Explaining Gaps in Employment

Tulsa
Greenie

Explaining Gaps in Employment

Postby Tulsa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:00 am

Once upon a time ago I taught high school. I was kind of great at it.

I also wanted to kill myself every day.

Those facts are not actually related. I was young, I was in an abusive relationship and I really, REALLY hated my life. Thanks to Captain Assface I plumbed depths of depression I had no idea existed. (Although I miraculously managed to avoid plumber's crack. Or any crack.)

Fun times.

So when I ditched Captain Assface, I also ditched the job. He had convinced me that I needed to give him all my money and I did. ALL of it. In my head, he and that job became inextricably linked, so when I ditched him, I ditched the job too. I got my brain back; a complete fresh start. I went to work at an awesome bakery that not-so-awesomely burnt down.

Life goes on.

I married DH. We moved for his job and I went back to the horse world. And got bored.

After much wine, contemplation, and discussion with DH, I enrolled in a Masters of Library Science program with a concentration in high school librarianship. Yes, I realize this is a niche job, but I think I could be really good at it and have watched SchoolSpring enough over the years to know that enough positions come up to be comfortable going down this road.

Except…

How do I explain the gap in relevant employment when the truth is so messy? I have several glowing letters of recommendation from the school I taught at, impressive grades in the MLS program, and a boatload of book-nerd enthusiasm, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will be asked about the four years I spent making cake and riding horses. (Yes, I realize the big girl panties answer is “I should’ve thought about that before a drastic and ill-fated career change,” but I can’t change the past.)

The only relevant thing I’m coming up with is saying I wrote a book, which is true, but definitely didn’t take four years. (And since it’s only JUST gone out on submission I feel like that would jinx things!)

Any thoughts??

tl;dr How do you handle gaps in employment during the interview process?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Re: Explaining Gaps in Employment

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:51 am

Tell the truth. Exactly like you have written it here. Nobody will bat an eyelash and they will think even more highly of you than they do already.

-scruffy (MS LIS, Simmons College)

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:29 am

What Scruffy said. One is allowed to have a life, you know! Makes you a more rounded person.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:38 am

As above! That you got married, made cakes and rode horses, and now you've decided it's time to go back to your other work.
They don't need any more detail than that.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:05 am

I definitely don't think you should go into your personal details.

On your resume, if that's the issue, I wouldn't mention it or I'd call it a sabbatical.

If it comes in in person say that you took some personal time off to refresh and you explored different interests like baking and writing, and it helped you lead yourself to your current career choice.

Please do not talk about relationships and depression. TMI.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:11 am

Ditto - totally agree with exactly Zevida said. Good Luck!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Call it a sabbatical that included writing a book.

Or you could say that the health of a family member caused you to need a job with a lower level of responsibility/greater level of flexibility, and that person's health issue is now resolved, leaving you free to return to a career job. No need to say that you are the family member. I would definitely leave horses out of it. It could make you seem like you only need to dabble in working.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm with the 'tell the truth' with respect to the "gap" between teaching and current (i.e., baking cakes, riding horses, needed a break from the work force) IF asked. If not asked, don't volunteer anything.

None of employer's business why you needed a break from the workforce (i.e., Capt A is none of their business).

On the resume, leave the gap in. If you are concerned about the gap when you are applying, maybe mention it in the cover letter. There you have a chance to sell why you are the most qualified candidate for the job you are applying for.

I like Zivida's suggestions.

Capt A is out of your life, keep it that way :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:58 pm

You explored other opportunities.

Do not mention depression or abuse,. It is not relevant and will give a preconceived impression that is irrelevant to your current skills. Speak to your future, not your past. You do not have a gap. You were working,. You have variety, Bakery and writing.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:59 pm

Actually- I disagree with zevida. I'd be suspicious of someone who avoided all personal details. I'd think they had something to hide, especially if it all was painted in rose-colored hues. I'd be much more inclined to trust the person who said simply that they had a difficult life event and took the time to regroup and rebuild. Just taking time off to bake cakes makes you sound like a flake, no disrespect to the profession- the emphasis is on the word "just". If you were baking cakes for a reason, then it's better.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 pm

Nope, do NOT mention abusive relationships or depression. I'm a librarian, and it's still a very conservative field, and people do not want to hear details of your life before they know you (and sometimes not even after they know you). Just say you were taking time off to explore your interests and get your MLS. Most likely you will not be asked. Many people take time off or gap years.

Tulsa
Greenie

Postby Tulsa » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm

(Replying on my phone, so beware typos and lack of quotes!)

Thanks for all the input. To be clear, I was never planning to share gory details in an interview :shock: Saying it to internet strangers is an entirely different story than saying it to people looking at you when you want then to give you money!

I was considering using the 'caring for sick family' line if it came up. Scruffy, what you said about "just baking cakes" is exactly what I'm worried about. It sounds super flaky!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Maybe just say personal issues... caring for sick family (unless you were the "sick family") isn't really true and yes, "just" cakes kinda downplays things.

You did need a break from the workforce. During this time you decided you wanted to move in a different career direction and are pursing your MLS.

I think an employer might need to think twice if they start pushing as they'd be delving into potential none-of-their-business territory.

IMO, you do need to answer their questions but only answer their question, don't provide too much information and don't keep talking :)

I am more than impressed that you've picked yourself up and moving in a direction that sounds interesting and challenging to you!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:35 am

Don't get me wrong. Cakes are pretty much my favorite thing in the world! I wouldn't say "caring for sick family". I'd tell the truth without any details. "Took time off after a difficult family time" is perfectly fine and doesn't make you look like a nut. FWIW, I got my MLS after my own "difficult family time" and there was no problem. The only time you sound weird is when you change it at all- "caring for sick family", "exploring interests", "sabbatical"- those things all raise red flags for me. And what if you said "caring for sick family" and some kind-hearted person started asking more details? Having cared for 4 family members who ended up dying, I usually enquire gently about that - not to catch someone out, but because we're a bit of a sad club and support our members. Wouldn't you feel and look awkward if you had to backtrack or change your story?

Keep it simple. No details, but the truth. That's all you need. And THEN tell them about the cakes and they'll love you even more.

Tulsa
Greenie

Postby Tulsa » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Scruffy, definitely didn't think you were down playing cake - of course cake is awesome!! :)

I like the wording of "difficult family time" - vague enough without being an outright lie. I'm really hoping the fact that I have the degree, licensure, teaching experience, and great references make it a non issue, but that I feel like that gap in relevant employment looks glaring on my resume!
(I bat for Team Anxiety - worry about ALL the things!)

Grandiose
Greenie

Postby Grandiose » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:55 pm

I'd been on many hiring panels. We always ask about gaps. Never want to hear about personal family issues (for yourself or actual family) and people that say they went back to school we'd follow that up with questions about a degree, etc.

The briefest, yet clearest, answer seemed the best. When you sit for multiple days in a row listening to people you tend to appreciate those that communicate the cleanest! And even though I empathize with family problems, I truly don't want to get into that during an interview.

So if asked give one of the responses from above. (Like PaulaO's)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”