Want to go on a trai ride with us?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Want to go on a trai ride with us?

Postby AmityBee » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:34 pm

In the spirit of posting more, and because some might like to see what riding in other parts of the world looks like (*I* certainly do!)

would you like to go on a trail lride with us?

Last weekend, a friend and I went on a 3 hours trail ride. I had promised her a while ago that I would show her the trails across the "Kanal", since she hadn't been there yet, and that is where we went.

I made myself a camera strap I can wear around my neck, in order to make it easier to take pictures from horseback and of course I had to try it. (Remember, I booked a trail riding vacation in the pyrenees later this year and really needed to figure out how to take pictures for that.)

Unfortunately horsefly-season is already upon us and that put a bit of a damper on an otherwise lovely trail ride.

So, here we go. This is what a trail ride looks like in Germany, NRW. Very rural with a lot of agricultural use. Not the worst trails, certainly not the most scenic trails either. That's Germany, not much wilderness left, fields and roads and people... :)

Here's a video. Not quite 3 hours long but quite long... *sorry* I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJurkKDM0I

Moonshine
Greenie

Re: Want to go on a trai ride with us?

Postby Moonshine » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Ahhh...that brings back memories! I can't believe it's been 15 (!) years, but I used to do some of those similar trails...but only the paved ones, because I did them on Rollerblades! I used to take the bus to Hiltrup I think, then put my skates on and go! Down to the canal, all over the place.

On biking days, I used to go west instead of south. There was a neat Cloister there somewhere. Thanks for the virtual trip!

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:33 pm

If there was a way to teleport us to there.....the answer is 'Heck Yeah!' Actually it reminds me too of the riding we did as kids. A bunch of my elementary school classmates and I would meet up after school and ride in areas in the Northeast much like this. We would do so for hours until it got too dark and we had to make our respective ways home or we got into trouble because we were 'explorin' someone's apple orchard or hay field LOL......you know kids with ponies left as a group to their own devices ;)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:13 pm

What good trail horses you and your friend have.

I think the design of your camera strap is a success!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I would love to come with but I don't have your courage. Looks like fun.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Moonshine, really?! The world really is a village. :) This is a little north of MS, so basically the other way. What were you doing in Münster?

Exvet, did you guess, the little guy is a Welsh Cob too. I think the name is giving it away, even though he's all hidden under his "fly"sheet. He's one of the two individuals that convinced me to get a Welsh. He used to be a spoiled little brat of a pony. Now he's an old man and entitled to his own opinions, which basically amounts to the same thing... lol

Canyon, thanks :) and yes, no excuse for the pyrenees now. And I'm sure those picture will have many, much more scenic views!

PaulaO, ah, not much courage needed on the right horse. Weren't you planning a riding vacation yourself? Dressage and trails somewhere nice, like Portugal or Spain?!

Moonshine
Greenie

Postby Moonshine » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Heh...yep. I was enrolled at the university there for a year, doing dissertation research (Germanistik).

I have to say: I've lived in several German cities, but Muenster was by far the rainiest!
Edited to add: and I say that as someone from Seattle!
Last edited by Moonshine on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Moonshine wrote:I have to say: I've lived in several German cities, but Muenster was by far the rainiest!

Yeah, legend has it, that we have more words for rain than the inuit have for snow... ;) :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 pm

I love it! Thanks for sharing your part of the world. Great footage and it is so cool to share our "locals."

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:25 pm

I loved watching that!! What a nice place to ride, with great roads and trails. Surprised me that you were suddenly riding over a motorway! I like seeing where other people live, and where they keep their horses etc.
Thanks for sharing :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:39 am

Lovely ride, what a nice horse, and I enjoyed the look at the barnyard.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm

This was so enjoyable, thanks for sharing! :D

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Wonderful. Thank you!

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:54 am

Can't ride my horse for a while and this gave me a wonderful feeling of riding! Thank You.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 am

Thanks so much for sharing! What wonderful horses your friend and you have. I also enjoyed seeing your barn.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”