A bit of a brag

DJR
500 post plus club

A bit of a brag

Postby DJR » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:23 pm

My daughter, K, got her first pony almost a year ago for her birthday. The pony, Sera (short for Seraphim) is a sweet grey 18 yr old 13.2h Welsh pony that had "been there & done that" in the hunter circuit in her prime. K just started riding about 1-1/2 yrs ago so she is very much a beginner.

Sera started out being very quiet & good, but quickly showed that she had read the "pony manual" from start to finish and knew ALLLLL the "dump the kid" tricks once my daughter asked a bit more of her! That earned her the nickname, "Saucy Sera". Nevertheless, K kept at it and professed much love for pone-pone despite being dumped many times.

Sera has a specific knack for knowing exactly when she's being judged at a show, or watched by onlookers even if it's just a normal ride. She goes through the warm-up like an angel, even does a pre-judged round like an angel, then as soon as the round is being judged/observed Sera drops her head and crow-hops (or outright bucks) right on cue! Rotten lil' booger!!

This happens in dressage (enter at 'A', crow-hop to 'X', halt-salute, then behave well if kiddo is still in the saddle). And in trot-pole classes (warm-up round perfect, "you are being judged", crow-hop and be a turd on the first or second line), and even at demo-day after K's two-week horse camp experience (where they rode twice a day, every day!). K is only 60 lbs soaking wet so she does not have leverage in her favor!

Yet, K LOVES this pony! And is learning to be an excellent little rider in order to manage the behavior issues.

Which brings me to the brag. Yesterday K went to another local schooling show - a hunter show - in the walk-trot division over ground poles. We had another older girl ride Sera in the warm-up rounds which helped a lot because Sera tried her antics and got nowhere with them. Then K got on and from start to finish she rode SO well! For an 8-yr-old, she was incredibly mindful & thoughtful with her riding even in the show environment.

Here she is with her day's winnings (in a class of 8 Jr. riders):
Hunter Over Trot Poles: 2nd place
Equitation Over Trot Poles: 1st place!!
Hunter Under Saddle: 1st place!!
Equitation Under Saddle: 5th place
... and Champion of the Jr. W-T division! Woo hooo! She has really turned a corner with her riding at this show!! I'm so proud of how she handled herself, ribbons or no ribbons!!

2016Jul24 LimestoneHntr_Sera1sm.jpg
2016Jul24 LimestoneHntr_Sera1sm.jpg (106.82 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: A bit of a brag

Postby Hayburner » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:30 pm

GREAT NEWS!!!
They both look adorable....love all those ribbons.

You and K have earned your bragging rights!! Wahooooooo

Kitty
Greenie

Postby Kitty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:33 pm

You know, this ultimately makes us all better riders, doesn't it? Working through issues with our horse. I'm so proud of your daughter and her pony! And you are a great mom!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm

What a wonderful story!!! Congratulations K!!!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:04 pm

K must be over the moon with her success! I'm glad she's had the "stick-to-it-ness" throughout her pony challenges! ;)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:12 pm

They are both simply adorable! Tell K that her cyber-aunties are very proud of her.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:07 am

Both are beautiful.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:16 am

Great story. She is surely hooked for life and will be a great horsewoman for having a bit of a difficult pony to learn on. They're both adorable!
Keep calm and canter on.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 am

That is a fantastic update!! Good job K. Love to hear proud mommy brags!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:36 am

That is awesome!! Congrats!

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:49 am

Awesome :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”