Meet Barnaby - Photos fixed (I hope)

Minz
Novice

Meet Barnaby - Photos fixed (I hope)

Postby Minz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 am

This is my new pony Barnaby Blue, aka Little B. I have been in love with this little guy since I found him for my neighbour's granddaughter 10 years ago. He is the sweetest pony, and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He can be cheeky when adults ride, but he adores children and doesn't put a foot wrong when they are around. He is a 14yo Newfoundland Pony. They are an endangered breed, so that makes him all the more special in my books. He was sadly outgrown by his little girl, so I have taken him on in the hopes that he will be my new driving pony. He was trained to drive as a 5yo, but the non-horsey grandfather had an accident with him and he hasn't been driven since. I am praying that he isn't holding some horrible baggage from that experience. He is incredibly calm and sensible, so I am going forward with the belief that everything will work out fine, but I have a driving trainer helping out just in case. With my Multiple Myeloma progressing as it has, it is unlikely that I will be able to train dressage with my mare, if ride at all so I hope to be able to do driving dressage with Barnaby. Fingers crossed
I gave away my old ap saddle, so my friend has been riding him for me in a bareback pad. He has such a wide comfy back, and smooth gaits, it is really only to keep the hair off her breeches. Lol.
The Princess and the B. Cadie (aka the Princess) isn't impressed by her little brother although she does accept his adoration as her due. She is my Oldenburg dressage horse, and has always had that royal attitude that we are all here to serve her.
Last edited by Minz on Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minz
Novice

Re: Meet Barnaby

Postby Minz » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 am

Ack, the pics won't show. :( Trying to fix. This is my first time using flicker as a hosting site because photobucket just freezes on the iPad. Maybe I need to go downstairs and use the real computer and go back to photobucket. It never failed me before.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:09 pm

He's very cute! Have fun!
The pics *sort of* work - if you right click where it says "Image" and click on "View Image," it bounces you over to Flickr.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm

I am dying of the cuteness. A white pony! Every girl's dream. I wish you all the best with his training. I'm sorry about the myeloma. I didn't know you had it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:27 pm

I cannot right click on my phone, or at least I'm not sure how

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm

:D OMG So cute! :D

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:44 am

I can't see the pictures. :( I'll take the word of those who can see them that Barnaby is extremely cute.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am

(sorry. I died of the cute before I could help with the others)

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 am

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am

what a cutie!! love ponies!!!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Thank you Beorn!

*Swoon* Passing out from too much cuteness! *thud*

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:23 pm

OMG, love Barnaby. Congratulations!
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Adorable!!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:23 pm

My heart is fluttering.... :-)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:45 am

Congrats!! He is adorable!! Both of them are very nice looking equines!!

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Beorn!! I have been feeling under the weather from chemo and have only gotten as far as emailing them to myself, but not trudging downstairs to the desktop. We had our first driving lesson yesterday, so I will try and post a pic of white pony in black harness. He was a superstar, but the instructor said the shafts of his cart are too short, so I am calling around today to see if I can get longer ones.

Minz
Novice

Re: Meet Barnaby Photos fixed (I hope)

Postby Minz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Here are a couple of pics from our first driving lesson. The instructor was quite a character. A hoodie, hot pink shorts and Hunter wellies. She was super hyper, but once I learned to filter out the noise, she really knows what she is talking about. It was a black and white day. My friend the barn owner has a b&w shetland, Peek a Boo, that is also learning to drive, and she has a harlequin dane, Lacey, who is b&w. We just need to paint her brindle dane Winston to match the others. :lol:

Moutaineer

Re: Meet Barnaby - Photos fixed (I hope)

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Lovely! What an attractive pony.

I need to get my pony back to work driving... you might inspire me.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Oh I have always wanted to learn to drive!!!

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:45 am

Ooh, Mountaineer and Hoopoe, it would be awesome to have a couple of us to share stories/successes!!

I spoke to the local Mennonite tack store this morning and they will custom order me a new set of shafts for about $100. The pain in the neck thing is that I have to bring the cart to them to measure for the new shafts. I guess they don't trust me to measure correctly. Road trip planned for Monday. The Mennonite butter tarts at the general store are worth the drive alone, but the tack store is very fun. Totally different stuff than at the usual tack stores.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:21 am

How did you find Barnaby? And have a butter tart for me please.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Oh O O O, Barnaby's Beautiful! I love ponies!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:07 pm

My goodness--cute as button in the first set of pics. Down-right handsome in his driving gear!

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:24 am

Barnaby is gorgeous!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 am

I agree with Rhiannon! I was going to say "Squee!!!" until I saw the photos of him in harness - really handsome!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:36 am

He's the cutest thing ever! Good luck with him!! :D

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:17 am

PaulaO wrote:How did you find Barnaby? And have a butter tart for me please.

The butter tarts were awesome, but still not as good as they used to be. Wherever the store used to get them,they were full to the top, and oozed when you bit them. They are still really good, just that they used to be better!!
As for finding Barnaby, I kind of lucked out 10 years ago when I was looking on behalf of my elderly neighbour (73 at the time) who wanted to see his granddaughter (4 at the time) ride before he died. A lot of people want to save the breed and have Newfoundland ponies, but don't do anything with them. The wonderful thing about these ponies is that they are like Newfoundland dogs in their love for kids. It is such a waste to have them and do nothing with them. I had found a bunch of people with older but unbroken ponies. Then I came across this Newfoundlander in the Niagara area who loved ponies and had young kids. He was buying ponies in Newfoundland and bringing them to Ontario to sell at a profit. The market was good at the time, so it was worth his while. When I went to see him, Barnaby was the one for sale. Barnaby was an unbroke 4 yo stallion, who had been brought to Ontario to be a breeding stallion, but he turned out cryptorchid so was unsuitable for breeding. The guy's vet wouldn't touch a cryptorchid so we ended up getting a deal. There was a new equine hospital in our neighbourhood that had just opened and took him at quite a reasonable rate to geld. Fortunately my elderly neighbour wanted the pony for his granddaughter more than he cared about the costs associated. I backed Barnaby and did all of his training for the fun of it. I didn't charge them. I had a job(I am a teacher) so I didn't need the money and I wanted to test my skills as a horsewoman by backing the pony. I am not sure any skills were actually involved. After teaching him to lunge, I pretty much just mounted up and started riding. He was incredibly easygoing and sensible, even as a 4yo. I hacked him, schooled him to 1st level dressage, had a petite teenager ride him in jumping lessons, and aimed to make him an all around fun pony that you could do anything with. It worked. He was and is truly loved by his little girl although she has sadly outgrown him. Even though I haven't been on his back for many years, my friend has been hopping on him after she rides my mare, and he is quickly remembering everything I taught him.
The grandfather has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the farm is too much for his 78 yo wife. So all of the horses have been sold, and the farm is up for sale. The girl, (now 14) did not want to sell Barnaby even though she has outgrown him, but she also doesn't want him to rot in a field. I have multiple myeloma (blood based bone cancer) and am on relapse number 5 or so. My bones are so fragile I really shouldn't ride my mare or any horse for that matter, anymore. Like Barnaby's girl, I have a horse that I can't ride, but love dearly and can't bring myself to sell, even though it is the most sensible solution. I have a wonderful part boarder who has been keeping my mare going, and doing a fantastic job so I ride vicariously through watching her school my horse. I felt for the family, who are going through a rough time with the Alzheimer's and selling their home, and moving to a new town out of the area, so I offered to buy Barnaby so that his girl would always have access to him and know where he was. I did tell them though that he had to be drivable as I can't ride, so I currently have him on trial until he proves himself as a driving pony. I love him almost as much as I love my own mare, but I really can't afford to board 2 unsuitable horses, so I am crossing my fingers that he continues to be as chill as he has been about driving. The new shafts should be ready in about a week, so next lesson we will put him to the cart and see how it goes.

Thank you everyone for the kind compliments. He is just as sweet as he is cute. I will continue to post pictures as our lessons progress.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:41 pm

What a cutie!!! Simply adorable!!! And so lucky to have you! Best wishes that he turns out to be a fabulous driving pony!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Barnaby sounds like a love; I hope he works out to be a wonderful driving pony for you.

Our neighbors when I was a kid had a Newfoundland dog that pulled a pony cart. Your friend would have quite a colorful team if she started driving her Great Danes!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”