Growing Vines on a house - yay or nay?

orono
Herd Member

Growing Vines on a house - yay or nay?

Postby orono » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:09 pm

I love the look of climbing vines on houses (so do my kids), we have some brick pillars along the front of the house, in good condition (house is 35-40 years old). I'm thinking of getting some Engleman Ivy to climb them, but don't want to regret it a few years from now. What do you think?
Last edited by orono on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicky
Herd Member

Re: Growing Ivy on a house - yay or nay?

Postby Wicky » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:24 pm

I would worry about the potential damage ivy can cause. A mature ivy plant can be very heavy, and can worm its way into cracks and damage wood or brick. I do not know which types might be safer for houses but I have been warned about ivy climbing chimneys.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:40 pm

No, no, no. You're making a freeway for termites. And ivy roots will loosen mortar between bricks. If you want ivy, build it a separate trellis.

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:24 pm

NAY nay nay. It grows into everything.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Growing Vines on a house - yay or nay?

Postby orono » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Edited my thread title, I wasn't considering actual ivy (English or Boston, I believe they are both on the noxious weeds list), but a Virginia Creeper or Climbing Hydrangea. I don't believe that termites are an issue here, but will look into it to be sure.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:34 am

http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/news/t ... hydrangea/

here is what the U of Washington says about the hydrangea. Challenging to get going , but very pretty. I have been to the Center for Urban Horticulture when it is in bloom, a very nice choice,

Personally I would use trellis offsets rather than letting the vines climb onto and into the house . If you cannot contain it, dont plant it. Vines that get away and climb trees can actually burden them so much as to potentially cause falling.

and a huge NO to anything that runs or sets seeds that you cannot contain. I spend far too much time pulling ivy and archangle in trying to restore native habitat.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

I love the look, too. BUT---I live in the southern US and am not allowed to do such nonsense, or my house would be eaten alive!

I would be very selective with your plant choice. It will take maintenance and care. I also worry that the plants can cover up problem areas that actually need attention. I think Hoopoe's idea of trellises is a good one.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Yeah, no to climbing stuff that actually grabs onto the house. Trellis or nothing.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:59 am

spend my life pulling Virginia creeper off everything. It's like giant bindweed. Surprised to hear people actually plant it.

I rented a little brick house in Colorado which had ivy growing on one garage wall. Loved the look. Then I noticed a crack along the brick and the ivy growing inside the garage. Used to joke that one day the ivy would knock the garage right off the house.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:07 am

So far, of the ones you've mentioned, the climbing hydrangea is the only one I would consider, because of the thug like behavior of the others. And definitely a trellis, so it only looks like it's on the house!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:45 am

No, no, no! That's just a freeway for things to creep and crawl into your house.................

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Our first house had existing English Ivy growing on the garage, and yes, it did get into the mortar. The suckers held better than super glue. Now, we're out in the country and the Virginia creeper (native) is growing up the outside wall of our front porch, and up the peeled cedar posts. Our house exterior is native limestone. I love the look and coolness of the vines. Since we moved from an urban to a totally rural location, I'm just not worrying about the same things as I used to re: house. But consider your choices and the long-term results wisely....

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 pm

I love the look of vines growing on houses, but I am violently allergic to spider bites, so no. Nevermind all the bad things vines do to a house structurally. I do love the look though!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:54 pm

We're encouraging Virginia Creeper. I'll be dead before it actually creates a problem with the house. LOL!

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Love the look of ivy on a house…but no…it's bad for the bricks.

Idofly
Greenie

Postby Idofly » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:17 pm

We pulled off ivy on a rental house my mother owned and the entire brick front came down...it was through to the inside walls and wrapped around plumbing.

Nope...just nope.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”