Blue Cheese...recipes? I'm obsessed

Linden16
Herd Member

Blue Cheese...recipes? I'm obsessed

Postby Linden16 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:31 am

So Ive enjoyed blue cheese ever since I moved to AZ and started eating "fancy" food from AJ's. It's where I was introduced to arugula, st. Andres Camembert, lamb and other finer things. I'm currently on a blue cheese kick and I am looking for fellow UDBB'ers recommendations on tried and true recipes.

I currently make an incredible blue cheese salad dressing/dip and blue cheese hamburger.

What else? Like blue cheese mashed potatoes? Hmm...blue cheese broccoli? I'm dreaming up things I don't even think exist

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Blue Cheese...recipes? I'm obsessed

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Linden16 wrote:What else? Like blue cheese mashed potatoes? Hmm...blue cheese broccoli? I'm dreaming up things I don't even think exist

I can't eat blue cheese which makes me sad as I love it.

Any recipe only doesn't exist in your mind. If you think it sounds good, make it and see :) I think I've seen blue cheese in mashed potatoes on one of the TV cooking shows. Maybe crumble over a good steak?

Is AJs worth the drive?? (it's over half an hour away from me so I haven't tried it yet...)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:06 pm

I like a good black and blue burger, and while I haven't tried black and blue steak, it sounds just as yummy. Of course I like to dip things like wings in blue cheese dip, and they say that peaches, like grilled peaches, go incredibly well with blue cheese. You can also use it make most anything "au gratin"- potatoes, gnocchi, crab, etc...

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:09 pm

When you run out of ideas, try some of these (at least the ones with good reviews!)

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:59 am

I love stinky blues, but only indulge when my husband is away (he can't stand the smell). First night is almost always room temp Stilton smeared on crackers.

The next night I make mac and cheese. While caramelizing an onion in a skillet, cook the pasta (farfalle has the best shape and texture for this dish). In the last few minutes of cooking the pasta, ladle 1/2 cup or so of pasta water into the onions. Add the cheese (Gorgonzola is fine for this), salt, and the cooked and drained pasta. Toss, continue cooking for a few minutes, then serve with a healthy grind of pepper. Diced, fresh from the garden tomatoes are great on top of this in the summer. The original Moosewood recipe stated either pasta water or red wine. I like tart red wines alongside this dish, but used in the dish it just overpowers the cheese.

Gorgonzola and tomato soup is a good winter dish.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:01 am

Fennel and blue cheese 'pie' (really quiche): http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/jgf/2 ... z4AZWtg4LQ

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 am

Easiest thing ever.
If you can find *good* tomatoes (it's just not the right time of year, but they're out there), slice 'em up, put some clue cheese on them, and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. That's it. Done.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:24 am

Astral wrote:Easiest thing ever.
If you can find *good* tomatoes (it's just not the right time of year, but they're out there), slice 'em up, put some clue cheese on them, and put them under the broiler for a few minutes. That's it. Done.

I think Linden16 said she's in AZ. Our growing season is backwards from the rest of the country. We have 'maters and lots of other produce. Our growing season is starting to end for the summer. Things will pick back up in the fall :)

I just got some organic melons (some small French ones that taste like yummy, sweet cantaloupe), green beans, small 'maters and some pepperocini peppers. Store also has still strawberries, summer squashes, onions of all kinds. Their CSA will be shutting down for the summer in a few weeks. Still waiting for the corn :)

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:I think Linden16 said she's in AZ. Our growing season is backwards from the rest of the country. We have 'maters and lots of other produce. Our growing season is starting to end for the summer. Things will pick back up in the fall :)

I just got some organic melons (some small French ones that taste like yummy, sweet cantaloupe), green beans, small 'maters and some pepperocini peppers. Store also has still strawberries, summer squashes, onions of all kinds. Their CSA will be shutting down for the summer in a few weeks. Still waiting for the corn :)

So jealous! Our season is just getting under way up here. I'm fortunate to live near a year-round greenhouse, so I'm still getting *some* fresh and local throughout the year, but it's not enough :)

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 am

Smitten Kitchen: She has wonderful recipes.
http://smittenkitchen.com/search-result ... 4070882j11

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:34 am

I'm actually in the Shuswap, for 7 years now. But my "culinary education" kicked off when I lived in AZ for 5 years :)

These are great ideas everyone! Thanks

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:58 am

One of my favorites for a quick meal.

Slice cabbage thin like cole slaw. Sautee until caramelizing, I season with a bit of salt, pepper, caraway seed, oregano and tarragon . Sautee prawns in butter and garlic. Steam a few corn tortillas. Lay a bed of the cabbage in the tortilla, put 3-4 praws on and sprinkle crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola on top. Nummy.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:10 am

Coincidentally, my husband's out of town next week ... and CSA has us loaded down with cabbage :)

If I can find fennel, that too will be on the menu!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I think we're done with cabbage for the season but fennel is still at mine :) They have a little farm store for in-between CSA-box visits. I get my fill of chickens, ducks and baby goats while I'm there :D

What do you do with fennel and cabbage?

But, thanks for the suggestion on caramelizing the cabbage. When I get a head, I'm always a bit stumped with what to do with it.... looking forward to being in the CSA for a full season starting in the fall.

I'm always looking for easy, simple recipes for produce...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Curry-flavored braised or carmelized cabbage is great. I also like raw or lightly dressed (in a vinaigrette) cabbage in tacos/lettuce wraps.

Fennel is great braised or raw in a citrus salad.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Cabbage, russian staple so it appears in lots of my cooking. Schee, which is no beet borscht, a lovely cold weather soup and a vegetarian pie using the caramelized cabbage with hard boiled eggs, sauteed onion and mushrooms.

I often just eat just the leftover sauteed cabbage with the crumbled gorgonzola the next day for lunch.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:08 am

Pizza topping of sliced pears and blue cheese. (Gorgonzola is the official choice, but I use any veined cheese on hand.)

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:41 am

Rhianon wrote:Pizza topping of sliced pears and blue cheese. (Gorgonzola is the official choice, but I use any veined cheese on hand.)

Add some caramelized onions and a little pesto to that and it is one of my favorite pizzas

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:53 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
But, thanks for the suggestion on caramelizing the cabbage. When I get a head, I'm always a bit stumped with what to do with it.... looking forward to being in the CSA for a full season starting in the fall.

It's not exactly a hot weather dish, but I frequently make un-stuffed cabbage. It's easy and a good comfort food, as well as low-carb. I like to take it in a more Italian direction by omitting the cinnamon/nutmeg and adding red pepper flakes, olives, oregano, basil, and moar garlic.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/ground ... abbage.htm

The other thing I do is just cut cabbage into 4-8 wedges, depending on the size, drape each wedge with bacon, pepper liberally, wrap in foil and bake until fork tender. You could omit the bacon and do olive oil if you're vegetarian. Or just cut them into 1/2" thick "steaks" and bake uncovered on a sheet pan, so they get little crispy edges.
Keep calm and canter on.

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Oh man I'm drooling. Someone tell me the difference between Gorgonzola and regular blue cheese please???

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Gorgonzola is a type (the italian type)of blue cheese but a bit creamier, not as dry and crumbly as regular blue cheese although there are dryer gorgonzolas too. I prefer the dolce (softer, sweeter).

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:26 am

Thanks Tuffy :)

I freaking love blue cheese. It's like a whole new world. A creamy, stinky world where everything falls apart.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:09 pm

One of my favorite blue cheeses is "Bleu d'Auvergne" from the south central region of France. Truly spicy and scrumptious.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”