"What's for dinner?"

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby KathyK » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Bugs-n-Frodo wrote:OK, so maybe tonight we will have the carne asada tacos, we didn't get past the chips and salsa last night. My appetite is not good these days.

Are you ok?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Beans cooked with a ham bone, black olives, cheese, lettuce, tomato, on a flour tortilla. I've really been into egg custard with maple syrup lately, so made some in the cooker thing that shall not be mentioned for dessert. The texture is iffy, but it tastes just as good as baked.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm

KathyK wrote:
Bugs-n-Frodo wrote:OK, so maybe tonight we will have the carne asada tacos, we didn't get past the chips and salsa last night. My appetite is not good these days.

Are you ok?

I may have her confused with someone else and if so, please forgive me, but I believe she's having a baby. :)

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:45 pm

I am making these:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016974-hasselback-potatoes-with-garlic-paprika-oil

They smell divine. I'll let you know how they taste!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm

I'm tired and not up to much cooking tonight. Only had a baked potatoe last night for dinner.. with butter and sour cream so not a diet meal. Have lots of left over grilled flank steak that was marinated in garlic, ginger soy sauce...I'll cut that in strips heat in the micro, sautee sweet red shepherd peppers and red onions, top with cilantro, some sour cream with chipotle hot sauce in a flour tortilla.. or two.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm learning how to cook chinese. Tonight I made a delicious shrimp fried rice.

Spotted at X
Greenie

Postby Spotted at X » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:06 am

Portobello mushrooms stuffed with wild rice, mozzarella ans asagio cheese, onions, diced red peppers, and baby portobellos (diced up cause we love mushrooms!)

And oven roasted asparagus.

It's a vegetarian night.
Leopard and Spot fanatic! :mrgreen:

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:22 am

paownyc wrote:Sauteed red cabbage with ginger. Fried green tomatoes. Grass fed New York Strip steaks. Mushrooms sauteed in butter and sherry. All accompanied by a nice North Coast Pinot Noir. I can barely move...

Heaven on a plate. It's not just our G boys that we have in common :)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Greenie

Postby Bugs-n-Frodo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:26 am

KathyK wrote:

Are you ok?

I am pregnant, not so great for my appetite.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:18 am

Ooooh, bugs, how far along are you? Congratulations!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:10 am

So Quinta, how were the potatoes?

paownyc
Greenie

Postby paownyc » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:16 am

westisbest wrote:
paownyc wrote:Sauteed red cabbage with ginger. Fried green tomatoes. Grass fed New York Strip steaks. Mushrooms sauteed in butter and sherry. All accompanied by a nice North Coast Pinot Noir. I can barely move...

Heaven on a plate. It's not just our G boys that we have in common :)

It was heavenly!

Tonight... Just popcorn and fruit. Not so exciting. I had a 5.5 hour drive from NYC up to camp. Had no energy to make dinner.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:38 am

Chicken Panang curry with pepper, eggplant and tomatoes from the garden over Basmati rice.
Keep calm and canter on.

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:28 am

Bugs-n-Frodo wrote:Carne Asada tacos and chips and salsa. Not Margaritas, I am Prego.

Congratulations!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:21 pm

Bugs-n-Frodo wrote:Carne Asada tacos and chips and salsa. Not Margaritas, I am Prego.

Obviously I missed this. I hope you're feeling better soon and can enjoy your pregnancy. Does that happen? :lol:

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Last night, I had Bush's baked beans with sliced Hillshire Farm Cheddar Wurst sausage.

Let's just say that I'm here to represent the white-trash culinary contingent. I've noticed that it was missing and thought someone should speak up. :lol:

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:32 pm

onetrickpony wrote:Last night, I had Bush's baked beans with sliced Hillshire Farm Cheddar Wurst sausage.

Let's just say that I'm here to represent the white-trash culinary contingent. I've noticed that it was missing and thought someone should speak up. :lol:

I can help with that, as I just had ham salad and tomatoes on white bread. The celery and tomatoes were fresh from the garden, though.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Ok I need some good crock pot recipes if anyone cares to share. We do the typical beef roast with veggies, would love some new and tasty dinners that can be ready when I get back from PM chores.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:48 pm

onetrickpony wrote:Last night, I had Bush's baked beans with sliced Hillshire Farm Cheddar Wurst sausage.

like.png
like.png (31.95 KiB) Viewed 43146 times

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm

I had a cooked chicken breast half in the fridge so last night I heated some full-flavored olive oil, gently sautéed minced garlic, added the chicken breast and some sliced mushrooms. When the chicken was heated through and a little browned I added capers, fresh basil, and a splash of lemon juice. It was good.

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Full blown thanksgiving tonight. We work shift so we're a few days late. Turkey is in the smoker, scalloped pot., roasted beets with fresh thyme, italian sausage wild rice dressing, german apple pie with pecan crust (i'm celiac), and i've just had a request for homemade nutmeg ice cream so it will go on the warm pie. The usual fixin's-giblet gravy, cran sauce and a bottle of wine.

I should be in a stupor for about 24 hrs after this! Beautiful sunny fall day here i think i'd better go for a walk before the eating begins!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Whoa, that's a Thanksgiving dinner, all right. Happy Thanksgiving to you, and a belated happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 pm

I'll join you. Just last night I drove through Whataburger, ordered 2 large fries, went home, heated up a can of chili and put chili and cheese over the fries. My disabled brother who lives with me kept commenting on how good it was..lol. I wasn't in the mood for cooking and I knew he would love it. ;)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:I'll join you. Just last night I drove through Whataburger, ordered 2 large fries, went home, heated up a can of chili and put chili and cheese over the fries. My disabled brother who lives with me kept commenting on how good it was..lol. I wasn't in the mood for cooking and I knew he would love it. ;)

RTR, I'm disappointed you didn't invite me. Sounds very trashy and right up my ally. Love chili cheese fries when the cheese is real and not that nasty plastic stuff :)

Eating a Del Taco taco salad at the moment. It must be healthy as it has lettuce and ago in it, isn't it? :D

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Moutaineer wrote:So Quinta, how were the potatoes?

Very tasty. I would make them again.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Greenie

Postby Bugs-n-Frodo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Snork wrote:Ooooh, bugs, how far along are you? Congratulations!

15 weeks tomorrow. Not so nauseous anymore but I just have no appetite. Thank you! We are thrilled!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:I'll join you. Just last night I drove through Whataburger, ordered 2 large fries, went home, heated up a can of chili and put chili and cheese over the fries. My disabled brother who lives with me kept commenting on how good it was..lol. I wasn't in the mood for cooking and I knew he would love it. ;)

RTR, I'm disappointed you didn't invite me. Sounds very trashy and right up my ally. Love chili cheese fries when the cheese is real and not that nasty plastic stuff :)

Eating a Del Taco taco salad at the moment. It must be healthy as it has lettuce and ago in it, isn't it? :D

Oh yes, there is no fake cheese allowed into my house. If it's there, my mother smuggled it in. I'm not exactly in an area that gets much of a selection of cheese but I can at least get Tillamook, so if you can deal with Tillamook, you are invited. :) I love their smokey pepper on hamburgers.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 pm

Mashed potatoes, and apple pie (kinda) for dessert.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:55 pm

Tillamook I can do... it's just that nasty plastic cheese that seems to end up on nachos and chili dogs and chili fries I can't do.

And right about now I'm ready for mashed 'tatos and kinda apple pie - I don't know the max file size for a photo and LR is not happy with me as I am now trying to create files that won't hold everything I am asking for - don't know, for small web pictures, how many pixels/inch to do :)

Got 4 photos that I still haven't managed to upload successfully :(

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Isn't 72 dpi for the web? I haven't tried it here yet, but that's what upload them as for Facebook.

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:41 pm

My favourite thread!!
Our house is still recovering from Thanksgiving and I've got a lung crud so not much energy.
Sunday was Turkey, rice/wild rice/sausage/mushroom stuffing, gravy with caramelized onions, turnip puff, corn, mashed potatoes, salad and pumpkin pie for dessert. Tuesday was Turkey pot pie with puff pastry crust (so good!). Yesterday my eight year old nephew chose pizza and ice cream cake for his birthday dinner. Tonight was spaghetti & meatballs because I feel like death warmed over and sound tubercular...

mzloolue
Greenie

Postby mzloolue » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Snow Peas Chicken with steamed white rice!

Yay!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:45 am

Sausages, taters, mess o'greens, eventually. Rode this evening, so here it is 8.45 and I'm just cooking now...

Bugs-n-Frodo
Greenie

Postby Bugs-n-Frodo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 am

A kind of taco salad... Is there a theme here?

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 am

khall wrote:Ok I need some good crock pot recipes if anyone cares to share. We do the typical beef roast with veggies, would love some new and tasty dinners that can be ready when I get back from PM chores.

I've had to use the crockpot all summer and these are my two favorites.

Poultry with spinach and mushrooms and a hunk of herbed cream cheese----all frozen at 6 am and ready at 4pm.
Pork with tomatillos and garlic -- tomatillos take a few minutes to prepare so I make this when I have extra prep time.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Last night I made a big pot of chili con carne to use up some of the oversupply of my garden tomatoes, jalapenos and green chiles. It is tasty!

For the crockpot - chop some onions and garlic, add some country-style pork ribs (you can get rid of some of the fat by parboiling them in a big pot of water first), add Sweet Bay Ray's barbeque sauce with some water to cover, and let that cook away all day. Add more water as needed if sauce gets too thick. Mmm, mmm - good enough to cause a heart attack!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:17 pm

I like the sounds of this and love Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauces :)

When the weather is a bit more "crockpot-able" I'll have to give it a try :)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:13 pm

I am going to make Ina Garten's Beef Bourginon when it's gets a little colder. It looks and sounds delciious and her recipes always start with "good olive oil".

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:18 pm

Good old fashioned Shepherd's pie.. using a Rachel Ray recipe. lots of carrots, onions and celery in, grated cheddar on top of the mashed taters. A big leafy salad with raspberry vinaigrette. Made cream fudge the other day so a couple of pieces of that later.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 am

How funny, West. I'm making shepherds pie this evening too, for the first time in ages. I found some ground lamb so it should be yummy.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:36 am

You guys are way too energetic for me - please move to Phoenix and ask me over :D

Probably chicken ramen (blush)...

Moonshine
Greenie

Postby Moonshine » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 am

Reuben Sandwich! I always forget how good those are. Half corned beef, half pastrami.

My brother shames me. They mill their own rye into flour for their bread, make their own corned beef, and use their own sauerkraut they pickled this summer. But even with Pepperidge farm rye bread and deli meat, it was YUM (and about 14 hours less work!)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Greenie

Postby Bugs-n-Frodo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 pm

westisbest wrote:Good old fashioned Shepherd's pie.. using a Rachel Ray recipe. lots of carrots, onions and celery in, grated cheddar on top of the mashed taters. A big leafy salad with raspberry vinaigrette. Made cream fudge the other day so a couple of pieces of that later.

Sounds delish!! I love Shepherds Pie!

Last night I had nothing but a tummy ache! I am hoping Mark and I go out tonight. He needs a decent meal! Poor guy. LOL

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I am going to make Ina Garten's Beef Bourginon when it's gets a little colder. It looks and sounds delciious and her recipes always start with "good olive oil".

I still have this on my list as well.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:32 am

Roast beef, roast potatoes, brussells sprouts, gravy. Blackberry and apple crumble for desert. Which has apparently overflowed it's dish according to the smoke and smell coming from my oven...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:19 am

Lamb chops! I've been waiting for DH to go out of town so I could have the last packet of two little chops from the 4-H lamb we bought last year all to myself. Along with it I'm planning to have some sauteed onions, spinach and homegrown baked acorn squash.
Keep calm and canter on.

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:29 am

Good old fashioned beef stew to celebrate the first somewhat chilly night we had in months. Except for the beef, everything else is home grown.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Greenie

Postby Bugs-n-Frodo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:48 am

Brats and Kraut :) Went to our local Octoberfest. We are going back next year when I can enjoy a beer too! LOL

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Moonshine wrote:Reuben Sandwich! I always forget how good those are. Half corned beef, half pastrami.

My brother shames me. They mill their own rye into flour for their bread, make their own corned beef, and use their own sauerkraut they pickled this summer. But even with Pepperidge farm rye bread and deli meat, it was YUM (and about 14 hours less work!)

Wow! that's wild!! Good for them, and I'll bet their sandwich is amazing :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm

I'm not a huge crockpot fan but I am buying one specifically to make this dish:

http://life-in-the-lofthouse.com/crock- ... n-chicken/

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”