Shrinking Clothes

Imperini
Herd Member

Shrinking Clothes

Postby Imperini » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:03 pm

... on purpose!

I bought some new clothes and I bought a sweater I really like but because it is made of cotton I bought it a size too large so that it would still fit when it shrunk. I failed to notice the part where it said hand wash. There I go thinking ahead, usually I get them and they fit perfectly then after a wash and dry I can never wear them again. I bought a whole bunch of polo shirts this summer and then they shrunk, but only up so now I have a whole bunch of polo shirts that are really wide and short.

In any case I'm not sure how I'm going to shrink it now and it's way too big. I suppose I could just experiment but I really like it and I'd rather make it so I can wear it or give it to someone who can wear it instead of ruining it. Any expert clothes shrinking suggestions?

mzloolue
Greenie

Re: Shrinking Clothes

Postby mzloolue » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:02 pm

My suggestion for the polo shirts is to get them wet, then stretch them longer as much as you can and hang to dry.
You might try one.
It works on sleeves...

This is why I hang all my decent shirts to dry. :)

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:07 pm

The only time clothes shrink is when you don't want them to shrink. In the case of the sweater, wash it and dry it on normal temps. If it shrinks, great, if it doesn't, you won't ruin it. And if you ruin it, you can donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army. They sell unwearable clothing to recycle vendors who will find a use of your sweater.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

My shirts never hit the dryer, what does goes on low heat but only I've given it a good shake and once over for stains which the dryer could set.
I am a bit cray cray about laundry, lol.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:42 pm

I was told recently at a Talbots that cotton will shrink up in length, but not in width. Whether this is true or not, I haven't a clue. I would think it would depend on which way the material was cut on the bias. ( It's been years since I have sewn, so hopefully "bias" was the right word.)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”