"What's for dinner?"

goldhorse
Herd Member

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby goldhorse » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:41 am

Chicken enchiladas. Had leftover filling in the freezer so just had to buy some tortillas and enchilada sauce and Voila!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:25 am

Grilled chicken fajitas. I marinated the chicken for a couple of hours then grilled it on the charcoal grill. I also grilled the vegetables.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 am

Sounds delicious!

Tonight, I have a portion of udon noodles, steamed bok choy with caramelised onions and sesame seeds that needs to go with "something". I've just realised I WAS going to have bacon and eggs with the 'greens' on the side, but forgot to take bacon out of the freezer before I went to work. The other option is chicken, also in the freezer. My freezer is full so I need to avoid the supermarket (I'm terrible at buying for one so everything ends up being meals for several nights, or pre-packed for lunches for several days, and stored in the freezer ... which I can't do with no freezer space!).

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:43 am

silk wrote:Sounds delicious!

Tonight, I have a portion of udon noodles, steamed bok choy with caramelised onions and sesame seeds that needs to go with "something". I've just realised I WAS going to have bacon and eggs with the 'greens' on the side, but forgot to take bacon out of the freezer before I went to work. The other option is chicken, also in the freezer. My freezer is full so I need to avoid the supermarket (I'm terrible at buying for one so everything ends up being meals for several nights, or pre-packed for lunches for several days, and stored in the freezer ... which I can't do with no freezer space!).

The udon and bok choy topped with some sunnyside up eggs sounds just perfect. Maybe with something pickled or spicy as a condiment.

I've been on a bit of a roll with cooking. The garden veg is really coming through, and it makes cooking more fun.

Saturday: crispy tofu with stirfried eggplant and okra, seared ahi tuna steaks with Thai basil pesto, and turmeric ginger fried cauliflower rice.
Sunday: Jerk chicken thighs, braised collards, slices of heirloom beefsteak tomato, and grilled butternut squash
Monday: Chorizo, kale, black bean soup with lots of tomatos; homemade corn tortillas
Tonight: Squash fritters with lemon dill aioli, grilled baby blue potatoes and more heirloom beefsteak tomatoes

I'm thinking tomorrow will be beef stirfry to use up random veggies, then Thursday I'll toss a leg of lamb in the smoker and have lentils and slaw on the side.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:50 am

I ended up doing a bit of a riff on cabonara - fried the bacon and about 10 small sage leaves, added the noodles and greens to warm through then off the heat, added the egg mix (two eggs, salt, pepper, milk as I had no cream, beaten together), stirred gently as the residual pan heat cooked the eggs.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Subway sandwiches, but much better than Subway. I made the Italian bread and cut the 3 slashes in it. So beautiful. I made the sandwiches with fresh roasted chicken breast from a chicken I got at Costco, a piece of bacon, cucumbers, green peppers, lettuce, black olives, garden tomatoes and a oil and vinegar dressing I made. And a couple of jalapeno's for me. Very good and pretty much a quick dinner to make.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:04 pm

silk wrote: The other option is chicken, also in the freezer. My freezer is full so I need to avoid the supermarket (I'm terrible at buying for one so everything ends up being meals for several nights, or pre-packed for lunches for several days, and stored in the freezer ... which I can't do with no freezer space!).

I thaw frozen food in the microwave, or in a bowl of warm water. It doesn't take long, and especially if it was frozen in small portions.

I've been doing a lot of stir fry, or just cooking cut up veggies from the garden all in the same pan, because it seems to be impossible to ruin fresh veggies, and so far, everything I've mixed together has tasted wonderful. I grew celery this year, and while it's tough and dark green compared to store bought, it's been good in everything I've put it in.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:58 pm

I made massaman curry loaded with carrots after buying ~10lb for $4 (the horses will get a treat, too!). There was a piece of thick-cut steak in the home freezer so I diced that and let it cook briefly after the curry sauce had reduced. So delicious... Three lunches this week will be curry with veges and rice ;) I think I have two work events where I'll eat later in the day (pseudo dinner) so I don't think I'll cook much this week.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:43 pm

Your Massaman curry sounds wonderful!

My DH did a roasted wrapped cod in fig leaves with a little fresh fig last night. Served with mix veg and roasted potatoes from the garden. Very nice.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:46 pm

3 bean salad with broccoli, cauliflower, green peppers, corn, and celery. The celery I'm getting from the garden is much greener with a stronger flavor than store bought, so I use it more like parsley.

I think the reason I like this bean salad so much is because the dressing is sweet (1/3 sugar, 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 oil). I suppose I could decrease the sugar, but it is spread pretty thinly over a lot of healthy food....

Now that the tomatoes are coming on I've been experimenting with different combinations for fresh salsa. I'm going to have to start canning it though, because my freezers are full and my mother's are getting there, too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 am

Romaine and cherry tomato salad with capers, artichoke hearts and a garlic anchovy vinaigrette, lamb chops and lentils with carrots and shallots.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Well, our fresh vegetables are over for this year, but I still have Kennebec potatoes so tonight I am making scalloped potatoes, fresh salmon and a nice salad. No dessert as I was too busy.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:09 am

I was late getting home from the barn, then still had chores here ... so frittata with mustard greens (CSA), fingerling potatoes (CSA), and a Field Roast "sausage" with Manhattans :)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:00 am

It's almost asparagus season again - yummmmmmmmm. My friend's dad grows it and sells excess at the gate.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:25 pm

I made mayonnaise today in preparation for tomorrow's dinner. We will be having fresh tarragon chicken salad with croissants.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Went deep sea fishing yesterday so fish chowder today.

I've been boiling down tomatoes, celery. and peppers so we've been dipping into the pot and making goulash, spaghetti, pizza, and anything else that can be tomato sauced.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 pm

kande50 wrote:
I've been boiling down tomatoes, celery. and peppers so we've been dipping into the pot and making goulash, spaghetti, pizza, and anything else that can be tomato sauced.

That all sounds good. I forgot to add I made tomato ketchup yesterday.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 am

Rockabilly wrote:
kande50 wrote:

That all sounds good. I forgot to add I made tomato ketchup yesterday.

"Tis the season - I canned ketchup this weekend as well.

Saturday - chicken green chile vegetable soup
Sunday - sous vide chimichurri salmon, roasted potatoes with homemade fry sauce, garlicky green beans
Monday - giant salads with leftover salmon
Tonight - Spaghetti squash/Italian sausage casserole with extra garden veggies
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 am

I have a new favorite ingredient: Urfa chile

Tonight's dinner:

Lamb chops done sous vide, then finished in the pan with black pepper and smoked salt
Leeks and chanterelles sauteed with lots of butter and fresh thyme
Parsnips roasted and then glazed with an Urfa chile balsamic reduction

I also did another big batch of jerk chicken thighs; one for tomorrow, five in the freezer

Friday and Saturday night was split pea soup, which, oddly, I've been craving.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:20 pm

A very easy and delicious dinner. I also made oatmeal raisin cookies.

Sweet Potato Foil Packets

Ingredients:
1/2 pound ground beef or turkey
2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 cup tomato sauce (4 ounces)
1 can black, kidney, or pinto beans, drained (optional)
2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 6 cups total)
2 Tablespoons butter
salt
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole for garnish
6 12-inch long pieces of aluminum foil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Brown ground meat in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in taco seasoning, tomato sauce, and beans. Set aside.

To assemble packets, spray the foil with non-stick spray. Place 1 cup sweet potato cubes in the center of each piece. Top with a small piece of butter (about 1 tsp) and a pinch or two of salt. Sprinkle some chopped spinach over the sweet potatoes, followed by about 1/3 cup of taco meat and sprinkle of cheese. Fold the sides in, then bring the top and bottom ends of the foil together in the center and fold, sealing the packet.

Repeat with remaining ingredients, placing the packets on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.

Serve with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:59 am

That sounds fabulous, Rockabilly!

Tonight we're having stuffed peppers with the last of some sort of Italian frying pepper from the garden. Stuffing is ground lamb and leftover rice. I layered slices of the last tomatoes over the top. A farewell to summer, I suppose. On the side we're having sauteed spinach with mushrooms, onions and local jalapeno goat cheese. Strong possibility of a G&T with bourbon-barrel gin afterwards.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 am

Steak with caramelised onions and spinach, and pasta thrown around in the pan after the steak was done, with a dash of cream. Yum!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Pomegranate Molasses Glazed Chicken and Carrots with wild rice. Lemon pie for dessert. Homemade.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:44 pm

StraightForward wrote:I layered slices of the last tomatoes over the top. A farewell to summer, I suppose..

Oddly enough, my mother and I just shared the last garden tomato of 2017 on our sandwiches this morning. I don't think we've ever had this many tomatoes for this long, ever!

So now what to put on sandwiches now that we've become so spoiled with all the fresh tomatoes all summer? I guess we're just going to have to settle for chopped onions, carrots, and cabbage this winter.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:21 am

A riff on Rockabilly's corn chowder - with coconut cream instead of (dairy) cream, some frozen spinach, no bacon but chicken breast strips, and a handful of macaroni pasta thrown in to cook near the end. Served with deliciously fresh baguette that was on sale at the supermarket this afternoon for 99c.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Chicken with grapes and pecans salad and a loaf of homemade French bread. I also made the mayonnaise for the salad. I am perusing cookie recipes to see if I want to make any.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Chicken with grapes and pecans salad and a loaf of homemade French bread. I also made the mayonnaise for the salad. I am perusing cookie recipes to see if I want to make any.

I stick with one kind of cookie (choc chip oatmeal) both because if we're bored with them we won't be in the freezer getting another one out every time we sit down, and because they're good when we do eat them. But then, most cookie recipes that start with a cup of butter are good.

We take them with us when we ride to our friends' for coffee, and one of them doesn't like nuts so I add those white vanilla chips instead. So basically a toll house recipe with 3 cups of oatmeal instead of part of the flour, and white chips instead of the nuts. I use maple syrup instead of sugar because we have a lot of it, but they're just as good with white and brown sugar.

Shortbread cookies are one of my favorites, too.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Tonight will be Chicken Piccata with wild rice and a fruit salad. I made the dough for doughnuts yesterday and put it in the refrigerator overnight. I will be making doughnuts this morning along with a chocolate glaze for them. My husband loves doughnuts.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:52 am

Tonight was a different kind of dinner for us. I made omelets with different vegetables in them and a homemade muffin. I also made a carrot cake today so we will have that later. I think it was just the kind of weather we're having for the reason to have omelets. Dark, dreary, snowy & icy.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:27 pm

I had crispy roasted duck fat potatoes, with duck, cooked for me. With green beans and zucchini, fresh from the garden. Divine. (This boy is trying to impress me, clearly has realised food is the way to my heart :lol: )

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm

I've bribed DH into coming out and videotaping my ride this afternoon by promising to take him to our favorite pizza joint afterwards.

I picked up two gigantic plantains at WholeFoods on Friday, so tomorrow I'm making Pastelon along with our standard bigass salad.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am

Straightforward, that sounds completely yummy! I recall making grand plots to travel 50 miles in college in order to acquire plantains and spices.

Enjoy!

We are more Euro tonight with:

"Jacques Pepin Roast Chicken Thighs": Marinate in olive oil, dijon, herbe de provence, vermouth, a little soy sauce then sear and roast.
Home grown sweet potato gratin
and Assorted roast roots (turnips, parsnips, carrots)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Last night I made spaghetti squash and a sauce based on roasted Roma tomatoes from last summer's garden - simple and delicious!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am

I made chicken legs, with sliced onions, mustard seeds, and a spice mix (think a smoky paprika sort of thing)... Fry off onions and spices, set aside, fry off chicken legs, add onion mix back, added salt and pepper, a cup of red wine and another of water, a tin of chickpeas, and cooked on very low for about half an hour.
Then my friend invited me around for a bonfire so it looks like nachos & salsa and pizza, hah!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 pm

It's a rainy day here so I am going to make macaroni and cheese with a nice salad for our dinner. Along with a homemade banana pudding for my husband. I do not like banana pudding.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:10 am

It was quite a cool day so I made spaghetti and meat sauce. I also made an Italian loaf of bread to go with it. A little salad with homemade dressing and jello for dessert.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:30 am

Leg of lamb sous vide with urfa chile and smoked salt. Then I had blueberry pancakes because DH offered to pick up salad, and then didn't and claimed amnesia. Salad tomorrow, and I'm thinking of making a ragout of some of the lamb and it's jous to top a nice mushroom polenta.
Keep calm and canter on.

horsepepsi
Greenie

Postby horsepepsi » Fri May 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Using some beef ribs that I dug out of my freezer (didn't know they were there). After I clean out my crockpot from the layers of dust that has come to rest on it. Going to place them in it, with some onion, and bearded butcher seasoning and just a titch of water and turn on low and cook until done. Maybe 6hrs.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun May 13, 2018 12:15 am

I'm up to my ears in farm strawberries. So I made a fresh strawberry pie. Crust too. Strawberry lemonade and tomorrow I am making strawberry preserves and after that a strawberry cake. Oh, for dinner we made baked sweet potatoes with spinach and avocado on top.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun May 13, 2018 4:33 am

Not sure on dinner but dessert is chocolate brownie with caramel - mostly sugar free, except for the 170grams of 72% bittersweet dark chocolate.

Probably served with cream, but I have no whisk or beater so it won't be whipped :lol:

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am

Cauliflower cheese macaroni, sauce made with sage, bay, cream and smoked cheese. Was delicious!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Fresh vegetables are coming in here. I've been busy. I did everything I could with strawberries and yesterday I got new potatoes, green onions,yellow squash, zucchini , lettuce and cucumbers. Today I made pickles and tonight we will have squash casserole with a salad and homemade ranch dressing.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Killer turkey burgers! Tender, moist, just great.

1 lb. ground turkey
1 medium egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup quick-cooking steel cut oats
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbl minced fresh (I used fresh summer savory)
1 tsp dry yellow mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, minced

Using a metal spoon, gently combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Make four globs of the mixture on a plate, and then shape then gently, again with the spoon, into four patties. By not using your hands, the mixture stays tender.

Spray a cast iron skillet with Pam. Heat skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook burgers about 4 minutes per side, or until thoroughly cooked.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:53 am

I'm making pizza with a riced cauliflower base. Last time I made it, I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 am

We are up to our ears in fresh vegetables. I have made so many things and tonight it was shrimp and green bean stir fry. I made Shepherd's pie a few nights ago with mashed Kennebec potatoes.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:26 am

The only thing I have out of the garden is pumpkin. Some wild-grown/self-seeded ones which are delicious, we think they are "Queensland Blue" variety, and a billion small butternut squashes (mum repeatedly commented on their small size, then found about 100 of the buggers at harvest time - only about 6-10 plants).

Consequently, made pumpkin lasagne last week. V good for not following a recipe... just cooked pumpkin with minimal water in pressure cooker then mashed, seasoned. Layered with a white/cheese sauce and pasta sheets. Delish.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am

I made a curry with "whatever was in the fridge/freezer" and a packet of "yellow Thai curry" sauce. Chicken, potato, capsicum, onion, cauliflower, and some finely sliced green cabbage near the end. Surprisingly delicious, although I did add more (very spicy) sambal olek chilli to give it a bit of a kick (packet sauce is usually disappointingly not-spicy). Served with rice, yum.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 am

The vegetables are soon to be done for here. So tonight's dinner was salmon and a salad, but tomorrow I'm thinking of making Chinese Dumplings. They sound so good and I will make the wrappers myself.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:59 am

Last night I made a lemon herb roasted chicken with blue potatoes and homegrown carrots. I have loads of garlic from the garden, so I broke up a head, put the unpeeled cloves in a ramekin and covered with olive oil and popped them in the oven. After about 15 minutes they were thoroughly roasted, and the now garlic-infused oil went right over the chicken, taters and carrots. We fished the roasted cloves out of their wrappers and tucked them into the little roasted potatoes to eat. On the side, romaine caprese salad with a few types of heirloom tomatoes and a little balsamic vinegar and pepper.

Today the leftover chicken was repurposed into a pasta dish with lots of mushrooms, garlic, olives, tomatoes and shallots.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 am

I have been eating cucumbers, cucumbers, cucumbers, and a side of cucumbers.

I'm house/animal/farm/chicken/horse/Dad (he's in the VA home) sitting for Mom while she takes a vacation, and she has a vegetable garden for a family of 10. I'm overflowing with cucumbers, beans (freeze), greens (freeze), squash, and okra (freeze). Fortunately, her tomatoes haven't ripened yet.

Does anyone have a great recipe for chocolate zucchini cake?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”