Favorite town,favorite store, now favorit restaurant !

martha sc
Novice

Favorite town,favorite store, now favorit restaurant !

Postby martha sc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:48 pm

And they are all in the same place!
Town, Santa Barbara
Store ,Tienda Ho on State street . I get there 2 times a year and stock up on flowey,hippy flavored things with a bit of class, great colors and fabrics.
Restaurant , Andersen's across the street. A french flavored bakery with seating. Cute place snd breakfast was beyond good . I'm dreaming about the coffee .
Do any of you visit my favorites?

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Favorite town,favorite store, now favorit restaurant !

Postby Suzon » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:50 pm

These are such hard questions!!!

Favorite town: For touristy stuff, love Camden, Maine. For country living, love New Gloucester, Maine. Learning to love Deadwood, Oregon.

Favorite Store: Cool As A Moose. Off beat, Maine-centric, goofy, apparel. Omega Salvage, Berkeley, CA....too expensive but love to rummage around.

Favorite Restaurant: Anchalee, Berkeley, CA (Thai). Burma Superstar, Oakland, CA (Burmese). Saul's Jewish Deli, Berkeley, Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe, Oakland.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Wow, Martha, I know all of your favorites (used to live there and visit sometimes) and will say that you have very good taste :-D

Favorite town is always changing, but I do love Cassis in France (which actually reminds me of the best of Santa Barbara). I also would love to go back to Mombassa, Kenya, as it is an extremely interesting town with an amazing blend of Arab, African and Indian culture.

Favorite restaurant is impossible---I'm always trying new ones when we travel! But one I look forward to returning to is Aziza in San Francisco (Richmond). It's a California take on north African cuisine.

Favorite store would probably be online :shock: Maybe Couleur Nature?

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:31 am

Favourite town: St. John's, Newfoundland, It is spectacularly beautiful in nice weather, and I never get tired of the views. The people are awesome too.

Favourite store: Kidston Landing in Baddek Nova Scotia. It is just a cool store, (clothes, home decor, tea, touristy stuff) and everything I have bought there I really love. I don't get there very often, but when I contacted them on Facebook that I was running out of my favourite tea, they said they were discontinuing it, but would put in a special order if I wanted more, and would ship it to me.

Favourite restaurant: I love food, so this is too difficult to choose one. I live in an area that has so many incredible restaurants, but if I go back to my favourite town, my favourite is The Hungry Heart Cafe in St. John's Newfoundland. Not only does it have fantastic food, but it "helps vulnerable adults gain employment in the food service industry so that they can achieve independence and realize their dreams. Every penny of revenue generated by the Hungry Heart Café goes right back into the operation to fund employment training." I try to support this restaurant as much as I can, but the food is so good, it is often difficult to get a table.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm

I agree these are very hard questions.

Favorite town(s) - We loved our visit to Vancouver BC as walkable and beautiful. Our trip was too short and we hope to return as so much more to see. Portland ME is a favorite for quick visits and to get our seafood fix.

Several towns again were in Maine: Booth Bay Harbor, Portland, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, Bar Harbor. Portland had a great potatoe donut shop right next to a book store!! Happy dance!

Some of the best meals we enjoyed were in Key West FL. They made the trip because otherwise I lost interest after 2-3 days. Shops were typical tourist stuff. I tend to look for unique craft/art stores supplied by local artists and crafters. So far enjoyed in ME and NH.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:12 am

Piedmontfields, i too found Mombasa fascinating. But of West African towns, Beira was fabulous. I also find Bridge, Belgium fascinating, and Florence Italy. In America, I am still find of Boulder, Colorado.

I do not think I can pin down a favorite town.

Favorite store,. Probably Peters Valley craft store , it is a place where local artists and craftspeople display and sell their designs.

Favorite restaurant? Probably " Butter", In Midtown NYC,. Alex Guarnuschelli is the executive chef. It's expensive, and needs reservations, but sumptuous.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”