"What's for dinner?"

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 am

Mmmm. That corn chowder sounds yummy.

Cold beef and cauliflower cheese tonight!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:38 am

Forfar Bridies, our weekly "Outlander Dinner", which I was missing along with the show and the weather tonight is a bit Scottish :)
I make them with ground sirloin, and I cheat and use store bought puff pastry.

http://www.food.com/recipe/forfar-bridi ... ted-370004

After reading that chowder recipe I'm very sad that our corn season is over :(

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:54 pm

KathyK wrote:
CanadianTrotter wrote:Thanks calvin... I will look into those titles.

Tonight I had maple glazed turkey thigh with roasted potatoes and onions(in the same dish) with brussel sprouts on the side.

Try this one:

Crock Pot Turkey Thighs

2 or 3 turkey thighs, skin and excess fat removed
3 medium carrots, cut in 2” pieces
3 or 4 medium potatoes, cut in half
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 package onion soup mix

Sprinkle about 1/3 of the soup mix in the bottom of the crock pot. Place the meat on top, then the carrots and potatoes. Add the cranberry sauce, and sprinkle the rest of the soup mix on top. Cover and cool on low 7 to 8 hours.

Cranberry sauce and onion soup mix... that sounds interesting. I've written this down and will try it in the future.

I have cooked your Pushcart chicken a few times, my family and friends like it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks for reminding me to put Pushcart Chicken back I the rotation. :) I haven't made it in a while.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Well, I must know what Pushcart Chicken is. I've never heard of it before.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:29 pm

scruffy the cat wrote:M&M, I'd give you the recipe for Iced Pumpkin Bars but they're from the Moosewood Dessert Cookbook and I would be drawn and quartered if I posted copyrighted material. :roll:

Did you mean spiced pumpkin bars? I have that cookbook (you made me pull it out ;) ) and that's the only pumpkin bar listed.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:15 pm

I'm probably having leftover meatloaf and a steamed artichoke.

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Canyon wrote:I made Don Giovanni's Pad Thai last night. It was very good; I love the flavor of that sauce.

I had to substitute sunflower seed sprouts for the bean sprouts. The grocery store no longer stocks bean sprouts because of all the recalls :o . That was fine; the sunflower sprouts were pretty tasty!

Tonight is a soup or stew made with left-over roasted winter squash.

Glad you liked it. I thought it was really tasty - the sauce is awesome.
It's on my "what the heck am I going to make for supper tonight" list. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm going out so someone else is cooking for me tonight--luxury!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Well, I must know what Pushcart Chicken is. I've never heard of it before.

Pushcart Chicken
You may need a bit more oil than is called for to help along the second or third batch of chicken.

Spice Paste
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated onion
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken, combine the cumin, coriander, sweet and smoked paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cayenne, tomato paste, garlic, onion, and olive oil. Mix well.

CHICKEN
2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs,cut lengthwise into thirds
Juice of 4 limes
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil

Add the chicken pieces to the spice paste and stir well to coat. Cover and refrigerate, for at least 1 hour, or for up to 4 hours. About 30 minutes before you are ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator.

In a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken, mix the lime juice, salt, and sugar, stirring well to dissolve the salt and sugar.

In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Working in batches, cook the chicken, loosening and turning the pieces as they brown, for 3 to 4 minutes on a side. Transfer the cooked chicken to the lime juice mixture and toss to coat. Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken from the lime mixture and serve.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:45 pm

I made that Pushcart chicken last year from the recipe on old board, it was delish! Just built a chicken curry in the slow cooker, boneless chick thighs cauliflower crushed tomotoes, garlic ginger lemon juice and a bunch of spices. In a hurry so didn't blend the sauce as recipe called for but hoping it will all cook down. Then add some petit green peas later. From my only slow cooker book, "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker".this is a first try from this book other than pot roast so I'll see how it turns out.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm

I bought some chicken frames and will be making the corn chowder later (just as soon as I have a rest - feeling very flat today, damn concussion) as it sounds sooooo good. I will sub coconut milk for cream as there is an open tin in the fridge that needs using.

I put some beef stew on this morning. Beef, mustard, salt, pepper, a shake of chili flakes, one sliced onion and some water to cover. Oh and two sad looking tomatoes that were past their best and just begging to be stewed rather than eaten. Leftover roast veges will accompany the stew.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Quelah wrote:Did you mean spiced pumpkin bars? I have that cookbook (you made me pull it out ;) ) and that's the only pumpkin bar listed.

Yes, I meant those. But upthread I also mentioned that I cannot for the life of me follow a recipe as written, so mine have a simple icing and raisins added. I also double the recipe every time.

The Moosewood Dessert Cookebook, next to Richard Sax's "Classic Home Desserts", is the #1 favorite, most used, and most reliable cookbook on my shelf, and I have a ton of cookbooks.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:07 am

posted on wrong thread <sigh> the pleasures of aging...

I have a date tonight. That is I am meeting someone for dinner, not that I have a single fruit to eat. I figure that if it is at the brew pub if nothing else, at the very least, I'll be able to command the pool table.....

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:51 am

bascar wrote:posted on wrong thread <sigh>

We had you at "melted cheese" :lol:

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:23 am

bascar wrote:
It's a Rockabilly recipe

Well Fed Corn Chowder
3 slices applewood smoked bacon, diced
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups onion, diced
3 to 4 tbsp flour
4 cups fresh corn Kernels (Rockabilly notes: I used about 6 ears of fresh corn. Bascar notes: frozen works fine)
1 tsp fresh Thyme, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup cream
8 oz fingerling or new potatoes, sliced
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add butter and onion to drippings in pan and cook about 8 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add the flour and stir to coat the onions. Continue to cook until the flour has turned a pale golden color which should take about a minute or two. Add the corn, chopped thyme and garlic to pan and stir to combine. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Stir in broth, cream and potatoes.
Cover and crank heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and the broth has thickened, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the reserved crumbled bacon.

I skipped the bacon, but browned off three chicken frames then cooked them on low for a couple of hours to make stock.
Used some sliced sage instead of thyme, and a few more cloves of garlic.
Stripped the meat off the chicken and it will be returned to the pot before eating.
No potatoes because I can't be bothered peeling them...
Oh and coconut cream will go in rather than cream as there's half a tin in the fridge.

See, can't follow a recipe. :lol:

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Scruffy, that is so cool that you know about ratios! I used to get so upset with DH, telling him, "But you have to follow the recipe when you're baking." Nope. You don't. You just have to know about ratios!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:25 pm

I have a pot roast in the slow cooker for tonight, just in time for temps to drop and five days of wind and rain starting tonight.
It will be great tomorrow when I come home from the barn.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am

Grass fed t-bones with just salt, pepper and garlic. Spinach sauted with mushrooms and onion. Red potato salad with homemade habanero mayo, cumin and lime.

Day 4 of Whole30./ We'll see if I can keep this standard up for 26 more days.
Keep calm and canter on.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:54 am

I was kind of hating the slow cooker curry chicken last night after it was done,, just taste test. So I thinned it out with coconut milk tonight before I heated it up and it was quite tasty! Not a true curry taste tho. Have to find a better recipe.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 am

For us tonight Cider Braised Pork chops, steamed green beans and Kale salad. No dessert because I mowed today.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 am

Rockabilly wrote: No dessert because I mowed today.

Don't you just hate it when you chop down the rhubarb pies by mistake? :twisted:

Fennel and wild mushroom risotto here. I've never tried fennel in a risotto before - I added a tsp of Pernod to oooohmph the flavor - my my, it was absolutely stunning.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:20 pm

I start vacation today so there will be much eating out, mostly seafood as SO and I both grew up on the coast and we tend to over-indulge when given the opportunity to do so.
I believe we have tickets for the King's Feast at a Renn Fair with lots of yummy sounding things, especially the prime rib with potatoes and garlic truffle cream sauce. I'm fairly certain there may be a giant turkey leg in SO's future as well..lol.
We typically grill steaks one night and do a seafood boil one night as well. We hope to do some fishing where I'm told the flounder are running as well. Fresh flounder and blue crab sounds wonderful right about now!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Tonight's dinner will resemble baby food after oral surgery yesterday. I'm contemplating making a vegetarian split pea soup or dhal.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Eating out tonight on the way to see Paula Poundstone. Yippie!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:31 pm

I love Paula Poundstone on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I hope she's as good live!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 pm

She's even better live! This will be the fifth time we've gone to see her.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:02 am

Bacon and eggs, potato latkes, tinned tomatoes... breakfast for dinner :)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:47 am

westisbest wrote:I was kind of hating the slow cooker curry chicken last night after it was done,, just taste test. So I thinned it out with coconut milk tonight before I heated it up and it was quite tasty! Not a true curry taste tho. Have to find a better recipe.

Double or triple the suggested amount of spices. Trust me on this.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:43 pm

silk wrote:
westisbest wrote:I was kind of hating the slow cooker curry chicken last night after it was done,, just taste test. So I thinned it out with coconut milk tonight before I heated it up and it was quite tasty! Not a true curry taste tho. Have to find a better recipe.

No that wouldn't work if it's the wrong combo of spices. I'm pretty up on authentic E. Indian food and have a ton of spices which I generally grind in a mortar and pestle. This wasn't a "true" curry as it had paprika, I put in hot Hungarian :).. that threw off the combo. I'll stick to my E. Indian slow cooker book next time.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:35 pm

I am having garlicky chicken thighs with lemon anchovy sauce a la a NYT recipe. I love anchovies, capers and garlic!
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015 ... hovy-sauce

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:38 pm

New York Super Fudge Chunk

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:56 pm

westisbest wrote:
silk wrote:

No that wouldn't work if it's the wrong combo of spices. I'm pretty up on authentic E. Indian food and have a ton of spices which I generally grind in a mortar and pestle. This wasn't a "true" curry as it had paprika, I put in hot Hungarian :).. that threw off the combo. I'll stick to my E. Indian slow cooker book next time.

Damn, I see the problem. Usually I increase the spice amount suggested to get a decent flavour that isn't subtle and washed-out. But if it's not the right mix then it won't work.

Beef stew, roast root vegetables (maybe I'll be inspired enough to turn them into potato salad) and fresh asparagus (grown locally) is likely to be on our table tonight.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Mirabella wrote:I am having garlicky chicken thighs with lemon anchovy sauce a la a NYT recipe. I love anchovies, capers and garlic!

That sounds very good - but let me know if the garlic burns when you cook the chicken - seems like a long time to be frying garlic...

I'm having classic cumin lamb and potato curry tonight.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Well, y'all might be surprised, but I am not cooking at all tonight. Doctor appointment in Nashville and a trip to Costco did us in!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:58 am

Fish pie. Mix of cod, scallops and salmon. Jolly good!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I cooked three small frozen chicken breast halves and a jar of tomatillo salsa in the little crock pot on low for six hours. I removed the meat and while it was cooling I sautéed some onion and red bell pepper. I pulled the chicken into smaller pieces with forks, put some on a whole wheat tortilla, then a layer of the sautéed vegetables, fresh chopped cilantro, then some canned pinto beans, and a bit of the sauce from cooking the chicken. I rolled it up into a burrito and heated it in a very lightly oiled pan until the tortilla was browned and crisp. It was good!

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:15 am

I had grilled cheese (thanks to the grilled cheese thread :lol: ). I made it with buttered bread, shredded habanero cheddar cheese and threw a slice of chicken in with it. It was yummy!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 am

I want more corn chowder. It was so good.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm

bascar wrote:
Mirabella wrote:I am having garlicky chicken thighs with lemon anchovy sauce a la a NYT recipe. I love anchovies, capers and garlic!

That sounds very good - but let me know if the garlic burns when you cook the chicken - seems like a long time to be frying garlic...

I'm having classic cumin lamb and potato curry tonight.

I cook anchovies with the garlic until anchovies melt and then remove all of it from the pan. I cook the chicken and then add anchovy/garlic mixture back into pan

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Apple & walnut stuffed pork chops tonight. And homemade apple pie for dessert (my first try at the crust and I'm not a baker so it'll be interesting).
Picked the apples the horses missed from the trees in the orchard. Don't have enough to make apple sauce thanks to the little greedy stinkers but too many to let sit around.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Pizza again, with homemade crusts out of the freezer topped with chopped black olives, ground up stewed tomatoes, and sharp cheddar (because that's what I had).

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:28 pm

Avola wrote:
Sweet and Spicy Brisket in the slow cooker - brisket with dried figs/apricots/carrots/onion with chicken stock + 2 T of harissa paste
Just a simple cous cous for accompaniment
Brownies/ice cream for dessert

Oh my that sounds absolutely delicious

I've used anywhere from 2-3 pounds of brisket here - and just add 1 teaspoon of crumbled thyme, vs. the removed sprigs. Most of the liquid is generated by the meat, the veg and fruit in it are superb. And amazingly easy!

Or were you talking about the brownies? :)

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:45 pm

Koolkat wrote:Or were you talking about the brownies? :)

Oh heck no! Give me the meat! :)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks!

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:04 am

Ok, I'm pushing it here re high jacking threads, but can I ask does anyone have a good recipe for beef short ribs?
Thanks in advance
sign me thread high jacker!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 am

bailey wrote:Ok, I'm pushing it here re high jacking threads, but can I ask does anyone have a good recipe for beef short ribs?
Thanks in advance
sign me thread high jacker!

There is no hijacking on a what's for dinner thread!!! (and by that I mean, hijack away!) :mrgreen:

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Mirabella wrote:I cook anchovies with the garlic until anchovies melt and then remove all of it from the pan. I cook the chicken and then add anchovy/garlic mixture back into pan

Good call.

I'm having panfried chicken with orange and black olives tonight - a recipe from Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food. Ribbon noodles alongside. Maybe I'll finally get my act together today to make soda bread.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:22 pm

I made a mexican style black bean stew (chili?) with homemade biscuits. It was fabulous. Very simple but so yummy on a cold, rainy day.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”