Yesterday's lesson

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Yesterday's lesson

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Was so much fun! I rode a 20 year old ex polopony named Pukara, aka Puka. Instructor is Kim. Puka has a bit of a sway back, chestnut, about 15.2. Been there, done that. The only thing he doesn't like is Orlando the donkey. He planted his feet and got all bug eyed, but that was it. I saddled up an all purpose, flat with no padding saddle, and hoicked up my stirrups. It felt perfectly natural. Going back to my roots. Kim said "remember, you're riding English, not dressage." Guess that's hunter speak. We trotted and walked and practiced my 2 point/half seat. Puka is a great guy and I had no ounce of anxiety.

I told Kim I eventually want to jump--just baby jumps, etc. Nothing fancy. She is also keeping an ear out for a share board although I'm perfectly happy riding once a week now. And I'm not even sore. It felt so right riding hunt seat. Bob was a total dressage horse and we never jumped (although my trainer did a jumping schooling show with him). He was so well trained that any shift of my body weight forward would cause him to walk....

Next lesson is in 2 weeks--Kim has shows next weekend. So I'm back, baby! I'm retiring my dressage queen crown and looking for a hunter princess tiara. And rust breeches......

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Yesterday's lesson

Postby Canyon » Mon May 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Yay! I'm glad that you are happily back in the saddle, even if it is hunt seat!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon May 30, 2016 7:00 pm

I miss jumping. Can I live vicariously through your two-point?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 7:11 pm

You may, but you might be really out of shape and unable to hold the position for more than 3 strides!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 31, 2016 1:37 am

Lovely update

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue May 31, 2016 3:23 am

Sounds lovely! When we do ring work (not often) I work on dressage, but for the most part, at this point in my life I just want to wander around back country roads and enjoy the scenery. I do that in my dressage saddle.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 am

Man, now I miss jumping again! Glad it went well...I love that they are using the polo horses. I think they are fantastic for beginners and re-riders!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 31, 2016 9:30 am

Sounds really cool!
I jump a bit (very small stuff!), although we don't have the whole hunter thing happening down here. I've only learned about it through American forums.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”