Which camera(s) for the Grand Canyon?

Wicky
Herd Member

Which camera(s) for the Grand Canyon?

Postby Wicky » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 am

I will shortly be leaving for 11 days rafting down the Grand Canyon (I hope everyone stays healthy so I can do this!)

I have a D7000, which came with an 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens, and a D80 which came with an 18-135mm 1:3.-5.6 lens. Which combination do I want to take on my trip? I am leaning at least to the 18-200 mm lens, but does it make any difference which body I take? I understand that I will be putting the camera at risk, rafting down the river, but I think this is a wonderful trip that I will want to photo.

I also have a GoPro, if I can remember how to use it. And I really need to figure out HOW to use my Nikons! I was good in the days of my F2, but simply haven't spent the time to learn the new cameras.

TIA!

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Which camera(s) for the Grand Canyon?

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:17 am

I'd take the camera that's cheaper to replace, and the 18-200 mm lens. Check EMS/REI for a water tight, floating bag to stash the camera in when not in use.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Your GoPro probably has a waterproof housing, so take it, and try to remember to use it. It also was a very wide angle (you can change that somewhat in the settings), so it will give you more of the view you're about to experience. You can't zoom in to places farther away, however. I'd probably have it on a body harness so you can access it any time, and turn it off/on when you need to. Use it both for pics and videos.

Both your lenses are going to be soft on far ends (due to optics), but since you probably won't be selling the pics it won't matter - they'll be sharp enough for you even taken at either extreme. That's why I'd go with the longer lens - you could reach a detail somewhere farther away with it better than the shorter lens.

Also, see if you can find a waterproof housing for the D7000, that way it's safer with you on water.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:07 pm

Take whatever is the least expensive to replace. A waterproof housing of some kind is essential, but never underestimate the power of the sand to get EVERYWHERE. (Did I tell you to bring a bandana/scarf for that day the sand blows in your face and into your sleeping bag at night?)

The BEST advice I got regarding photos was to not bother with scenery. It will be in the background and there are tens of thousands of photos of every part of the GC already taken by professional photographers. Take photos of your friends and comrades. Lots of them. Those are the ones only you will be able to take.

Seriously, my friend who invited me (it was her second trip) said when she got home from the first trip, she had 100s of photos of rock. Take them of your friends, the rock will be in the background. :D

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”