What is eating my petunia(s)??

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

What is eating my petunia(s)??

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:17 am

Something is eating my petunias. I had a lovely purple and white one in a flower pot on the front porch and noticed today that something had a good snack. Whatever it is, is eating the flowers only. Not the plant. No evidence left during the day so it is something munching at night. I have never had them decimated in a pot like that. In the ground, yes. Evil bugs :evil: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

hoopoe
Herd Member

Re: What is eating my petunia(s)??

Postby hoopoe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:51 am

opossum would probably be my first guess. No knowing what your immediate environment is like, deer will do this too.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:21 pm

I came home from work and did some sleuthing with the flashlight and I had to search but found the evil things...earwigs. Way down in the cup of the flower.

Off today to find something to kill them, I hope. I have never had problems with plants in pots before. In a couple days, they have just decimated all the flowers on this plant. Luckily, the other plant in the pot seems to not be as delectable.

Susan

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 pm

The very name is repulsive. Get 'em.

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:22 pm

Oh yes, I'm on the hunt to find a way to kill the squiggly bastards too! And I always put marigolds around my flower and veggie beds and something has been eating them. The foliage has been literally stripped from most of them. Of course they are now dead. Grrrr

I put slug bait out the other night since I've seen their trails up the planters. This is the time of year when I want to have a duck. Except then I'd be dealing with duck poo and not dead plants. :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Yes..nasty bugs and worms. I think one reason they when to town on that plant was it was sick. It maintained lots of blooms but the foliage had changed to a light yellowish green instead of dark green. I was able to find a nice replacement petunia so may that other one RIP. I let the earwig bait and dust sit around for a while before I planted the new one. So far it looks robust and nothing is munching on it (nearly a week now) :D .

Susan

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”