"What's for dinner?"

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:57 pm

We just had a change of plans — our hosts both have gotten covid within the past week — so with my crappy lungs we're skipping their big family gathering.

I'm making roast brussels, stuffing balls, cranberry sauce, and either mashed or roasted garlicky root vegetables. Possibly tamales too.
Last edited by heddylamar on Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:27 pm

I'm working Thanksgiving so and Mt son is in retail so we had the turkey on Sunday. I made a root vegetable galette and a fruity spicy dressing. In my house pumpkin pie is the favorite so we had two pies forv3 of us lol.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:47 am

There's just the two of us this year. I'm doing stuffed turkey tenderloins wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes, sprouts and carrots, and gravy, and cranberry sauce (for which I now realize I forgot the orange. I will have to brave the store tomorrow.)

Its all the turkey flavors without the giant bird. I make enough for leftovers on Friday.

Lemon tart for dessert I think.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:41 am

Woo, I conquered duck breast! Still have the rest of the duck, so I'll be making confit duck legs next.

Kept dinner to green beans, mashed potatoes and the duck, to maintain room for cheesecake.

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:29 am

Moutaineer, sounds really delicious.

StraightForward, duck and goose were always our family feast table. Good choice.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:17 pm

SF, I can't ever seem to find whole ducks around here. I can get frozen duck breasts, which are OK. I haven't done them for a while. I should put them back on the list!

Dinner was good. Leftovers will be good today, too!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:29 am

Sadly the big Asian market near our house closed up recently, so I ended up ordering the duck from Whole Foods. It came frozen, but I don't think that affected it. The confit was quite lovely - pan seared it and it was like duck carnitas. Chisamba, maybe next year I'll try a goose!

I think Christmas will be leg of lamb. I picked one up after Thanksgiving, but ended up tossing it in the freezer. I used to get the best local lamb from a buy with a bunch of kids in FFA, but they must have all grown up because he doesn't seem to have sheep anymore. Hoping this organic grocery store lamb is at least half as good!
Keep calm and canter on.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:19 pm

StraightForward wrote:Sadly the big Asian market near our house closed up recently, so I ended up ordering the duck from Whole Foods. It came frozen, but I don't think that affected it. The confit was quite lovely - pan seared it and it was like duck carnitas. Chisamba, maybe next year I'll try a goose!

I think Christmas will be leg of lamb. I picked one up after Thanksgiving, but ended up tossing it in the freezer. I used to get the best local lamb from a buy with a bunch of kids in FFA, but they must have all grown up because he doesn't seem to have sheep anymore. Hoping this organic grocery store lamb is at least half as good!

It's always good if you can find out where the lamb is from. With apologies to any Aussies here, you want American lamb, and if you can find it from Superior lamb cooperative, I highly recommend it. Of course nothing beats local 4H or FFA, but Superior is...well...Superior. I don't eat lamb personally, but I know some of the Superior producers and I drive past their flocks regularly. Good folks and local chefs and bougie grocery stores agree.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Well, we are doing a rib roast instead of the lamb. Just a basic grocery store one, but I'll be starting it sous vide tonight, so it should infuse a lot of flavor.

We have quite a few good sources of lamb here. Many of the sheep ranchers summer in Idaho and winter in the Central Valley. We usually buy a beef quarter from a local guy who has all kinds of certifications, but skipped this year because we still had a fair bit from last year.

Today is baking - I'm making chewy gingersnaps and chocolate-dipped shortbread for the stable, then cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting for morning, and a chocolate/macadamia/Nutella tart for dessert.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”