Which camera do I buy?

Minz
Novice

Which camera do I buy?

Postby Minz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:05 pm

I made the decision a few years ago that once I was no longer able to ride, that I would take up photography. The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I would like a good quality camera that will grow with me, but don't want to buy something that is too complicated for a beginner. My Multiple Myeloma is not behaving itself, so it is looking less and less likely that I will get back in the saddle. Unfortunately our good camera shop has closed so I can't ask them for advice, and I don't trust salespeople in the big box stores. So, any advice for a wannabe beginner photographer would be gratefully accepted.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Re: Which camera do I buy?

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:00 pm

You really need to head into a store with tons of cameras and try them out by just physically holding them and working the buttons with your hands. Once you find one that feels good, then you will have an idea of what you need.

I shot with Canon for years, but the first time I picked up a Nikon, it just fit, so I now have Nikon everything.

If you aren't wanting a big DSLR but still want interchangeable lenses, I would look at Sony mirrorless cameras. The only thing I don't like about mirrorless cameras is their size. I have big hands and they feel so tiny in my hands.
Last edited by Racetrackreject on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:40 pm

As RTR suggested, even if you don't trust the big box sales droids, head into one so you can actually touch and hold the different cameras. Different people like different manufacturers.

I know here we have both Nikon and Canon users. The mirrorless, and Sonys seem to get the best reviews, might be easier for you to handle being slightly smaller and lighter.

What type of photography are you interested in? I would figure this out so that you can settle on a camera that will work best for how you will be using it. Lenses will be a big factor in the type of photography.

IMO, choose carefully as once you get locked into a manufacturer and invest anything in lenses, it becomes much harder to switch. Also for the DSLRs, many manufacturers have nice body/lens packages that would be a good starter deal. The lenses may not be the best but certainly good enough to get you going as you learn the ropes :)

Once you get hooked on digital photography, hard to imagine not doing it :D

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:14 pm

What kind of photography do you want to do? I would say for action, a DSLR is still the way to go, but for anything that's not barrelling around and blowing up dust, I'll say, look at a mirrorless...just because they're smaller and lighter. That doesn't mean you can't use them for action, you can, but I think the pro DSLRs still have the edge in that field.

Nikon and Canon have my vote for DSLRs. I hear good things about Sony and Fuji. I'm a Canon shooter, because that's what I started with.

The good thing is, modern cameras can be simple or complicated. Start on auto and learn composition. Learn to see. Learn about light. Then move to shutter priority, then aperture priority, eventually to full manual. You can start by shooting in .jpg (camera makes all the final exposure and color balance decisions) and them move to RAW as you start learning to edit in lightroom or photoshop.

What's your price range?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:... the first time I picked up a Nikon, it just fit...

I went in set to buy a Canon, based on research, reviews, suggestions, the lot... Then I picked up the Nikon and fell in love, so that was that.

I bought an 'old' model (there was already an 'upgrade'), as such it was significantly discounted. Didn't affect the camera and I don't use it to its capacity anyway, so "who cares" that it was a lower spec model. Later on I bought a new lens for it which I love even more.

I don't have more suggestions than that, but if you're lugging around a heavy, expensive piece of kit, you want it to feel like it needs to live in your hands.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:01 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I totally get the "feel" being important. With my point and shoots, I have always ended up buying a Nikon, but I am open to either brand. Mirrorless sounds tempting from a size/weight perspective, but I will I have to start all over again buying equipment if I progress to DSLR?
As for the type of photography, horses are probably my first priority, nature would be second. While I would like to be able to take portraits, it isn't something I am particularly interested in. Mostly I would like to get better at taking the kinds of photos I already take.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 pm

If you are interested in "action" shooting (i.e., your subject is moving) DSLR is probably your best bet (I'd have to research how good mirrorless is at delay between pushing the button and the actual shutter action).

No, I don't believe that for any manufacturer that their mirrorless lenses are usable on their DSLRs.

Don't forget when you look at "feel" not just weight and how the camera feels in your hand, but where the buttons are and what they do. Functionally, the different DSLRs are going to do the same thing but how you tell the camera what you want will be different.

Also, be thinking of how you want to post-process your photos. As noted above, when you shoot JPGs, the camera does most of the "post processing". In raw, you do it all. When you move to digital, you'll want to (or should anyway) start cataloging your photos from the beginning even if you don't do any actual post.

As you research, even through here, there are people who use only Photoshop, Lightroom, other tools or some combination.

Not advertising but Adobe has a Creative Cloud offering for photographers that includes Photoshop and Lightroom for $10/month (haven't noticed the price going up) and that includes software upgrades.

Any thought as to a budget?

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:41 am

I chose a hobbyist level Nikon based on weight and the availability of lenses and price. A lot has to do with what type of photography you want to do. I looked at sensor size as well and went for just under the full sized sensor for wildlife photography. I ended up with the Nikon D5500 and I'm not disappointed. I used this tool a lot once I started honing down the features I absolutely felt I had to have. http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras
I also agree with those that said go in and handle the cameras. You will be surprised at how some will feel so balanced and just...right for your hands. Happy shopping!

Edited to add: You can look at reviews on Amazon and search on Flickr by camera to see actual photos taken with a particular camera. A plug for the D5500 is it is approximately half the weight and half the price of its full framed brothers but it takes the same lenses as the full frame cameras so if I ever want to go to a full frame I don't have to buy new lenses. It also has full auto setting, scene guides or you can go to full manual mode when you are comfortable with that so you can jump right in to taking great pictures without a huge learning curve. I just got mine last year. It is my first DSLR and I really like it.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:50 am

A slight clarification (and this is Nikon, can't speak to Canon or other manufacturers).

Yes, you can put a DX lens on FX (full frame) sensor but there are potential downsides with respect to either not using all of your full frame sensor or vignetting in the corners, either of which may or may not be a problem for you.

If you *think* you are going to ever consider a full frame (FX) body, I'd get FX/DX lenses (yes, they do cost more) so you do have more versatility.

I'd start with one of the (Nikon bigot speaking) "packages"... either a D5500 package (body+lens) or D7200 package (body+lens). You can find good pricing on the packages. From there, I'd grow my lens inventory and definitely choose to spend more on lenses as whatever body you get will last a long time :) With the DX packages you'll most likely find the DX-only lenses but a great place to start.

I use Amazon for reviews along with www.nikonusa.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com for reviews.

You might also consider renting a body and lens for a week or so to play with. Some local camera shops rent equipment. I rented a lens I was considering buying from www.borrowlenses.com .

For less than $500

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... _With.html

Or a more pricy step up in both body and lens...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... t_dig.html

Or a more pricey step up from the d5500 with respect to the body

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _with.html

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:13 am

WheresMyWhite wrote:
Yes, you can put a DX lens on FX (full frame) sensor but there are potential downsides with respect to either not using all of your full frame sensor or vignetting in the corners, either of which may or may not be a problem for you.

I can put FX lenses on my DX camera. No downside except they are a little heavier and a little more costly than the DX lenses. So if I want to get a full frame camera they will work just fine. Don't have any plans for that in the near future though ;)

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:12 am

Hobbyist describes exactly what I am interested in. It is unlikely that I will ever require a professional grade camera, and the D5500 sounds like it would fit the bill. Interesting that you should mention packages WMW. I have been looking at different vendors, first focussing on camera shops but I recently ended up at Amazon.ca. The price difference compared to American prices is depressing, but I want to ask what you guys think of this package. It appears to have 5 lenses. Are these useful, or would it be better to get a smaller package and purchase lenses separately.
https://www.amazon.ca/70-300mm-420-1600mm-Stabilizer-Autofocus-Backpack/dp/B012X8CBEY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51bRnRP6RwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR149%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=E2MWGAPXVNVF4DMX59C0
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and give advice. I have always admired how kind and helpful the photographers on this board are, and you are reinforcing that opinion.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Jan & PJ

I was talking about putting a DX lens on FX body... not the reverse, FX lens on DX body. When I started "upgrading" my lenses, I bought DX/FX lenses so that I could use either DX or FX bodies :)

Minz,

There is a lot of "stuff" in that package :)

I am personally not familiar with Opteka lenses so I'd do some independent research (I look often at reviews on B & H) on the opinions of those lenses. The only Nikon lens you're getting is the 70-300. Many will say that you should use only the manufacturer lenses with your camera from a quality of photo perspective but there are some nice third party lenses out there.

To my eye in looking at what you'd get, there are things that I wonder if you'd really use (ex the tabletop tripod). There are also, to my mind, too many lenses for a "beginner" just getting back in to and new to digital photography. It appears in the US that the D5500 body + 70-300 lens as a package isn't offered, just the body + 18-140. I'd just be concerned you'd be getting a bunch of "stuff" (lenses and accessories) that you'll end up either not using or not be happy with...

Maybe something more like (comes with extra battery although it will probably not be a Nikon battery). Plus, IMO, a nice compliment of accessories.

https://www.amazon.ca/DX-format-Extende ... ords=d5500

Plus

https://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Cameras-1 ... ords=d5500

??

But that's just me :) This way I don't think you'll be overwhelmed with a bunch of equipment you're not sure you'll want or use. Then, once you get the hang of it, you can being to build your lens inventory.

Only thing I would also suggest is read the Users Guide (or whatever Nikon calls it, but they are available online so you don't need to even wait to get the camera) is read what the supported memory cards are and get a few of the highest capacity ones you can get :)

I am always happy to help enable someone else's spending :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”