Who IS the horse of the month for July?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Who IS the horse of the month for July?

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Silk?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Who IS the horse of the month for July?

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:40 pm

Love the pictures, esp the "connection" in the right one :)

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:45 am

Lewyn? He has been so speical for my in the last 18 months.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:58 am

Thanks Chance! Sorry again for being so slow on the photos.

Left is Confetti when I first met her at at about 14 hours old *swoon*
Confetti is something of a "universe" decision... I wasn't planning on breeding, but won a service to a Holsteiner stallion quite by accident. You can see their page here: https://www.facebook.com/King-Sporthors ... 2/?fref=ts

As my horses are 'lifers', acceptance of the service was a 25+ year decision that needed serious consideration. I nearly asked the stallion owners to re-draw the competition but in the end decided that my younger mare, Indy ('Stiletto', that's her on the right) was a good match for Campion. Around the same time, I was coming to the decision that she wasn't my next riding horse, as she most likely has something going on physically that results in fairly explosive behaviour under saddle. It took me 5 years of input (bodywork, correct hoof trimming, groundwork and riding) to work that out (she's now a very expensive and well-maintained pasture puff :lol: ).

Indy took to fresh chilled semen on the second AI attempt and had an uneventful pregnancy and birth. She was at home until 2 days before foaling, and continued to do everything (she came out on rides with me and my other mare for exercise). She was foaled down by my very competent equine dentist. I visited them that afternoon and decided to take them straight home. One minor complication was an infected umbilical stump at 2 weeks old that needed 5 days of IM AB injections - difficult on a foal with tiny muscles!

Confetti turned up straight and correct, with supermodel legs, and so far, has been everything I 'needed' and more... filly, not orange, with bling :lol: . The only thing I'd change is adding a snip :lol: Everyone thinks she'll eclipse her parents (both 16.1hh). A very rough knee-to-fetlock measure the other day suggests an EMH of 16.3hh+ :shock: I've been frantically willing my own legs to grow since she was born :D

She's nearly 8 months old now, still with her dam, and my older mare Scarlett as 'sensible aunt'. She wears a halter but hasn't been trained to 'do' anything besides pick up her feet for trimming. I am just beginning clicker training, as a precursor to leading. She is confidently 'not mugging me' and 'touching her target' (both at a standstill and moving towards it). She loves the little bits of Connected Groundwork I do with her (mostly, she loves scratches, more scratches, and then some more scratches, please!). My vague plan is to leave her until 5yo+ for riding, and in the meantime she will learn all the other things (leading, tying, travelling, going out and about, coming on rides on the lead, being in groups of horses, wearing tack, etc etc etc).

Any questions, fire away! I need to take more photos but a scruffy, muddy, seriously bum high baby with bleached tips on her mane just doesn't look all that elegant ;)

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:48 am

What a fabulous post!

What a fabulous feature "horse of the month" is. It really helps get to know posters better through their horses' stories!

Thank you,Silk and Chancellor!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Silk they are both gorgeous!!

I can't wait to see Confetti as she grows. :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:52 pm

M&M wrote:What a fabulous post!

What a fabulous feature "horse of the month" is. It really helps get to know posters better through their horses' stories!

Thank you,Silk and Chancellor!

And yes, I know I promised something of a recap forum with all the horses of the month.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Chancellor wrote:And yes, I know I promised something of a recap forum with all the horses of the month.

Ha! :) I was just thinking that Hank never got his proper introduction - and then I saw your comment.

I know there probably was a thread about him "on the old board" when we first got him, but that's been almost TEN years ago. Yikes!

Lemme know if you need input for that, Chancellor :)
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”