Oh, The (horse trailer related) Irony! Home with Photos 9-18-16

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Oh, The (horse trailer related) Irony! Home with Photos 9-18-16

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 pm

I have been so very fortunate that for most of these horse-owning years I have boarded with friends and/or trainers with trailers...people who let us hitch rides to shows and lessons, and who stepped in when emergencies happened and we had to go to university vet hospitals. Even when at a place without friends from those circles boarding with me, those old friends would still come by to provide rides in the few instances I needed them. One or two folks had Big Boy sized trailers, and for those that didn't, Fergus was pretty agreeable about making an average sized straight load trailer work safely for short distances. When I stopped showing Fergus due to his EPM recurrences and the effects of stress on EPM, I gave up the idea of getting my own trailer. When I had considered a trailer purchase in the past, I knew it would have to be one with Big Boy sized stall areas.

Since buying the Fixer Upper Farm, I put a trailer back on my "get as soon as you can" list...for emergencies/since friends are further away now. I had already decided on the brand of trailer I'd get, should I ever get one, and really liked their options for Fergus-sizing it.

A couple weeks ago I went back to meet with the dealer, way more excited than any time I have looked at cars, and on the drive there I had an epiphany....my 14.2hh, 1050 lb Dallas would swim in stalls built for my 1550 lb, 17hh Fergus! :lol: :roll: :? So after all this time planning and prepping and plotting for a Big Boy size, to keep everyone safe, when we ordered we had to modify the stalls with additional brackets to change heights and depths of butt and chest bars, and we had to make sure the divider was a deeper one to make sure no curious, prone to explore, Houdini pony wouldn't end up somewhere he shouldn't. All of our decisions included consideration of the David and Goliath factor. :D

Still feeling blessed that this is the kind of stuff taking up space in my brain, and chuckling at the irony. I can't wait to get pictures of the two of them on the trailer at the same time...though you may not even be able to see little Dallas over the ramp! :lol:
Last edited by fergusnc on Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Oh, The (horse trailer related) Irony!

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:59 pm

Oooh, congrats. You have to tell us what you ordered!

I had to laugh when loading 17H Obie and 15H Maya in the trailer; she looked like a pony next to him. The butt bars and such seem to be at a happy medium on my Featherlight though, so I've never had an issue; not that I've hauled many different horses.
Keep calm and canter on.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:19 pm

I've hauled 18.1 2,000 lb Jet and 15.1 Freeway in my XXL Hawk together many many times. I've also hauled large hunter ponies in my Hawk, and many many Arabs. I have adjustable height chest and butt bars, no other modifications were made or needed. If the smaller horse is tied, it's not an issue. If the horse being hauled is not tied, you should pull dividers and made it a box stall. Though before you do that, make sure trailer is designed to be used that way, that the door latches are designed for that use etc.

Horses don't need to be securely wedged in by dividers for travel, long distance first class horse travel is loose in a box stall on a big rig ;)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks Quelah. I will have the mods you mentioned, and in the XXL (I got a Hawk as well), the divider comes deeper/thicker/taller/however you want to think of it, good for big guys but also less room to go under for the small guy. I like worst case scenario preparations, and yes all will be tied, but if creative or crafty and loose, we are better prepared by having gotten the adjustables...not wedged in just more appropriately sized. :-)
I loved the idea of the conversion package to be able to haul as a box stall, but decided to save the money as it wasn't a necessity. Was scary to hear, though, that just taking out the divider and such wouldn't be enough for it to be safe...thinking how many people who don't realize the risks may be doing it.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 am

My Oldenburg mare will only travel on the passenger side of the trailer, so imagine 16.1hh bum on passenger side and 12.3hh bum on the drivers side. Looks a little goofy. Thank goodness my trailer is low and super stable.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:07 am

Just an aside - I love my Hawk - have had it for like 10 years and getting ready to upgrade to a 2H gooseneck in the next couple of years. Will get another Hawk for sure. I also have an Exiss LQ and I don't like it nearly as much as my Hawk.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks E.P. I have only heard positive feedback about Hawks from people...so excited I was able to get one! I looked at a lot of trailers online, and of course ones friends have graciously hauled us in, and am really impressed with how the Hawks measure up. Heck, I am just so excited to finally get my own trailer after all these years!n :D :D :D :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:52 pm

I have a Trail-et, so pretty much a Hawk. I finally got round to moving the butt and chest bars up for the big horse a couple of weeks ago, It involves moving the center divider up as well--which has part of the head divider attached to it.

Not a job for the faint-hearted. Holy Crap, that thing is heavy! It took two of us and we really needed a third person, but we made do with a step ladder and a couple of rocks...

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:46 pm

Mountaineer, yours sounds much more complicated than what I THINK I ordered with mine...I have two options for height of both chest bars and butt bars in each stall, due to additional brackets being installed. And one of each butt bar bracket on each side, is not only lower, but set more forward to outline a shorter stall length. I don't believe I have to adjust anything. (I hope!). And there was no mention of having to do anything with the divider. I set up both stalls to have the option to fit either horse, as for the money during assembly it just made sense....and then I wouldn't be limited to only one side for Dallas, not knowing what the future might bring.

I know my center divider comes out too, had a brief explanation of how to do it (though quite sure I didn't absorb all the info I have been given, lol)...never thought about it being heavy, duh! :)

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 pm

The thing that is so nice about the Hawk is that I can easily do everything myself. I'm 5'2", so need a lightweight ramp, reachable windows, etc., because I'm mostly by myself when I'm out and about with my horses.

You'll love it!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:17 am

Feeling envious over here! I like my Featherlight, but can't wait until it's time to order a new custom Hawk!

Did you get Rumber flooring? I have to take the divider out of my trailer to take the mats out. That was fun when I had a horse who peed almost every time she was in the trailer.
Keep calm and canter on.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:15 pm

It is very exciting and a LONG time coming! I do not get the Rumber, it actually didn't even come up too much in discussion...we were looking at wants versus needs in general, then wants versus needs for my specific boys, and I can't remember exactly what was said, but the wonderful lady I ordered from didn't make it sound like the Rumber was way more pro than con all things considered so no real time was spent on it.

I got the XXL size, no dressing room which was not what I envisioned almost 17 years ago when I started dreaming about my perfect Big Boy trailer...but in taking stock of life now, activities now, alternative ways to do things, trailer driving skills, the space of this particular trailer, maximizing the horse friendliness of the trailer, and considering all points made on a DDBB thread at the start of the year, it felt right for me to do no dressing room and I have no fear of regrets.

I have mats and padding pretty much everywhere, fans for both boys, interior lights, loading lights, the amazingly light and low angle ramp, Windows everywhere, vents, additional butt and chest bar options, spare tire moved to the outside of the trailer, customized locations of options for tying horses and hay outside trailer, a padded chain and welded brackets as a part of the conversion needed for use of trailer as box stall in 911 situation (last minute decision, actually after order was submitted). I saved a little money by not having the additional stripes and graphics though a trim color was "included", but did get the diamond plate over the fenders to protect the fenders from tie horses and buckets, etc, used with them. The thing about Hawk is that there are sooooo many options and possibilities it can be almost overwhelming, but their standard models have really nice features too...so my upgrades were pretty simple all things considered. I am honestly most excited about how inviting these trailers are when loading horses, especially this XXL size, how they are built to stay significantly cooler than the outside temperature (felt that first hand the day I went to visit last month and it was almost 100 degrees at lunch), and how safe and comfortable they are for the horses during travel. I will say, it was fun being a girl and considering all the colors though. :lol: Of course with a black truck, and being one who knows herself well enough to admit that washing vehicles pretty much never happens, the pewter color with black trim is fancy enough for me. 8-)

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Can we talk more about ramps? I finally got a horse trailer this year and am wishing that I got a model with a ramp. Which brands have lower ramps?

My friend has a Sundowner and it seems very steep. One of my useless nags is this side of 18 hands and I
am not crazy about that big of a horse going up a super steep ramp. Are Hawks lower than say, a Four Star or Merhow?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Sox, I can't speak to the two brands you mentioned due to no personal experiences, but can say I have never seen such a "shallow" ramp as the Hawks. I have been around Featherlights, Adams, and Sundowners...and the difference is very very noticeable compared to those brands.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:27 am

That's good to know that the Hawks are low. I was surprised how steep some of these are.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Do these trailers stay cool even with the dark roof? I think my dream trailer is the pewter color with navy roof and graphics, but it seems like a light colored roof would keep things cooler.

FWIW, I had an old Logan Coach slant load with a ramp, and it was a pretty gentle angle. My Featherlight is a little steeper and I've had horses slip backing out. I'm being pretty militant about teaching Pickle to back out straight and slowly, and I keep meaning to stash a little bag of sand to throw on the ramp when it's wet to help with slipperiness. It's really surprising that a more non-skid material is not available by now.
Keep calm and canter on.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:33 pm

They all have white roofs regardless of color. And you can't see the roof at all from the ground on these...at least I couldn't.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:52 pm

All of the photos I've seen show the roof and stripes matching. I'm assuming that the fiberglass roof is all one piece that is one color, rounding over to meet the walls, so it would be the same color over the top?
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:13 am

No, the roof is actually white. That is just a stripe around the top. I had to go upstairs to check mine when I first got it.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:41 am

The rep told me all the roofs are white. And yes, one piece, fiberglass.

The trim around the roof, the bumpers and the frame are whatever color you pick and are included in price. the stripe or graphics are an additional cost. You don't have to have them...I chose not to get them and got other functional upgrades, like fans. And me too...have always seen the stripes or graphics as the same color as the trim (when people have both). You can pick pretty much any color trailer and any color trim/graphics/stripes from what i could tell on the website.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:00 am

Moutaineer wrote:No, the roof is actually white. That is just a stripe around the top. I had to go upstairs to check mine when I first got it.

Ah, interesting! I've always assumed the roof was monochrome, but there are very few in this area to look at. I have it all configured in my head... now to save my pennies!
Keep calm and canter on.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:18 am

Yes roof is white, yes stripes and roof trim can be any color. I gave them the paint code from my truck and they matched it :)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Oh, The (horse trailer related) Irony! UPDATE/INFO REQUEST 9-5-16

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:26 pm

The trailer should arrive at the dealer this week-ish. :D :D :D :D

Now...I took notes from Sunshine's thread re:trailer tips, but got a little confused about some suggestions as I wasn't sure they would apply to a 2H BP versus maybe big trailers with LQs, or just high horse number trailers. So....keeping my 2H BP scenario in mind....

1. Greasing hitch was mentioned. What did you guys mean? Adding grease to the ball? Adding grease to the ball mount befire sliding into the receiver of the hitch? None of the above? And what is used as grease?

2. I rarely haul. The last time I used my truck with a friend's trailer was a trip to a university hospital with Fergus, maybe 4 years ago, all went well. Some old neighbors wired in a brake controller for me when I bought my truck in 2008 or so...all of a sudden I have started wondering if there is a way to make sure all is still well with that brake controller before I end up 2+ hours from home to pick up the new trailer. We have a utility trailer at home, but it doesn't have brakes to check it with. Do I need go to a friend's and hook up to check or is there a way to be sure checking it here sans trailer? Really basic question....if the brake box isn't working correctly, there are no brakes on the trailer...correct?

3. Extra fuses for trucks, trailer and tractors were mentioned...would I have fuses on my trailer?

4. Is it safe to use a ball that is rusty? (I am getting a new ball and ball mount as the on I have is the wrong size for my new brand, but just wondering about the old one for pulling other peoples' trailers that need the size that the old ball is).

5. I started a list of things I need to get...new ball and ball mount, US Rider, insurance for trailer, Trailer Aid in case of flat, lock(s), possibly a cover, trailer ties for inside, wheel Chocks, extra hitch pins. Some of those things are needed before I go pick up the trailer, others just before I haul a horse for first time. Any other "get before you pick up the trailer" things I have forgotten?

6. For getting extra hitch pins and clips...are they all the same size?

7. I am getting the new ball mount and ball from a trailer dealer that is close by/convenient. They put together my other set up about 8 years ago. Is there a reason that the ball/ball mount connection should be checked periodically? Can it come loose or rust out or break apart? Is there a life span?

Wow, thanks guys. I am excited and really nervous about getting the trailer home. Thankfully no horse to worry about, but it's me and my non-horsey DH going to pick it up. He pulls the utility trailer all the time, but never a horse trailer. I am making myself drive it the 2+ hours home on the interstates that run past big cities to force myself to avoid wimping out/handing off when I get worried. I just look at this as such a big responsibility, even empty, that I don't hurt anyone else when some idiot does something stupid on the road! I am not worried about me (as long as I don't have to back up, lol)...I am worried about other drivers. I jokingly asked DH if we could go get the trailer at three in the morning when it's ready...to avoid more drivers!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Take a deep breath and look at the other people you know who drive trailers. Chances are they are not rocket scientists.

Ball grease is a heavy grease that comes in a handy tin with a plastic top that you can pop off and up end over your trailer ball and just squish down, pull off and put the lid back on. Mine lives in a plastic sack under the drivers seat of the truck, alongside the ever useful hammer.

Rusty ball will be fine if you grease it.

Make sure the ball mount is the right height. I've always done this by trial and error. Someone else may have a more scientific approach.

Trailer has a wiring diagram. Ask the dealer for it then get someone to check that your truck lines up with it. Get them to look at the brake controller at the same time.

If you use a hitch lock, be aware that they can rust over time and seize up, which is inconvenient. So take it off periodically.

Bear in mind that some states don't mandate brakes on trailers. You can drive without if necessary. I don't recommend it over steep mountain passes, but I have done it without dying.

You will be fine. Really.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Take a deep breath and look at the other people you know who drive trailers. Chances are they are not rocket scientists.

You will be fine. Really.

Thanks Mountaineer, you made me smile.

Is ball grease literally called ball grease? Maybe I can pick some up when I get the new ball mount/ball at the local trailer dealership. Was just at Tractor Supply...could look there next time.

While T.S. I looked at some trailer stuff and was reminded that there are various options for the drop on the mount...which made me realize I have no idea. :D I plan to bring my current mount/ball with me when I get the new set up and ask them for something comparable. Worst case when I drive to pick up my trailer, if it isn't perfectly level it shouldn't be a big deal to drive two hours since I will have no horses on board...and I can always get a new mount...right?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:54 pm

The chances are that the trailer dealer can also provide the right mount and ball. I'd check with them before you go buying one locally. It's actually a fairly miserable experience driving with one that is way off.

I will go check my can of grease later and let you know what it is.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:28 pm

For pulling a horse trailer, you probably want a "Class IV" towing package which included the part on the towing vehicle AND the part with ball. To find out about classes of hitches, search on "Trailer towing hitch classes". Wikipedia gives a good summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tow_hitch

Lots of good driving hints in this pub from the U.S. Department of Transportation:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/equipment/towing/

Nomenclature:

The part of the hitch bolted to the towing vehicle is called the "receiver."

I've always called the part with the ball that slides into the receiver a, "carrier." But the Dept of Transportation pub calls it a "drawbar."

I've never greased the ball, but if you want to grease the ball, any "chassis" grease would be acceptable. "Bearing" grease is perfectly ok, but bearing grease is formulated for high speed bearings and bushings. Chassis grease is formulated for parts that don't have a lot of relative speed between them.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:34 pm

I use the normal grease with a grease gun. I just squirt a drop on the ball. I als grease the slider shaft that you slide into the truck, to keep rust in check and prevent siezing. I have a yucky piece of burlap that i wrap the hitch in when i take it off.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 am

I steal my husband's bicycle grease :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 pm

If you're buying a Hawk, unless it's striped down to a shell, I'd presume you too will have a fuse box. Mine is in the tack room, driver's side, below the saddle racks. Popthe cover off and see what size of fuses are in there (truck too) and pick up a box at an auto supply store. It's cheap, and an easy fix.

Regarding pins, I've never lost any, but, yes, all Class IV are the same size. I do have a spare in the glove box -- the original non-locking variety off the stabilizer/equalizer drawbar (see what I did there Literiding? Proper nomenclature!)

Grease is grease is grease. I use a spray can with an all purpose chassis grease. It's easy to apply to the hitch (never the ball, unless you hate your pants) and the bottle stays clean.

Don't stress about all the extraneous stuff. A lead rope makes a perfect trailer tie. Buckets, etc are nice to have permanently in the trailer, but you can always grab one from the barn.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:10 am

Not to disagree, but grease is not grease. You want to get grease that meant for high temperature friction like you can get on a ball and hitch. I would not recommend bicycle grease.

But this is easy - go to the local automotive supply store, tell the person behind the counter what you want and he/she will give you a tub of it. I keep mine in a ziplock bag because it makes an awful mess when you accidentally smear it on something.

Which leads me to a couple of additional pointers: I keep a pair of nasty old work gloves under the seat of my truck. These come in handy for hitching up - I seem to have a gift for getting grease smeared on myself :lol:

I like to have several extra pins for the trailer tongue itself as well as an extra pipe lever for the weight distribution hitch. Because those two things seem to be the thing most commonly left on the bumper when one is exhausted.

Brake controller - it's very easy to tell if it is working. Drive very slowly in the parking lot after hitching up and apply the brakes. Adjust the knob slightly up and down to see if you feel the brakes change more or less. That tells you it is working. I like to feel the trailer brakes engage slightly but not too much when I apply the brake on the truck. You need to feel this out a bit and get used to it. Any trailer place can help you out if you need a new brake controller.

I personally like to lock the hitch on the truck. And yes, it can rust on there, so you do want to remove it from time to time. I generally don't leave it on the truck because let's face it, it's already a nightmare to parallel park my F250 crew cab without the additional foot of hitch.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:14 am

Sorry - forgot your question about checking the ball mount periodically.

You need to take your trailer in to a dealer once a year for service. I have them crawl under my truck and check the hitch and entire mount under the truck every time I take it in.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:06 am

exploding pony wrote:Not to disagree, but grease is not grease. You want to get grease that meant for high temperature friction like you can get on a ball and hitch. I would not recommend bicycle grease.

Thank you for the clarification :) I did mean vehicle grease, but didn't state that.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Someone above posted that they use bicycle grease.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 pm

So I went and got the new ball mount and ball, and picked up some "ball grease" while I was there. Also got extra hitch pins and clips to store in the glove box, and a lock for the coupler. I have wheel Chocks already. The trailer-aid is on its way in the mail./UPS/whoever. I have spoken with the insurance agent to set up a policy, and I will call US Rider for roadside assistance coverage. I am supposed the pick up the trailer next weekend. Woo Hoo! I feel like I am off to a good start. :-)
Thanks for all of the info gang!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Oh, The (horse trailer related) Irony! Home with Photos 9-18-16

Postby fergusnc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Early morning start, home a bit after lunch. 2.5 hours of "practice, for me on the way home...complete with narrow, windy roads, as well as big city interstate weekend traffic. Pretty proud of myself. 8-) :lol: I can't back up worth crap anymore, but have a plan for parking lot practice practice practice!
After 16.5 years of hitching rides, I am finally trailer independent, with a Big Boy sized trailer also modifications making it suitable for a little red pony too. YAY!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (164.62 KiB) Viewed 26711 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (112.93 KiB) Viewed 26711 times

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:35 am

Very nice!! :D

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 am

Lovely colors!!! Congrats!!

I havent seen that style before. How do you get to horses' heads?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:13 am

Quelah wrote:Lovely colors!!! Congrats!!

I havent seen that style before. How do you get to horses' heads?

It has no dressing room...those doors on the sides are the escape doors...they put you at the horses' heads.

Thank all! It's pretty fun walking past it in the driveway knowing it's mine. :P

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:19 pm

See? That wasn't so hard, was it? :)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Moutaineer wrote:See? That wasn't so hard, was it? :)

Actually, it was AWESOME!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Felt really proud of myself, and will feel better when I can back up better! 8-)

Now I just have to navigate the DMV process, and apparently my truck plug needs an additional wire run in the truck because my fans and interior lights won't run off my truck. Run fine on a different truck so we know it's not trailer. And fuses are all fine. Apparently not all plugs have a "hot wire" that can run that sort of stuff inside a trailer?

Learning a lot!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Yes, I have the same issue with mine and haven't got round to fixing it yet. Really must, it would be handy to have working interior lights.

Backing up is a knack, it takes practice. You'll suddenly get it and never worry about it again :) I have to back up a gravel slope and round a tight corner to park my trailer at home. It used to take me an awful lot of back and forth and swearing, but it did teach me how to do it!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:31 am

A few years ago someone told me to hold the bottom of the wheel when backing up, then you can move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. You might already know this trick, but I was like 35 before anyone bothered to tell me, and now backing up is so much easier. I even impress others with my mad skillz. Nice trailer, congrats!
Keep calm and canter on.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:26 am

SF, Yes I know that trick...read it in a PH about 10 years ago...but i haven't hauled enough to ever decide if that will work for my muscle memory...now I will have plenty of opps to decide. :D

My biggest thing with backing is turning the wheel too much I think, then turning it too much in the other way to try to fix my first mistake. DH is a pro with the flat trailer we have here, and he reminds me it's just practice and he wasn't a pro when we first got the flat trailer. He says I have to get used to making very small adjustments while backing up. Looking forward to my parking lot practice time. 8-)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Take a deep breath and look at the other people you know who drive trailers. Chances are they are not rocket scientists.

So true. That would be me. For 5.5 years I hooked my trailer to my truck myself. I loaded Billy by myself. Checked everything 3 times and drove him to Nashville once a month on 2 Interstates. It was a 4 hour round trip. Billy had complete trust in me that I would take care of him.

This is how I think you are, but you haven't had the experience some of us have had to say that you will do well, but you will.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:48 am

Rockabilly wrote:

So true. That would be me. For 5.5 years I hooked my trailer to my truck myself. I loaded Billy by myself. Checked everything 3 times and drove him to Nashville once a month on 2 Interstates. It was a 4 hour round trip. Billy had complete trust in me that I would take care of him.

This is how I think you are, but you haven't had the experience some of us have had to say that you will do well, but you will.

:D :D :D :D :D Thanks Rockabilly. :D :D :D :D :D

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:56 am

fergusnc wrote:Early morning start, home a bit after lunch. 2.5 hours of "practice, for me on the way home...complete with narrow, windy roads, as well as big city interstate weekend traffic. Pretty proud of myself. 8-) :lol: I can't back up worth crap anymore, but have a plan for parking lot practice practice practice!
After 16.5 years of hitching rides, I am finally trailer independent, with a Big Boy sized trailer also modifications making it suitable for a little red pony too. YAY!

That's the exact same trailer that I have (and love)!

Have fun. You'll be an expert hauler in no time flat.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”