between the road and the creek with one "boob" shape jutting out where the house sits, we're limited on building sites.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:32 pm

I'm another admirer of the new property! Plus Suzon will be my "neighbor". Well, about an hour and a half drive, but close enough!! :-)

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Suzon wrote:Yes, I have a couple different floor plans that will put it at about 1000 square feet, which is all we really need. What you see now will be open concept kitchen, living room and bathroom. Then we'll add 2 bedrooms and a laundry/mudroom. We'll be salvaging the cool solid wood kitchen cabinets, the tongue and groove pine on the walls, the wood stove, and the porcelain enamel steel bathtub. We'll also reuse a lot of the framing lumber from the existing interior walls. There's only a couple places where the subflooring needs to be replaced and the same with the roof sheathing. We will replace the front sill, all the windows and doors, put in new wiring (it has a modern 200 amp panel...go figure) and plumbing, new drywall, etc. We'll put in clerestory windows on the wierd raised wall in the roofline and re-roof with mod bit. Then we'll put on a new porch and deck and uniform Hardi-board siding.

HEY THANKS FOR THE THREAD! We are always happy to see pictures, which we can count on from you.

Have you considered keeping the existing structure as either an outbuilding, barn or garage, and therefore not redoing the foundation? Then you build anew in some other location with a new foundation? If that would work (no idea of the actual foundational issues), you'd get your 1000 sq feet dwelling AND an outbuilding. You can transfer across all those cabinets and salvage interior stuff as well.

Just musing on your behalf.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:21 am

boots-aregard wrote: HEY THANKS FOR THE THREAD! We are always happy to see pictures, which we can count on from you.

Have you considered keeping the existing structure as either an outbuilding, barn or garage, and therefore not redoing the foundation? Then you build anew in some other location with a new foundation? If that would work (no idea of the actual foundational issues), you'd get your 1000 sq feet dwelling AND an outbuilding. You can transfer across all those cabinets and salvage interior stuff as well.

Just musing on your behalf.

Muse away! The only problem with keeping it for storage is that if we don't put something under it, it will eventually fall down. It's literally supported on vertical 4x4's at the "high" end and has move a good 6 inches off center. If they lean just a little more, it will fall (only 30 inches but enough to make a mess).

We have another contractor going out to look at it this week. He thinks we can do regular piers for a lot less money.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”