"What's for dinner?"

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

Rockabilly, are they sort of like a donut? pastry/dough around filling then deep fried? Sounds amazing, regardless!

Last night, we had a sort of curry... Briefly stir-fried veges, with some left over curry (chicken with sauce from a jar). I spiced it up a little with some massaman curry paste. Delicious!

Tonight, something with steak and pasta. Maybe cheese or parsley sauce.

Sunday, something quick and easy but delicious, I have another date ;) after a full weekend of house renovation, trimming hooves, and travel, hence "quick and easy"!!!

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:15 am

Tonight was baingan bharta and bhindi masala :D

The fried apple pies I've had were pastry not a donut. Is that what yours are, Rockabilly?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:38 pm

I have been harvesting my bountiful crop of basil and making large batches of pesto. So pesto pizza on a cauliflower crust two nights ago, and pesto on sautéed summer squash last night.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:41 pm

silk wrote:
Rockabilly wrote:Fresh vegetables are over for us so no more yummy tomatoes. My husband did ask me to make old-fashioned fried apple pies. I made them this afternoon with fresh Granny Smith apples, a bit of butter, a bit of sugar and some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'm sure some of y'all have heard of fried apples pies. Dinner tonight will be a nice sandwich on my homemade bread with the pies for dessert. :D

Rockabilly, are they sort of like a donut? pastry/dough around filling then deep fried? Sounds amazing, regardless!

No, they are nothing like a donut. Maybe similiar to your hand held meat pies. I really don't know because I've never seen or had one.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:04 pm

heddylamar wrote:Tonight was baingan bharta and bhindi masala :D

The fried apple pies I've had were pastry not a donut. Is that what yours are, Rockabilly?

Fried apple and peach pies are a very southern thing. Sometimes I wonder how the old folks came up with some of these things and what I think, but haven't proved is that the old folks made do with everything and no leftovers. I think how these fried pies got started is that someone had the idea of using biscuit dough, maybe leftover. Then they had dried fruit from their trees to have in the winter. They put them together and fried the pies and what you get is crunchy, fruity deliciousness.

I make mine by making a biscuit dough type to enclose the fruit. I use buttermilk. After I've made the dough in a bowl I pinch off small balls, lay them on a dusting of flour on the counter and roll them into about a 8 inch circle. I take about 2 Tablespoons or a little more of the fruit that I prepared earlier and allowed to cool and place it at one end of the circle. I fold the circle over to make a half moon and seal the edges by pressing a fork along the edges. It is a distinctive design. I make all of them at one time. Then I fry them in hot oil. I don't like dried apples so I used fresh Granny Smith apples. For me the dough is always the same and it's not like a pie crust. Probably almost any small fruit filling would work.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Rockabilly wrote:

Fried apple and peach pies are a very southern thing. Sometimes I wonder how the old folks came up with some of these things and what I think, but haven't proved is that the old folks made do with everything and no leftovers. I think how these fried pies got started is that someone had the idea of using biscuit dough, maybe leftover. Then they had dried fruit from their trees to have in the winter. They put them together and fried the pies and what you get is crunchy, fruity deliciousness.

I make mine by making a biscuit dough type to enclose the fruit. I use buttermilk. After I've made the dough in a bowl I pinch off small balls, lay them on a dusting of flour on the counter and roll them into about a 8 inch circle. I take about 2 Tablespoons or a little more of the fruit that I prepared earlier and allowed to cool and place it at one end of the circle. I fold the circle over to make a half moon and seal the edges by pressing a fork along the edges. It is a distinctive design. I make all of them at one time. Then I fry them in hot oil. I don't like dried apples so I used fresh Granny Smith apples. For me the dough is always the same and it's not like a pie crust. Probably almost any small fruit filling would work.

I've had the pastry variety, but didn't realize that they were also made with biscuit dough. Where were these all the years I lived in GA?? I've got to try that! My pastry skills are seriously challenged :D

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Rockabilly wrote:

Ahhh! like Calzone (Italian fried pizza). Drool!!!!

Our meat pies aren't deep fried. Usually something like flaky pastry, in a tin/mould, with filling then a lid/top, and baked.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl ... FXoECAQQBg

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:29 am

Salad with homemade Cesar dressing, fried green tomatoes with dill yogurt, jerk chicken and tamales. Random but good.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:33 am

Do you make your own tamales? What was in them?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:50 am

Yes, I make a big batch and freeze them. Different fillings, some were pulled turkey, some sausage and olives, some cheese.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:58 pm

I do one big tamale making session too. It's never exactly the same (depends on what I get from CSA), but there are generally 1-2 vegetable filling and one bean. Last time it was greens and cheese in some, roasted vegetables and cheese in a some, beans in others. All get strips of roasted pepper -- normally poblano, serrano, or jalapeno, and, again, the peppers are dependent on CSA.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:15 pm

I had to look up what CSA is and I wish I could participate. After a lot of looking and research I have just ordered a Breville Fast Slow Cooker so I am looking forward to trying ti out.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Last night I cooked what was supposed to be a sort of Cajun-seasoned chicken, but I had a large leek that needed using which took away from the seasoning so it ended up being a generically saucy chicken and leek stew (it did get another dollop of sambal olek chilli so had a bit of a kick). Served with pasta. Leftovers for lunch. Surprisingly good, albeit not what I set out to make.

I'm housesitting - well, puppy sitting! - from tonight for my aunt and uncle. They are away for 2 weeks in the USA and have a 5mo Airedale terrier. I'm not sure if she'll have left food in the fridge, or if I'll grab takeaways, or just make some toasties, until I get there.

I have a lovely bunch of bok choy and asparagus, perhaps chicken with cream sauce will be a nice match for it. However, I left them in the fridge at the apartment, and won't have time to grab them after work tonight, so tomorrow it is.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:32 pm

silk wrote:They are away for 2 weeks in the USA and have a 5mo Airedale terrier.

My sister got a ~3 month old Airedale pup to go with the one she got from the same breeder two years ago, and I just got an 8 year old ChihuahuaX for my mother. So it must be all kinds of fun and games on the days my sister is there with 2 dogs, 2 cats, and our 94 year old mother. :-)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:09 am

kande50 wrote:
silk wrote:They are away for 2 weeks in the USA and have a 5mo Airedale terrier.

My sister got a ~3 month old Airedale pup to go with the one she got from the same breeder two years ago, and I just got an 8 year old ChihuahuaX for my mother. So it must be all kinds of fun and games on the days my sister is there with 2 dogs, 2 cats, and our 94 year old mother. :-)

They did the same... Adopted an older bitch (approx 5yo) who did not fit in with the breeders' other dogs, and went on waiting list for puppy. The older dog was an absolute delight and fit in to their house really well. They collected 3mo puppy then found out only days later that the bitch had a large cancerous tumour so had to put her down. Very sad, although the puppy is thriving. I'm going to have a busy two weeks with him!!!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am

silk wrote:
They did the same... Adopted an older bitch (approx 5yo) who did not fit in with the breeders' other dogs, and went on waiting list for puppy. The older dog was an absolute delight and fit in to their house really well. They collected 3mo puppy then found out only days later that the bitch had a large cancerous tumour so had to put her down. Very sad, although the puppy is thriving. I'm going to have a busy two weeks with him!!!

Interestingly, most (or maybe even all) of the 8 pups from this litter went to owners who already had adults from previous litters.

And yes, I'm quite sure you're going to have a busy couple of weeks. :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:50 pm

heddylamar wrote:I do one big tamale making session too. It's never exactly the same (depends on what I get from CSA), but there are generally 1-2 vegetable filling and one bean. Last time it was greens and cheese in some, roasted vegetables and cheese in a some, beans in others. All get strips of roasted pepper -- normally poblano, serrano, or jalapeno, and, again, the peppers are dependent on CSA.

Sounds good - I also do a bit of the "whatever's available" approach, hence the sausage-filled ones last year.

Took the week off work, so I have more time to cook. I have half a leg of lamb going sous vide right now. Shot full of homegrown red garlic, sprinkled with pepper, black salt, and several fresh thyme sprigs around the outside. Homegrown leeks and carrots will be on the side.

If anyone is looking for a nice brunch or dessert item, I made this apple skillet cake yesterday, minus the frosting. I think the caramel frosting would be way too sweet, but it would be fab with a cream cheese frosting for more of a dessert. It's better the next day. DH declared it "the most perfect cake" and he generally is not a fan of cake. I baked it in a springform pan and it took about 40 minutes. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... l-frosting
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:10 pm

A nice omelet and apple dumplings for dessert. It was a busy day.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:25 am

Naan, curry lamb with prunes, carrot raita and red lentil Dahl. Yum!
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm surviving! Puppy is a right handful but settling into things and being much more reliable (his ears are still painted on at times, but he's far less bitey and jumpy as he's learned those things will. not. be. tolerated.)

Last night, tacos with the bf and his flat. Tonight I plan to cook - ordinary and sweet potatoes (might throw them in the oven to crisp up - I already par boiled them)), fresh asparagus - lightly steamed, sirloin steak, caramelised onions.

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:26 pm

I found a large package of frozen boneless /skinless chicken breasts in the freezer yesterday. So today there are two pans of chicken covered with fresh spinach and mushrooms, cream cheese and minced shallots in the oven. I'll give one to my nieghbor, and keep one for moi.
I'll grate up some asiago for it later.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm

I forgot to take something out of the freezer for tonight, oops.

The steak and roast veges went down a treat. I 'roasted' the asparagus and broccoli with oil, S&P and pinenuts - delicious. Cooked the steak slightly more than I intended, but still lovely.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm

It is a chilly dreary day here so I made a roast in my Breville Pot. First time for that, but it seems to have come out well. I will make gravy with the drippings and mashed potatoes along with green beans.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm making an effort to use my Instant Pot for more things than cooking artichokes, hard boiled eggs, and steel cut oats. So, I'm experimenting with a pork chipotle stew tonight.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:47 pm

BF made me dinner last night. I had two trims later in the day (got there at 5pm, left at 7pm). Dinner was on the table within 2 mins of me walking in the door at 7.30... I didn't even have a chance to say "can I grab a quick shower before we eat," haha!
Pasta, chicken, spices (5 different ones, not sure which, but definitely turmeric). Tomatoes, asparagus. Hearty, delicious and zero effort on my part - win!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Chorizo-stuffed mushrooms, tiny fingerling potatoes from the garden, and roasted Brussels sprouts are on the menu tonight.

Tomorrow I'm making salmon, French lentils with carrots and shallots, and sauteed Swiss chard.

Later in the week, butter chicken with cauliflower rice.
Keep calm and canter on.

fallingwaters
Greenie

Postby fallingwaters » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:53 am

Yesterday I was all alone for the first time in a few months, so I ate a steak while watching Designated Survivor in my jammies. It was wonderful!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Last night I made a butternut squash and mushroom curry that was very tasty.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

I have two leeks to use so I should make risotto.
I feel like everything but, ha ha!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Well, I've taken on a new project.......sourdough bread. I made my starter last week and fed it everyday. Yesterday I made the dough for the bread, put it in the refrigerator to rise overnight and baked it this morning. Turned out very, very well. Today I will make sourdough cinnamon raisin bread and also put it in the refrigerator to rise overnight. Then I'm going to make sourdough English Muffins!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:50 pm

Oooh! I hope you love the sourdough starter!! I nabbed a piece of my mother’s ancient sourdough starter when i was visiting last spring. Since then, it’s given us a gazillion awesome artisan-type loaves (I use the technique from Bon Apetit’s youtube video “Brad and Claire make sourdough”), waffles, and biscuits.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 am

Yum, sourdough! I made a starter a year or two ago, and the bread was delicious, but I could never get it to rise the way I wanted. If I ever try again, I think I'll buy a starter, or get some from a proven one.

Yesterday we had delicious fish tacos on homemade corn tortillas. Tonight is tofu/veggie stirfry and rice.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 am

My starter is easy to make and feed each day. I did make the Cinnamon Raisin bread and I put it in the refrigerator to rise overnight, but I just looked at it and it has risen quite a bit over the edges of the bread pan. I decided I needed to bake it tonight before it becomes like the episode of "I Love Lucy" where her bread just kept coming and coming out of the oven!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:53 am

My husband makes sourdough bread every week. Sunday is bread day :-) Our starter is "home grown" and is now about 6 or 7 years old. My DH sent it in for a starter study by a university (? Cornell?) and it turns out that our starter has a lot of unusual strains, at least in that sample set.

Tonight it is a mushroom-lentil salad with strips of skirt steak. And bread.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 am

Tonight I'm roasting a free range, organic chicken with garlic, herbs and butter, with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts... comfort food for a bitterly cold night in the mountains (and a celebration of the fact that the parts came in and I have my oven door back on :))

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:32 am

Cranberry pear tart w/fresh whipped cream! Can't remember the rest, :D

cran pear tart.jpg
cran pear tart.jpg (224.75 KiB) Viewed 32922 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

I made a beef stew in the crockpot last night for today's lunches - yeah, I had a bowl for breakfast!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Gin and tonic

*clink*

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Wine. Power outages make me stressed. Wine it is.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Mine turned into wine also. The bar tab didn't extend to spirits.
They did feed us a lovely assortment of finger food too.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Going out to a fancy seafood restaurant tonight. I believe I'll have caramelized scallops.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Vegetarians? I've decided one of my (and hopefully DH!) make a difference behavior changes for the New Year will be eating veggie for ~4 days/week (thinking 2 meals + leftovers). Any pointers for good books and/or your favorite recipes? As I was thinking about posting this earlier today, I turned on the radio to the BBC and they were airing a story on environmental impact relative to this, interviewing the CEO of McDonald's, lol. Meant to be!! Anyway, bring them on, and help our family do something meaningful for us moving forward!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Koolkat wrote:Any pointers for good books and/or your favorite recipes?

What sort of foods do you tend towards?

I'm a huge fan of Yotam Ottolenghi (fairly intense for weeknight, but oh so good), Joshua McFadden, Madhur Jaffrey, Kenji López-Alt (Serious Eats), Daniel Gritzer (Serious Eats). And, then blogs: First Mess, Sprouted Kitchen, Naturally Ella, 101 Cookbooks, and Two Sleevers (Indian; mix of meat and vegetarian; we're a vegetarian household).

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:59 am

Many middle eastern and indian cuisines are built on vegetarian culture.

If you like the flavor profiles and have access to the ingredients I dont think you can go wrong.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm

This is another great resource for simple, delicious, vegetarian fare: https://www.homegrown-kitchen.co.nz/

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for all these great resources, it is fun, drool worthy reading. Narrowing down where to start is going to be a wonderful challenge! I like spicey food, in particular, so plenty to choose from and also like the fresh from the garden angle as we have a fairly large one in the summer.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:13 am

We're still eating cabbage from CSA, so I made this tonight. I did modify it a bit -- when don't I? No sage, so I used thyme and ended up adding a bit of smoked paprika too.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:05 pm

There's another one - Eleanor Orzich, Petite Kitchen. Her website appears to be down at the moment but if you google there is plenty online. Generally vegetarian or vegan, dairy, gluten and refined sugar free.
http://www.viva.co.nz/article/food-drin ... h-recipes/

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Oh and MyDarlingLemonThyme (dot com) is also amazing

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”