"What's for dinner?"

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:10 pm

On tonight's menu: Macadamia Encrusted chicken and honey/balsamic brussels sprouts

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Honey balsamic brussels sprouts? Are they roasted and drizzled cause that sounds delicious!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Yes. Roasted then drizzled.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Wine with a side of portobello pizzas and garlic bread. Iced pumpkin bars for when the wine is gone.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:37 am

Ready?

Vegetarian chik'n nuggets and tater crowns. And a tootsie roll.

All you foodies may scream bloody murder at will. :D

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:38 am

I started off cooking some kumara (sweet potato) with some onions. Then I added some cubed beets and a bit of water. And realised I had no idea what I was trying to achieve, so let it come to the boil then turned it off. Went to collect mum from work, came home, removed everything from the pot and started over. Fried off some chicken legs, added in half a can of coconut cream and the "broth" from the veges, plus the beet pieces which weren't quite cooked. Simmered for a bit to cook the chicken through, then added the stalks of some chard and bok choy, and have just added the shredded leaves and the sweet potato.

I have no idea what I've done... it better taste nice! Will serve with rice, if that's any help ?!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:43 am

Leftover leftovers... which might have been an error of judgement. And half a bar of fruit and nut chocolate.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:06 am

silk wrote:I started off cooking some kumara (sweet potato) with some onions. Then I added some cubed beets and a bit of water. And realised I had no idea what I was trying to achieve, so let it come to the boil then turned it off. Went to collect mum from work, came home, removed everything from the pot and started over. Fried off some chicken legs, added in half a can of coconut cream and the "broth" from the veges, plus the beet pieces which weren't quite cooked. Simmered for a bit to cook the chicken through, then added the stalks of some chard and bok choy, and have just added the shredded leaves and the sweet potato.

I have no idea what I've done... it better taste nice! Will serve with rice, if that's any help ?!

I can confirm, was delicious. I am too full for seconds!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:07 pm

silk wrote:
silk wrote:I started off cooking some kumara (sweet potato) with some onions. Then I added some cubed beets and a bit of water. And realised I had no idea what I was trying to achieve, so let it come to the boil then turned it off. Went to collect mum from work, came home, removed everything from the pot and started over. Fried off some chicken legs, added in half a can of coconut cream and the "broth" from the veges, plus the beet pieces which weren't quite cooked. Simmered for a bit to cook the chicken through, then added the stalks of some chard and bok choy, and have just added the shredded leaves and the sweet potato.

I can confirm, was delicious. I am too full for seconds!

Sounds kind of amazing actually!

Tonight I've got swordfish and will stop for a lemon and some Italian parsley for it. Add salad and I'm done.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Canyon wrote:For those cold nights when you need something warm in your stomach, but you don't quite feel like cooking a big dinner - how about crock pot cocktails?

:lol:

Awesome link!
redsoxluvr wrote:Ready?

I have No. Words.

Back from Galway Downs, where my 4 yr old was a complete rockstar, and after a week of swilling vile coffee and eating restaurant and/or event catered food, I am very much looking forward to making and eating Pork Green Chile and sitting down to catch up with a week's worth of British TV.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:52 am

Grilled lean hamburger With sharp cheddar cheese & sautéed mushrooms, baked steak fries, large glass of cold skim milk.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:11 am

Leftovers of last night's amazing creation will be served in an hour.

As for tomorrow, I have no idea. I am still laughing at my inability to know what I was cooking yesterday... but it turned out a-ok so that says something about my ability to throw ingredients together and produce something edible, I guess. :lol:

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 am

That swordfish was pretty good but the collard greens I sautéed were delicious--who knew?!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:37 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:Ready?

The only thing wrong with that is the tootsie roll. Substitute a Reese peanut butter cup and it's a perfect meal. I love me some tater tots.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Tonight, we are having pot roast that is cooking in the crock pot. I LOVE my crock pot. It's so nice to come home from a long day at work and not have to cook. Plus we have yoga tonight so it will be all done as soon as we get home. YUM!

As for Vegetarian "chicken" nuggets, GROSS!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:12 pm

I want the recipes for pork green chile and iced pumpkin bars!

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Pork Green Chili

2 lbs pork, diced
3 medium onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
1 large container of roasted chopped green Hatch chillies (I like Bueno - available in the frozen section of your supermarket) - 28oz
3 cups chicken stock (I use water and bullion)

Working in batches, quickly brown the pork in some oil. Set aside and add the onions garlic and cumin seeds to the pan. Over a medium heat, fry onions until golden. Add the pork back to the pan, the green chili and the stock. Bring to boil, season well with pepper and turn down to a low simmer and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pork is meltingly smooth. Serve with diced boiled potatoes in a bowl, smothered with the chili and warm tortillas. A dollop of sour cream or whole yoghurt is most welcome.

This recipe is *very* adaptable - don't get hung up on quantities...

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:50 pm

I really want to like crockpot cooking, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I can't stand meat cooked in the crockpot. It's just awful in flavor and texture. Whatever I put in the crockpot with the meat always has a good taste, but the meat is just blah and I can't get past the texture of it.

Am I doing something wrong, possibly?
Last edited by Racetrackreject on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:59 pm

no, you're not. Crockpots are up there with microwaves. They might be good for beet pulp in winter though.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 pm

M&M, I'd give you the recipe for Iced Pumpkin Bars but they're from the Moosewood Dessert Cookbook and I would be drawn and quartered if I posted copyrighted material. :roll:

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 pm

I made Don Giovanni's Pad Thai last night. It was very good; I love the flavor of that sauce.

I had to substitute sunflower seed sprouts for the bean sprouts. The grocery store no longer stocks bean sprouts because of all the recalls :o . That was fine; the sunflower sprouts were pretty tasty!

Tonight is a soup or stew made with left-over roasted winter squash.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:I really want to like crockpot cooking, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I can't stand meat cooked in the crockpot. It's just awful in flavor and texture. Whatever I put in the crockpot with the meat always has a good taste, but the meat is just blah and I can't get past the texture of it.

Am I doing something wrong, potentially?

Texture is such a personal thing. I love the texture of pot roast cooked in the crockpot.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:15 pm

bascar wrote:no, you're not. Crockpots are up there with microwaves. They might be good for beet pulp in winter though.

Except I haven't caught the crockpot on fire yet.

I'm off to start Crock Pot Lasagna, we'll see how this goes!

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Scratch that, I'm having ranch pasta with olives and tomatoes and the rest of my can of tomatoes with olive oil and vinegar.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:02 pm

left overs soup, which turned out to be really delicious. chicken, mango, ginger, with added vegetables.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Last night, roasted chicken and root veggies again. Tonight: chili-cheese baked potaters.
Keep calm and canter on.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Soup! Curried carrot / parsnip / beet soup with ginger: Saute onion and 2 tablespoons sliced fresh ginger; add some cumin / curry powder / turmeric / garam masala / cayenne and continue to saute until fragrant; add some garlic if you like it; then : add 4 or 5 peeled chopped carrots / 2 - 3 parsnips and a beet, all peeled and chopped together with 2 C or so of veg or chicken stock; 1 tsp. or so of brown sugar; simmer until all vegetables are soft. Blend until smooth - it will be thick, with a glorious deep orange color; THEN add 2 C in total of some combination of 2% yoghurt, milk, coconut milk and heat gently (do not boil): quite yummy. Garnish with coriander (cilantro).

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:19 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:M&M, I'd give you the recipe for Iced Pumpkin Bars but they're from the Moosewood Dessert Cookbook and I would be drawn and quartered if I posted copyrighted material. :roll:

Yes, you can. If you type out the ingredients and directions you are doing nothing illegal.

http://opensourcecook.com/recipes-copyright-law

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:22 pm

bascar wrote:no, you're not. Crockpots are up there with microwaves. They might be good for beet pulp in winter though.

I gave my crockpot an honest try and have been disappointed with everything that came out of it. I'm donating it to a thrift store.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Impromptu 12 hour road trip yesterday so I had a fish filet sans bun, half of a milkshake, and several hours later a cold big mac--sans buns again.
A few hours later a shot of espresso, and finally finished up with cheese and crackers and a vodka tonic at midnight.
I feel remarkably ok for the junk I ingested.

Am visiting family and expect dinner will be a venison roast w all the fixins, probably even local moonshine, lol.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Last night, cheese and crackers and wine, as I went over to see a friend and we got talking (oops!). When I got home I ate an avocado (it was a bit late to make anything full on and I wasn't really hungry).
Tonight, the T-bone steak I was supposed to have last night.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Canadian Trotter, please consider one more trial for your slow cooker! They can be marvellous. Both Canadian Living and America's Test Kitchen have fabulous books and recipes. Tasty and attractive recipes from "Cooking Light" include "Chicken and Chickpea Tangine", and "Cuban Pork Shoulder with Beans and Rice". As that magazine pointed out, there is the potential for what they dub "Slow Overcooker Syndrome" through which flavor, texture and appearance are totally defeated. "Cooking Light" points out that recipes have a beginning, middle and end. Take time on the front end to prepare the ingredients properly (including braising or searing as required) and be mindful of the importance of garnishes and accompaniments at the other end of the cooking process. It really does make a difference.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 am

Ooookay, Calvin. :?

Because you put your request and advice so very nicely I will give it another whirl. I'm going to be busy packing to relocate so it will be nice to be able to prepare one-pot meals that I won't have to fiddle with and be able to just serve when done. Is there a particular cookbook you think is the best one that I could buy or search online for?

After shopping all day with my best bosom pal, tonights dinner was a wonderful chinese buffet with friends, family and a very cute waiter.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:40 pm

Last night a grilled cheese and steak sandwich, and I think we all know who's to blame for that....

Tonight I am making Rockabilly's Corn Chowder and a vegetarian chile. There will be soughdough bowls and cornbread (neither made by me) to accompany. Alongside will be a vat of mulled wine. We shall eat around the huge bonfire which is unnervingly close to the chicken shed, but it's cold here so maybe the chickens will be grateful.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Tonight is gourmet meatloaf (jarlsberg cheese, bacon), baked taties, spinach soufflé. It's my brother in law's birthday and he always asks for meatloaf (shmeatloaf double beet loaf) for his birthday dinner.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:17 pm

OOOH no CT- you want just ONE cookbook recommendation? - You are talking to a "cook-book-a-holic" you know - there are NO CALORIES in reading recipes. As to books - perhaps "Slow Cooker Revolution" by America's Test Kitchen / Cooks Illustrated which has a "Slow Cooker 101" section to read as to techniques and tips - and then recipes for fabulous soups and stews; braises; chilis and BBQ faves, casseroles, pasta sauces .... or perhaps the Canadian Living Slow Cooker Collection book which adds to the foregoing a wide selection of chowders, curries, appetizers, vegetable and side dishes and even desserts .... truly, it is a fun world, and GREAT for entertaining (how else do you have turkey stuffing for 15 people hot and at the ready?) and making hot things (or mulled wine!) to take to clinics when it is COLD out there ... you can do a fabulous pulled pork for sandwiches and tacos - and I could go on. But shall not. Because I have to figure out - "what's for dinner" !

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Part of dinner is ready. I made Ina Garten's Lemon Cake and I think it's my most favorite cake ever.

Dreamer
Greenie

Postby Dreamer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:50 pm

This makes my mouth water. Just having an Oberon right now.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:37 am

Old fashioned beef sloppy joes with added red onions and mushrooms sautéed with the beef. Served with sharp cheddar on brioche bun & a large glass of cold milk.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:41 am

Lemon and garlic chicken with mushrooms (adapted from the NYT recipe because I am unable to follow a recipe properly), egg noodles from Greece because of nationalistic pride and supporting their economy by buying any good looking food product they send over here, and apple pie with a few Montmorency cherries thrown in for color and fun.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:45 am

Bascar,

could you post that recipe? I have a hankering for some corn chowder. Or, if you have a salmon chowder recipe that you love, I'd like to hear it!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 am

scruffy the cat wrote: ... adapted from the NYT recipe because I am unable to follow a recipe properly ...

I am glad to see I am not the only one who cannot follow a recipe to the letter.
I'm always deciding... nah, I will put THIS much in, or change THAT for something else, or add some of THIS to jazz it up - as I'm cooking. It makes for some delicious dinners, but often not repeatable :mrgreen:

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:30 am

I love reading recipes, but actually following them? Not so much. This gets fun when baking, but I've figured out the ratios long ago. I don't make the most elegant food in the world, but I will say, all this meddling has given me skills in getting out of tight spots cooking-wise. So much so that my culinary-school trained sister would call me when things didn't go as planned.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:13 am

Thanks calvin... I will look into those titles.

Tonight I had maple glazed turkey thigh with roasted potatoes and onions(in the same dish) with brussel sprouts on the side.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:26 am

I brined a couple pork loin chops with black pepper and Rosemary, gave them a nice pan sear and then smothered them in onions and mushrooms cooked in an obscene amount of ghee and tossed them in the oven. Had our usual giant-ass salads alongside them. And I'm doing Whole30, so a mug of mint tea instead of a glass of wine.
Keep calm and canter on.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:Bascar,

could you post that recipe? I have a hankering for some corn chowder. Or, if you have a salmon chowder recipe that you love, I'd like to hear it!

I doubled this recipe for last night and everyone raved. It's a Rockabilly recipe

Well Fed Corn Chowder
3 slices applewood smoked bacon, diced
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups onion, diced
3 to 4 tbsp flour
4 cups fresh corn Kernels (Rockabilly notes: I used about 6 ears of fresh corn. Bascar notes: frozen works fine)
1 tsp fresh Thyme, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup cream
8 oz fingerling or new potatoes, sliced
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add butter and onion to drippings in pan and cook about 8 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. Continue to cook until the flour has turned a pale golden color which should take about a minute or two. Add the corn, chopped thyme and garlic to pan and stir to combine. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Stir in broth, cream and potatoes.
Cover and crank heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the broth has thickened, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the reserved crumbled bacon.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm so making that corn chowder this winter. And I don't even consider soup to be food.....although I do make an exception for Paula Deen's beef and onion soup.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Last night we had shrimp gumbo, the night before that it was potato soup, and before that chili. Today it's leftovers!

VictoriaB
Greenie

Postby VictoriaB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Just made the world's easiest, most delicious autumn lunch. Spaghetti squash from my garden. Cut in half vertically, scoop out seeds, lay cut side down in dish, microwave for about 20 minutes, scoop out squash, toss with olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley from the garden.

So plain, so simple, so yummy!!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:34 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:Thanks calvin... I will look into those titles.

Tonight I had maple glazed turkey thigh with roasted potatoes and onions(in the same dish) with brussel sprouts on the side.

Try this one:

Crock Pot Turkey Thighs

2 or 3 turkey thighs, skin and excess fat removed
3 medium carrots, cut in 2” pieces
3 or 4 medium potatoes, cut in half
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 package onion soup mix

Sprinkle about 1/3 of the soup mix in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the meat on top, then the carrots and potatoes. Add the cranberry sauce, and sprinkle the rest of the soup mix on top. Cover and cool on low 7 to 8 hours.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”