Glacier photos and Rebecca Farm (fixed the links)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Glacier photos and Rebecca Farm (fixed the links)

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:48 pm

I thought that I would post the links for those that might have an interest in looking at photos from my vacation. My version of here, look at all of these slides from my trip. lol. I do not have all of my photos uploaded to Facebook yet, so there aren't a ton of photos up yet and I'm adding more every day. Check back for more mountain goats, big horn sheep, and the grizzly bear. Yes, we actually saw a grizzly in Glacier!!!

I almost have all of my photos from The Event at Rebecca Farm up. We just went for upper level XC day and photographed the CCI3*/CIC3*.

I believe that all of the links are public so that even if you do not have Facebook, you can see the photos.

Wildlife-
https://www.facebook.com/johnnie.pierce ... nref=story

General Glacier stuff-
https://www.facebook.com/johnnie.pierce ... nref=story

From the cabin where we stayed-
https://www.facebook.com/johnnie.pierce ... 915&type=3

Rebecca Farm-
https://www.facebook.com/photosbyjohnni ... 2173371632

some favorites:

angela9823
Herd Member

Re: Glacier photos and Rebecca Farm (fixed the links)

Postby angela9823 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:40 am

We are leaving to go to Glacier on Sunday. I'm so excited, especially after seeing your pictures!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:35 pm

angela9823 wrote:We are leaving to go to Glacier on Sunday. I'm so excited, especially after seeing your pictures!

You guys are going to love it! We saw mountain goats around Logan's Pass, on the trail that starts across from the visitor center. I can't remember how many miles that one is, but there seem to be goats around it pretty often. We saw the big horn sheep on going to the sun road above Logan's Pass, and the grizzly bear was in a meadow just beyond Two Dog Flats, but before you get to the St Mary's area. There were actually 2 grizzlies active in that area, and there was another area that had a mother black bear and 2 cubs that were pretty active, but I never could pin down the location.

I got engaged on Two Medicine Lake while there!! In a kayak of all things. lol

Where are you guys staying? We stayed in a cabin outside of Whitefish.

Oh, go to the tiny town of Polebridge. It's an awful bumpy drive up there, but it's worth it. Get something from the general store's bakery, go to Bowman Lake (beautiful!!), then return to have a meal at the saloon. Tell Alan, one of the owners, that Johnnie and Mitch from Texas sent you. Order his signature drink, the Rainbow Peak, and just enjoy. The food is good and the drinks are good, but the service is terrible unless Alan himself is waiting on you..lol. They serve prime rib on Fridays, but the other food is delicious too.

This is an "au gratin" from Polebridge's bakery. It is savory bread pastry with polenta, cheeses, bacon, and chives. #todiefor

This is Alan with his signature drink

If you guys get to Whitefish, try out the chocolate shop, Copperleaf Chocolatier.

And eat at the Stillwater Fish House

From Two Dog Flats inside Glacier (ribeye crustini appetizer)
Last edited by Racetrackreject on Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Lovely photos! Looks like the gopher (??) is smiling! :D

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

That is just wrong to post all those yummy photos of food that we can neither smell nor taste. They all look fantastic. The "au gratin" thing sounds like it was wonderful :D I'm never one to turn down good chocolate either ;)

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Your post is making me hungry! Glad you had a great trip. :) Bears are so common in those ranges (both grizzly and black) and it's rare to NOT see one during a summer or fall trip.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 pm

The food was all so delicious! The ribeye crustini is probably on my list of all time favorite dishes I have ever eaten, but it was all delicious. I purchased some chocolate covered biscotti balls from Copperleaf and it was some of the best sweets I have ever eaten. I'm not a big sweet fan, and this wasn't overly sweet, but just right. We also went to the Farmer's Market while we were and bought locally made aged gouda and garlic gouda. We cooked with both while at the cabin and it was incredible.

Sunshine-I think he's a ground squirrel. At least that's what we call them.

Orono- That's weird. Everyone seemed so desperate to find/see a bear, any bear. We were even told by people who lived in the area not to expect to see a bear because they had lived there for 20 years and only ever saw 3 grizzlies. Maybe we were just chatting up the wrong people!

A funny photo- this was my "selfie" in the kayak, but I couldn't see the screen on my phone to see what I was taking a photo of....

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:25 pm

We are staying at Great Bear Inn. We are going during the wrong time of the year apparently. The National Park service said they are 98% of capacity but if I'd go a week later, it would only be 50%. Well...my daughter goes back to college the next week and wouldn't be able to take care of the dogs so we are stuck going the week we are.

When you were on Going to the Sun Road, did you take the shuttle or the red bus or drive? We haven't decided which yet. I'd rather drive but I don't want my husband stuck driving the entire time but I have a fear of driving/heights/curves when heights are involved/bridges when heights are involved etc. So I'm not sure if I could take over driving or not. I'm normally okay if someone has driven me over the area first and THEN I drive. But driving right away would be an issue. I do want to stop and do some of the hiking etc. And thanks for the other suggestions. Did you rent kayaks at Two Medicine? Love that you got engaged there! Romantic. :-)

I'm so excited!! If I can just make it through this work week....

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:50 pm

angela9823 wrote:We are staying at Great Bear Inn. We are going during the wrong time of the year apparently. The National Park service said they are 98% of capacity but if I'd go a week later, it would only be 50%. Well...my daughter goes back to college the next week and wouldn't be able to take care of the dogs so we are stuck going the week we are.

When you were on Going to the Sun Road, did you take the shuttle or the red bus or drive? We haven't decided which yet. I'd rather drive but I don't want my husband stuck driving the entire time but I have a fear of driving/heights/curves when heights are involved/bridges when heights are involved etc. So I'm not sure if I could take over driving or not. I'm normally okay if someone has driven me over the area first and THEN I drive. But driving right away would be an issue. I do want to stop and do some of the hiking etc. And thanks for the other suggestions. Did you rent kayaks at Two Medicine? Love that you got engaged there! Romantic. :-)

I'm so excited!! If I can just make it through this work week....

Yes, everything is crazy full right now. Pretty much any area that had a parking lot had full signs up 24/7. We planned on parking and hiking anyway, so we would park down the road and hike to our trails instead of parking at the trail head.

We drove. We saw shuttles and the red buses, but we knew that we would be getting out and hiking so that option didn't really work for us. We are also a bunch of control freak people and not being to stop and take photos where we wanted would have been a form of near torture..lol. My SO did get vertigo on the drive up the first day and I almost had to drive, but he was fine on the way back and in the following days. I think that if I couldn't drive, I would pick a red bus over the shuttle, only because the shuttle was like a bus that dumped you off and then you had to wait at the bus stop for one to come along and pick you up. The red bus would stop and let everyone out and wait for them to re-board before driving off (at least that's from what I saw, that seemed like what was going on).

We did rent kayaks at Two Medicine. It was like $16.50/hour for the rentals and they also have canoes and row boats, or the tour boat (not sure how much that one was). We were engaged in rental kayaks..lol.

Great Bear Inn isn't in Glacier though right? Isn't it before you get to the West Glacier exit? Warning, I think it's also close to a little town called Hungry Horse.....where there are statues and signs for businesses with a starving horse on them.... I don't even want to know how it got it's name.

Most things you are going to want to see are to the right as you come into the park. If you go left, there aren't a lot of people and there are limited look outs, but that's the way you go to get to Canada, through the park,and to Bowman Lake and Polebridge. There is a rock road you can turn down that will take you to some areas to do some back country hiking, which we did. It's pretty rough driving out and the road is closed at Comas Creek, so you can't go all the way out there. The wildlife that we saw there seemed really surprised to see a human, as opposed to other areas in the park. We saw an eagle nest with a hatchling, a deer, some beaver, chipmunks, ground squirrels, and some grouse.

This meadow was in back country:

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:07 am

No, Great Bear Inn is about 10 minutes to west entrance so not in Glacier. I've heard it was crazy busy so we plan on getting out there really early. Since we'll be going back two or three hours, we should be able to get up and about a little earlier than others (we hope!!). Looking so forward to the trip!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”