"What's for dinner?"

silk
500 post plus club

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby silk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:50 am

Surprise - I think I'll end up eating with my boyfriend and his parents. Last time I was there it was a slow-cooked pork casserole on rice. with fresh steamed beans from my garden. I always aim to take along something to add to the meal - the time before last, I made a zucchini cake with cream cheese icing and passionfruit; I've been dropping off loads of runner beans over the past 4-6 weeks (his mum loves them and we've had tons). Sadly the beans are all out now so we're produce-less, apart from eggs, and those I forgot to bring from home in the general confusion/stress that has been this week.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:49 am

Finished boiling down the last of the maple syrup yesterday, and had some sweet rolls stored in the freezer so decided to try dipping them in the maple syrup. They were way too good that way. :-)

About the only time I eat maple syrup is when we're boiling it down (use a lot more in cooking) but we did have pancakes for supper. Not sure why, but pancakes made from a mix are so much lighter than homemade ones, and I'm not sure what they put in the mix that makes them that way? Maybe it's the buttermilk--or maybe they add a lot more baking soda?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Steak with roast veges. No greens - bf's mum asked where they were and was told "onions" (which were red/Spanish) and then "beetroot" (which is purple)... haha.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Went out with a group from work to celebrate winning a tender. 'Asian fusion' style food ... We had 6 entrees, 4 mains plus sides, and a 2 desserts. OMG I feel like I ate enough for a week!

Entrees
Betel Leaves, Crab, Kaffir Lime & Chilli
Kingfish Sashimi, Green Nam Jim, Coconut & Basil
Crispy Chilli Spiced Lamb Ribs, Coriander
Shredded Chicken, Ruby Grapefruit & Coconut Salad
Smashed Green Papaya Salad, Roasted Red Chilli, Prawn Floss, Peanuts, Snake Beans, Cherry Tomato & Lime
Braised Pork Belly, Caramelised Chilli & Soy, Asian Slaw

Mains
Green Fish Curry, Okra, Choy Sum
Madurese Goat Curry, Lime & Coconut
Fire Chicken, Pickled Daikon, Cucumber, Iceberg
Pad See Ew, Braised Wagyu Skirt, Kai Lan, Rolled Rice Noodles, Crispy Shallots
Jasmine Rice & Roti

Desserts
Coconut Sago, Vanilla Ice Cream, Puffed Wild Rice
Kaffir Lime & Ginger Chocolate Mousse

As it was a large group, we were on one of the banquet menus. Everything came out for the table to share, It is a great way to sample everything! I didn't try the fish curry or the kingfish sachimi as I'm not a big fan of fish or seafood, but the first one (crab) was very good.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:54 pm

That is an exotic menu! For me I am starting to long for homegrown strawberries which should become available anytime now.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:37 am

Silk, my mouth started watering reading that, and I just ate. Wow, that all sounds so good!

Umm... I had salad with leftover chicken. Beans and rice from here on out since I just bought a third horse. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:25 pm

It's been a busy day on Deer Wallow Farm so we will be having grilled mozzarella, spinach and roasted red pepper sandwiches for our dinner. No homemade dessert tonight, but we do have some good ice cream.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I made a goat curry last night. It ended up being marinated for 48 hours instead of 4, so the kaffir lime flavor was intense! I was aiming for a Jamaican style jerk curry, and though I did put a fair amount of dried chilli in (scotch bonnets that I grew and I know are potent), it didn't have a 'kick' - still a lovely spiced flavor though.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Last night I got in late - as had a long chat with my client after trimming her horse, then there was traffic... I had no idea what I would make for dinner other than I had two chicken breasts in the freezer. After an initial false start, thinking I'd make "satay-ish chicken something", I ended up with half a leek (that my flatmates were throwing away - the top half - uuuuggggghhhh I hate wastage like that SO much)... Browned chicken, sliced leeks + onion and put them in to soften, added diced sweet potato and a can of sweetcorn kernels, picked sage from the garden, threw in a bit of water/cream/milk - voila! a riff on Rockabilly's sweetcorn/chicken chowder from earlier in this thread (which has become a favourite of mine).

Leftovers for tonight's dinner and pulled out some already-cooked seasoned mince, which will become lasagne, I think.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Dinner tonight is Chicken Piccata, wild rice and fresh asparagus. Dessert is a fresh strawberry pie. Went to my Amish neighbor where they picked fresh strawberries for me and came home and made the crust. Probably with a little whipped cream on top.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:48 pm

Greek salad, rosemary sauteed potatoes, a couple of lamb chops and a tortilla (since I need to use them up!)

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Dinner tonight is Chicken Piccata, wild rice and fresh asparagus. Dessert is a fresh strawberry pie. Went to my Amish neighbor where they picked fresh strawberries for me and came home and made the crust. Probably with a little whipped cream on top.

I would eat that right now! along with my dinner :))))

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:16 am

Leaving the barn tonight DH texted that the power was out at home, so change of plans, we are grilling a small chicken and I've put the cast iron plates on to hopefully brown the polenta I made earlier today. We'll have a vegetable soup too if the power comes back on soon .
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon May 01, 2017 1:14 pm

I am making Croissants today. Well, it's been a 2 day process for me. I will also be making my fabulous chicken salad so our dinner tonight will be chicken salad on Croissants sandwiches.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 02, 2017 2:35 am

We had Kenji's Roasted-Beet Salad with Crème Fraîche. Seriously good.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 am

heddylamar wrote:We had Kenji's Roasted-Beet Salad with Crème Fraîche. Seriously good.

Thank you! I have a big bag of beets, and randomly, some creme fraiche and lots of homegrown horseradish. Do you think a different type of nut would sub in for the pistachios? I have pecans, almonds and macadamia nuts. Totally making this tomorrow.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue May 02, 2017 3:02 am

I can see lightly toasted macadamia nuts working. Since it was the sum total of our dinner, I served it over a bed of lettuce with hard boiled egg. All elements worked great.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 am

Rice, chard, and... um... Something from the freezer. I clearly need to shop :P

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed May 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Last night I bought a hot cooked chicken from the deli.
Cooked penne pasta, put it aside. Lightly fried diced Spanish onion, 4 cloves smashed garlic, 2 sliced capsicums, several sage leaves, salt and 1/2 tsp HOT chili sauce.
Into the pot went sliced cabbage (savoy and plain), some of the pasta cooking water, a generous dash of cream (1/2 cup?) and the pasta; cooked/steamed/whatever that mixture for about 5 minutes while I pulled the chicken apart. Delicious!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 am

heddylamar wrote:I can see lightly toasted macadamia nuts working. Since it was the sum total of our dinner, I served it over a bed of lettuce with hard boiled egg. All elements worked great.

Thanks! I didn't replicate the recipe exactly, but did steamed golden beets in a horseradish/creme fraiche sauce with some sauteed shallot, fresh tarragon, parsley and chives, toasted macadamia nuts and some nice crispy bacon lardons. We also had a riff on the Whole Foods super food salad based on kale with blueberries, cabbage, carrots, serrano chile and soft boiled eggs. All very tasty and we felt pretty healthy for eating it. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 am

Got just picked lettuce this morning so of course I had to make a salad. I made a Ginger chicken salad and I made a fresh strawberry pie so that is dinner tonight.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks to widespread flooding, items such as lettuce are up to $7 ea. Yes, EACH... E.A.C.H.

Madness!!!!

Last night I had Indian takeaways. Beef khadai, med-hot, with naan and coconut rice. DELICIOUS, will be going back to that place!

Tonight is the last of a pork and paprika stew, with pumpkin and steamed vege (cabbage, capsicum and carrots).

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 am

Instant Pot recipe for the relatively new cooker - have used it for rice multiple times (works wonderfully!) and also once for the short rib recipe posted on the Instant Pot thread. We'll try this next week:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... d=67144250

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 am

Tonight, cauli cheese and potatoes dauphinoise, that I made last night. YUM. Tomorrow, mum's home from a month away (USA + Canada) so we're doing belated mother's day lunch. Roast pork, another dish with potatoes dauphinoise (I prepped two on Friday - love love love it), and soup, I think. I should probably make bread but not sure I have the time... I have three 3000-word essays due over the next three weeks, plus case studies for next weekend's Continuing Education to put together.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 am

Just got home from work travel tonight and had to go see my abscessed pony, so leftover pork n' beans (homemade) and plenty of wine.

Tomorrow we'll upgrade; ribeye steaks, another version of that lovely creamy horseradish beet salad and artichokes with homemade pesto garlic aioli.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 am

Koolkat wrote:Instant Pot recipe for the relatively new cooker - have used it for rice multiple times (works wonderfully!) and also once for the short rib recipe posted on the Instant Pot thread. We'll try this next week:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... d=67144250

Glad you are enjoying your InstantPot! :D
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun May 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Where's the emoticon for secret handshake?! :D

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun May 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Tonight because we have fresh vegetables just from the garden we are having squash casserole, braised cabbage, new potatoes, fresh green salad with homemade dressing , crispy cornbread and homemade carrot cake for dessert.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 30, 2017 3:43 am

That sounds so good, Rockabilly.

Tonight we had lamb ribs. They were cooked sous vide for 48 hours, then smoked with cherry wood and finished with a homemade habanero plum BBQ sauce. Beet salad with bacon and honey candied pecans on the side.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 am

I tried a new (well, two really) to me strawberry jam recipe this weekend -- Christina Tosi's pickled strawberry jam. It's the standard -- sugar, pectin and strawberries -- plus sherry vinegar, rice wine vinegar, salt, coriander, and cardamom. I had no clue what to expect, but, wow.

The other was David Lebovitz's basic strawberry jam -- also a success.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 am

heddylamar wrote:I tried a new (well, two really) to me strawberry jam recipe this weekend -- Christina Tosi's pickled strawberry jam. It's the standard -- sugar, pectin and strawberries -- plus sherry vinegar, rice wine vinegar, salt, coriander, and cardamom. I had no clue what to expect, but, wow.

The other was David Lebovitz's basic strawberry jam -- also a success.

That's what I'm making tomorrow, Strawberry Jam, but nothing exotic. Just the basic homemade Strawberry Jam. :)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm getting all the fresh vegetables I can stand from my Amish neighbor so that's what we're having. I have gotten green beans, new potatoes, lettuce, onions, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, squash and now I look forward to tomatoes and corn. I think garden tomatoes are my favorite.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Where in TN are you that all of that is coming in already? My mom's in Memphis and it's been so wet -- walk into her yard and squish up to your ankles in mud -- that she hasn't gotten everything planted. She is awash in blueberries, blackberries, and cabbage.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm in Middle Tennessee, south of Nashville. Strawberry season is over here, but when they were here they were beautiful. I haven't heard the Amish say anything about they can't do their garden because of rain. Maybe we haven't had as much rain as Memphis.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm into the fresh vegetables now. I made a fresh tomato pasta sauce yesterday that was heavenly and today we are having a salad with garden tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, carrots, radishes with homemade ranch dressing and a helping of new potatoes and green beans. I am also making yeast rolls.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Ohhh I'm so jealous. We have had incredible quantities of rain that have damaged most of the green crops (three cyclones, that caused two 1-in-100-year flood events within a week, plus heavier than usual rainfall in the weeks before and after) so veges are still in short supply AND ridiculously expensive ($7 for a head of cauliflower - whaaaaaat!!!). Plus, winter. Shortest day has passed though so at least the light is increasing!

Last night I fried off sliced onion then added sambal oelek (chilli) and about a tablespoon of peanut butter, water and salt, then a pork shoulder chop on top. Lid on and let it steam/cook slowly for about half an hour (it was a thinly cut chop). Served with rice and spinach. Delicious.
Tonight, work-related function, so probably nibbles there and some toast when I get home ;) Tomorrow, leftover pork/rice. Saturday, work mid-winter ball: black tie with a sit-down dinner, should be amazing!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Seared Salmon with Garlicky Zucchini Noodles. Easy and really, really good. I thought that 4 minutes per side would be too much, and cooked the fish for 3 minutes per side -- that was perfect.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-id ... i-noodles/

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 am

On the grill - chicken breasts in cilantro-lime marinade and corn on the cob.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 am

Peanut butter on toast

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Chicken Piccata with fresh green beans and a salad tonight.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Zucchini with stewed tomatoes, cheese, and black olives--and a banana cream pie for dessert.

The chipmunks ate all my strawberries this year, so I dug up the plants and put them in raised beds in the middle of the dog yard. :-)

The raspberries are coming on now though, so raspberry scones for breakfast.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 am

I dunno. I made beef short ribs, 15 hours of slow cooking, so have lots of leftovers, but I think that'll be good for lunches most of this week, and I don't really want to eat it five times in a row (as delicious as they are, that'll get boring). Though, dinner with bf + his folks tomorrow which will be something different. I had roast lamb several times last week... The perils of cooking for one.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:09 pm

I made a big batch of Jamaican Jerk sauce yesterday and sauced four meals' worth of chicken thighs. One package for dinner tonight and the other three are in the freezer.

Alongside we'll have homegrown new potatoes in a simple salad, and steamed artichokes with homemade garlic aioli.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm

I found steak in the freezer (my main problem was forgetting what I had and not wanting to leave the house - haha!).
Sliced onions & several cloves of roughly chopped garlic + a few chilli flakes went into the pan over a medium heat. Steak. Sweet potato noodles (weird Asian things that are absolutely delicious) then threw them and some frozen spinach into the pan to soak up the cooking juices and mix with the onions. Worked out well, I had enough for two portions to go into the freezer for lunches/quick dinners.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:45 pm

I am making French Baguettes today and I think it will be sandwiches on them tonight.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Can I move in with you? Where's the heart-eyes emoticon when I need it........ *swoon*

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Well, yes you can! You know my Billy came from New Zealand? He was wonderfully perfect and I expect you'd be the same.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 am

Steak with home-made spicy potato wedges (oven baked then fried gently), caramelised onions and veges.
Tomorrow is the last of a massaman curry, with sweet potato and spinach in it, served with rice.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Tonight will be shrimp scampi per Serious Eats.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:08 am

I just made Pico de Gallo from my garden. Yummyness. Though I had to purchase one (teenie tiny) jalapeno pepper.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”