My little dog has some alpha issues - help appreciated

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

My little dog has some alpha issues - help appreciated

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:54 am

So we have a 4yr old chihuahua/terrier/? mix - small about 17 pounds. He likes some small dogs but not big dogs and is guarded with meeting people. Just to provide you with some clue to his temperament. He is super smart but when triggered doesn't respond well to being put down. "No" has to be repeated multiple times and even then he may not give up.

So tonight he was bothering our elderly dog mounting him. (Both dogs will mount each other which makes me crazy.....) I stopped him twice and the 3rd time I went after him with a rolled paper. He growled at me which I will not tolerate. I dragged him out and rolled him on his back to hold him. He didn't like it and tried to escape. I was sitting on the sofa so he jumped to get next to me - I pushed him off - he jumped back on. This occurred for about 5-6 times as he is very fast and would not stay off the sofa. So I told him to lay quiet next to me and be still. I KNOW HE WON this round but he at least left the other dog alone. Any suggestions how to handle a tough little alpha dog?

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: My little dog has some alpha issues - help appreciated

Postby Kelo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 pm

My understanding is that a dog like yours is not actually an alpha dog.

A true alpha dog is the one who, with a mere glance or tiny gesture, can make other dogs (and usually people too!) behave the way they want them to. If you've ever met one of these dogs, when they walk into a room everyone else metaphorically straightens their shirt and tidies their hair. That alpha dog doesn't actually DO anything truly noticeable, because they don't have to.

What you more likely have is an insecure dog, and they do all this harassing/humping stuff because of that insecurity. They're the guy standing in the middle of the room yelling "RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!" (do you watch South Park? use that accent) -- they're nervous and so they need to do something, so might as well make an attempt to convince everyone else that they're not scared. (Incidentally, your other dog isn't buying it, which is why they start arguing.)

Alpha rolling him probably won't help. As you say "when triggered doesn't respond well..." he's probably got a sensory overload and is freezing/panicking/going on the defensive.

I have a dog similar to this, and "putting him in his place" is a good way to escalate a situation and get bit. Positive reinforcement works very well with this dog, though -- because it increases his confidence instead of scaring him -- and lets me find ways to getting him to "buy in" to what I want him to do.

Also plain old deferring a situation. So if he gets super riled up, wanting to harass the other dog, it's time for a time out -- into your kennel for 20 minutes.

Also think about instituting the "nothing in life is free" program (you can google that to find more info). But basically if he wants his dinner or a treat, he has to sit. If he wants to go outside, he has to sit and stay. If he wants to get on the couch, he sure can't just jump up there -- he has to come up, sit and ask before you say yes. If he wants out of his kennel, he has to sit quietly after you open the crate door until you say OK. If he wants to play with a toy, he's gotta sit first. It requires you to be consistent, which might be difficult, but he will also start looking to you for direction/leadership in a much easier way than spanking and starting a fight.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:02 pm

WOW Kelo. Great insight!
Josette, Kelo is spot on. Our dog Sherman had similar issues. We actually took him to an animal behaviorist! She said similar things to what Kelo said. We had ALSO alpha rolled Sherman and that did nothing.
I have nothing to add because Kelo's post is exactly what we were taught to do!

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:10 pm

YES!!! Kelo - you are RIGHT ON in your psychological analysis of describing this dog's temperament!! I always felt he reacted in certain situations from fear and that it was not real aggression. You are correct when he felt threatened by me being forceful in my discipline - he acted aggressive by growling. He does respond VERY well to positive feedback and is a true love bug. He truly loves his people.

Thank you so much for your reply. It was extremely helpful to handle this little guy. He is a rescue and so you never really know about their past.....

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Have you heard of Victoria Stilwell? She has is a dog trainer, all about positive reinforcement, has very interesting resources and articles and blogs, some including why the "alpha" thing and wolf comparisons (not that you made that comparison), especially as it relates to dog/human interactions, is not a great way to be analyzing situations and why. Has many suggestions and examples throughout. She also trains trainers in her school of thought, all positive reinforcement, with the ability for trainers to be "certified" in her "school" so people can seek out a trainer in their area in line with what she teaches...no experiences with any of those folks. You may find some really good info on her sites that might give you more ideas of other ways the situation could have been handled so you have tools in your tool box for next time.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Lots of good advice from Kelo. "Nothing in Life is Free" was a basic program for my old rescue Weim and also for any of my dogs going through adolescent obnoxiousness. You may find it helpful to have the dog on lead in the house (if not leash aggressive) to help you institute such a program. Do long time outs in a down stay on lead (you have a foot on it). It's a way of teaching a time out while he is near you.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:01 pm

I appreciate the feedback. This positive reinforcement technique is certainly more my approach. It should totally be applied to ALL FORMS of training IMO. My DH would do the submit posture - but I didn't care for it. Maybe he picked it up from TV..... Kelo really nailed this dog's personality and psyche with his lack of confidence/fear. He shakes during a vet visit so we use a muzzle as he has tried to bite the vet during an exam. He was obviously afraid of a stranger feeling him up and giving vaccine. The muzzle actually calmed him.

I sent DH this link to read and will tell him this is the method we will use. I certainly can see this little guy snapping. This situation was escalating as Kelo described when he kept coming after me on the sofa. I'm glad I posted here after that incident and got some valuable advise! :)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:56 am

Kelo has some good insight. And I totally get the "alpha" animal because I have an Alpha mare. She came into her power at about 4 years old and hasn't really be questioned in any herd since (now 27). She just walks in and everyone says "yes, ma'am" even though she's 14.3. Very sure of herself with other horses. Her daughter is not alpha and she's the one who makes faces, chargers,squeals, kicks, etc.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Kelo nailed it. Good luck with your dog, Josette!

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:44 am

Yes, Kelo nailed it. I purchased a JRT mix from a rescue when he was 6 months old. He and sibs had been found near fainting on a dirt road and emaciated. They had had him 2 months when I got him.

My friends thought him autistic but I felt he was just scared. I worked with building his confidence up and it worked great. He chases my donkey and enjoys himself so much but scares me bc if the donkey gets him, he will kill my little guy who I just adore.

What I did that has worked: tied him up in the barn so he could not chase Homer just once -- worked for a week. Have to do it periodically as he just loves to chase him. But, it did work the very first time. He is smarter than me and understood he was not to chase the donk if he wanted to run free.

Just two evenings ago, got into a porcupine and we were quite a ways out on the trails. I was able to pull most of the quills outside his mouth off and even two from inside but they were too slimy for me without pliers. He actually held his mouth open for me to try!

He's only 2 yo. Lots and lots of patience. Everyone thinks he needs a good whipping but I can't whip a dog that I believe is acting out of fear.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”