Dressing for undressing in the Grand Canyon?

Wicky
Herd Member

Dressing for undressing in the Grand Canyon?

Postby Wicky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Am going to raft down the Grand Canyon. They suggest some kind of sarong to wear in camp, and to use to change under. Anyone have any idea of exactly what this might be? Sounds like a tent with holes for arms and legs to me! :lol: But seriously, any suggestions would be great.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Dressing for undressing in the Grand Canyon?

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Oh it's wonderful magical thrilling once-in-a-lifetime experience I can't wait to do again!!!!! First you need a good rain suit for the days the boatmen (and women) will tell you to wear them. The river is COLD, and you don't want to get chilled first thing some morning and take all day to warm up. Under that, you can wear your swimsuit. :D Honestly, a tankini is probably the best since the two-piece aspect lets you move, and what you'll wear almost all day long. I included a battered long-sleeved cotton shirt since I'm not a fan of sunscreen (though I did wear it). At camp at night, there was nothing more comfortable than a cheap sundress. I mean a $10 Dollar Store number. Long enough not to flash anyone since underwear is cumbersome.
Bring good moisturizer, a package of those cheap, heavy novelty tissues, spray sunscreen for the tops of your feet through the watershoes/sandals, socks to wear for hikes (I know, it seems weird, but you'll thank me), some kind of fleece top that will dry quickly (just in case, I never wore mine) and a good, wide brim hat with a chin strap. Nothing else, is needed. Seriously.

I've travelled to a lot of wonderful, breathtaking places and only cried when I left three of them. The Colorado through the Grand Canyon was one of them.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:29 pm

Oh, and you can dress in your sleeping bag, under a big shirt, behind a rock, behind a towel (bring that) someone holds up...really, you'll get to be VERY good friends with your rafting companions. ;) :lol:

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 am

Yes, cheap sundress and or knit skirt. You can shimmy in and out of other clothes while wearing if you're modest. I want to wear nothing but the casual knit skirts I bought this spring, so you might find something you'll wear when you get home, too. Sounds amazing!
Keep calm and canter on.

avma
Greenie

Postby avma » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:53 am

You could also get one of these https://www.theundress.com/!

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 pm

avma, that is exactly the ticket! Ordered one - will let you know how it works! Thanks!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”