"What's for dinner?"

silk
500 post plus club

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby silk » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Something called Nutty Chicken (I'm not cooking - our boarder/flatmate's daughter is visiting and so she's cooking one of the favourite dinners).
I also just put some quinces on the stove to stew, so I think I'll be having those for dessert (boarder also made chocolate brownie, but I don't eat sugar).

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:26 am

We are winning at dinner this week. Tonight was chicken roasted with pesto and garlic under the skin, roasted beet salad with lemon zest, pecans and gorgonzola, and a kale and chard green soup.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:18 am

Nothing...big fat nothing.
Last night I grilled some salmon to bring to work tonight. Dusted with some maple seasoning. Smelled great. Going to have with a big salad. Then I got up this morning to find I left the salmon out on the counter alllll night. Apparently I like throwing money away :cry: :twisted: .

Ended up eating at work. A naked (no bun) sauted onion/mushroom burger with steamed beans. Not bad but not what I had planned.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:46 am

Dang. Ruined salmon makes me sad.

Tonight: big salad, Rosemary roasted leg of lamb with a balsamic/red wine reduction and smashed Gorgonzola Yukon Gold taters and a nice Crispin hard cider.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:29 am

Tonight I whipped something up after squeezing in a ride after work... Decided I wanted rice. Put that on to cook with a little salt, a shake of chili flakes and 50/50 stock and water.
While rice was cooking, I stripped the meat off the two chicken frames I'd put in the pressure cooker to make into stock before my ride, chopped up half a leftover zucchini, a few tomatoes, a handful of basil (all grown here) and half a chili (grown by my friend).
When the rice was done (can't say I timed it... just took off the lid and it looked perfect!), I threw the veges in with the rice, stirred it, eyeballed it, tasted it, added a bit more water then let it steam for a couple of minutes. A little salt & pepper to serve (would be equally nice with a bit of parmesan or similar), utterly DELICIOUS!
Only 15 mins start to finish, and I get to have the leftovers for lunch :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:53 am

Made a stew in the Instant Pot tonight with sweet potato, collards, andouille sausage, coconut milk and all kinds of crazy spices. Had homemade cornbread on the side. Yum.
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:31 am

Rockabilly's Lemon Butter Chicken from previous page with asparagus/lemon, a bit of fettuccine/parm, and chardonnay. It was splendid! Highly recommended.

20160328_212838 (640x360).jpg
20160328_212838 (640x360).jpg (185.53 KiB) Viewed 29827 times

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:03 pm

It's cold out and I work in a ginormous portacom (which acts like a large ice box on frosty/cold days). I have a hankering for the sweetcorn chowder, which I think is also one of Rockabilly's recipes, and even made chicken stock two nights ago in preparation. Alas, tonight I am dinnering with a friend, so she'll cook something for us. Chowder tomorrow!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:40 am

Tonight: chili and lime pizza (nom nom nom) because I forgot to take my lunch to work and had to buy it, so lunch becomes dinner :lol: Plus, I am the only one home tonight as mum and our boarder are going out to a concert (or maybe a movie?).

I DID start a pot of corn chowder, with a few twists... Half a green chili (seeds and all) - chopped, basil instead of sage, and two small sweet potatoes, chopped into chunks, have gone into the mix. I may add some diced chicken to cook through before we eat it (tomorrow).

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:01 pm

It's quite chilly here so tonight will be homemade chicken and wild rice soup and a nice salad.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Koolkat, why did you not invite me for dinner Wednesday????

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:55 pm

PaulaO wrote:Koolkat, why did you not invite me for dinner Wednesday????

I think we should all go to Rockabilly's! You know it's going to be good! Have you tried her chocolate bourbon pecan pie?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:32 am

Corn chowder with twists was delicious. Quite a nice spicy kick from the chili and very filling even though I didn't add the chicken in the end.

I therefore needed to cook the chicken so made a sort of cross of green thai curry with some red chilli and extra spices, chicken and sweet potato chunks. I've also put on a large pot of pork, paprika/chili/tomato stew for tomorrow. Only rice/potatoes to cook and some vegetables on the side, and dinners and lunches for at least 3 days will be complete.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Koolkat wrote:
PaulaO wrote:Koolkat, why did you not invite me for dinner Wednesday????

I think we should all go to Rockabilly's! You know it's going to be good! Have you tried her chocolate bourbon pecan pie?

Thank You!! I would love to invite you to dinner because I'm always trying to think of something delicious to make. Tonight we are having steak fajitas.
I've been marinating the steak all day and for our breakfast in the morning I have cinnamon rolls rising this very minute. I made them a little different this time using a brioche dough for the rolls. I hope they turn out good!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:36 am

Friday night was a cooked-from-scratch red Thai curry (with chicken). Amazing. Cooked with way more care and attention than I'd give it ;) and had a lovely kick from the sambal olek chili.
Then, I missed out on 5-hour slow roasted lamb shoulder on Saturday. As it only went into the oven around 5 or 6pm, at about 9pm we bailed across the road to a Mexican place (which was lovely, by the way!).
Sunday was steak (home-kill beef, lovely thick slices of really tender meat which are fab to cook) with butternut pumpkin, potatoes and vegetables, followed up with a feijoa and pecan cake.

Lunch today was steak leftovers ;)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Venison something amazing last night - went out for dinner with a few people from work. Followed by a chocolate brownie ice cream sandwich with chocolate mousse on the side (I am a total sucker for mousse).

Tonight: a tomato sauce with chunks of zuc, sliced onion and smashed garlic, with chunks of chicken breast. Probably served with potatoes.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:36 pm

I took out some ground beef last night.

Going to fry it in grape seed oil with garlic and oregano. I will put on a pot of macaroni and when both are done, I will drain the mac and chuck it into the ground beef and mix it all up and let sit on low for a minute or two.

I don't eat dairy, but after I grab what I want from the pan, I throw shredded cheese on top and put the lid on, and let it melt and then serve it to the rest of the famjam.

I generally add salsa in mine though. The cold salsa on the hot food seems to go well. Now I am hungry.

But I just read about some salmon... now I need to get some salmon....

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Steak, steak, steak, from 'El Sizzling Chorizo' :mrgreen:

BBQ tomorrow (I am fairly sure I'm 'crashing' my bf's friend's bbq, rather than going home for dinner - I believe he's asked to bring me but I suggested we just turn up as they're unlikely to refuse to have me stay :lol: )

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:03 pm

We're doing chicken fajitas tonight.

Yesterday, on the drive home from Reno we stopped at The Tortilla Factory in Winnemucca, NV and picked up three kinds of salsa and a stack of freshly made cactus-corn tortillas (don't know what makes them cactus, but they have a green tinge). Lately I've had an obsession with making black pot beans enriched with chiles and lard. The chicken is kind of beside the point.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:30 pm

Sounds delicious. We had broccoli and beef stir fry with rice.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 am

I've put a whole chicken in the pot to slow cook with onion, ginger, garlic, Chinese five spice, a cinnamon stick, some soy and oyster sauce, and half a chili (chopped finely). That's tomorrow's meal and I'm very keen to see how it turns out! Will serve with rice.

Tonight is a bit more simple, steak with potatoes, sweet potatoes and steamed mixed vege.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun May 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Smoked tri-tip with smoked salsa and smoked French bread. Last time we made it, everything was delicious!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 02, 2016 2:58 am

More pot beans, salsa and tortillas, but with slow cooker carnitas tonight, and first salad of the year from the garden.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon May 02, 2016 10:41 pm

silk wrote:I've put a whole chicken in the pot to slow cook with onion, ginger, garlic, Chinese five spice, a cinnamon stick, some soy and oyster sauce, and half a chili (chopped finely). That's tomorrow's meal and I'm very keen to see how it turns out! Will serve with rice.

This was AMAZING. the lick-the-plate-clean kind of good :mrgreen:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu May 05, 2016 5:03 pm

silk wrote:
silk wrote:I've put a whole chicken in the pot to slow cook with onion, ginger, garlic, Chinese five spice, a cinnamon stick, some soy and oyster sauce, and half a chili (chopped finely). That's tomorrow's meal and I'm very keen to see how it turns out! Will serve with rice.

Silk, compared to your cooking I am downright ordinary. Tonight's dinner is Pasta Primavera. I have everything fresh I need except for mushrooms.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 am

Rockabilly wrote:
silk wrote:

Silk, compared to your cooking I am downright ordinary. Tonight's dinner is Pasta Primavera. I have everything fresh I need except for mushrooms.

It's just spice combos... No fancy prep or skills required to make it all happen. I browned the onions over a medium heat, added garlic/ginger for a bit, removed, turned up the heat and threw the chicken in to brown, sprinkled "enough" five spice powder on, turned the chicken, decided more five spice was in order, put the onion mix in, a bit of hot water, a splosh each of oyster and soy sauce, then lid on and left it to cook itself on low for a looooong time 8-)

This weekend I have to cook a goat curry for our curry competition... I still don't know what kind of curry I'm making!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 14, 2016 4:52 pm

Tonight I'm doing a ground beef and coconut curry with a jicama slaw on the side - probably an Asian type dressing to pair with the curry. Might do some cauliflower rice too, if I get ambitious.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat May 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Tonight it will be stir fried shrimp with snow peas and red bell pepper in hot and sour sauce.

A few nights ago we had rice bowls with black beans and crisp vegetables on top, but what was outstanding about this dish was the cilantro lime cream sauce I made for it. Delicious!

Don Giovanni
Novice

Postby Don Giovanni » Wed May 25, 2016 1:30 pm

Last night I was going to make dinner for a friend who recently had surgery. I had just started when she texted me and asked to postpone (long story..) so - we had a delicious supper! :D
I made salmon with gremolata breadcrumbs on top, asparagus roasted with some garlicky olive oil and a really nice slightly lemony pasta. Served with a nice glass of wine = yum.
20160524_180616.jpg
20160524_180616.jpg (11.47 KiB) Viewed 29411 times

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu May 26, 2016 2:12 am

Strawberry fool followed by deviled eggs.

CSA inundated us with strawberries this week -- 3 pints this week.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am

Roast veges (potatoes, 2 types of sweet potatoes, carrots, beets), and roast chicken (I bought a whole chicken and chopped it into smaller pieces as it was far better value for money) that I put on top of a mix of feijoas ('pineapple guavas'), diced onion, half a chili and some cloves of garlic (diced) and a bit of salt & pepper. Oh, plus a salad of red cabbage and grated carrot which I think needed 'something' (maybe sliced red onion).

I have two large chicken breasts left for cooking tomorrow, plus plenty of leftovers.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Sat May 28, 2016 1:42 am

Does anyone have a good recipe for chili relleno?
thanks,

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 29, 2016 5:24 pm

I had blood work done last week and my glucose level is a leetle bit high. 105. Doctor wants me to cut back on carbs so tonight is crab claws and a wedge salad. Yum.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun May 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Tonight is grilled hamburgers and fresh lettuce from the garden and no garden tomatoes. Dessert is a lemon cheesecake with lemon curd on top that I made yesterday.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 30, 2016 2:28 am

We did ribs smoked over charcoal today and finished with a homemade chipotle bbq sauce. Collard greens braised with beer and bacon grease, and a pan of homemade cornbread with butter on the side. Sooo good.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 30, 2016 3:33 am

lamb chops, ratatouille, creamed potatoes.

The lamb chops were disappointing.

Tomorrow, I have a duck. Roasted, probably. I was pondering firing up the smoker, but it's going to rain, so it might be better to just sling it in the oven for a couple of hours.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 30, 2016 4:56 pm

Today is oven cooked ribs and asparagus. That's my mid-day meal. I have my volunteer gig tonight so I will have chicken meatballs and 7 layer salad when I get home.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Tonight we're having French toast with fresh from the field strawberries and whipped cream. Last night we had eggs Benedict. It's apparently a breakfast for dinner weekend ;)

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Oh, and could someone (Bascar?) post Sparkleby's Bombay chicken recipe? Thank you thank you :)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue May 31, 2016 2:19 am

Quelah - that recipe wasn't included in the 2009 UDBB cookbook. Sparkleby did contribute recipes for Black Bean Chicken Stir Fry and Chicken with Shallots & Mustard, among others.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue May 31, 2016 9:51 pm

Here's Jamie Oliver's Bombay Chicken...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... y-chicken/

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Tonight will be fresh vegetables from the garden. Squash casserole ( an old southern thing), broccoli, cauliflower, fresh lettuce, roasted beets and a cabbage I haven't figured out what to do with. Dessert is fresh strawberry pie. I make my own crust because I can't stand the store bought ones. Strawberries from my Amish neighbor and I make the strawberry filling from fresh strawberries.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:31 am

I have a spatchcocked chicken, marinated in white wine, lemon juice and herbs, on the grill, and some little red skinned potatoes on the stove, and I'm about to put on some baby bok choi which I will do with garlic and fresh ginger.

Debating what to do with some past their peak raspberries and blueberries--maybe a quick fruit crisp is in order?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 am

Rockabilly's chicken sweetcorn chowder, followed by a Shepherd's pie (made with beef, not lamb though) and steamed vege, then an absolutely delicious pumpkin pie (with walnuts instead of pecans).

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Tonight will be mashed new potatoes, fresh steamed green beans (just picked), lettuce (just picked) with homemade dressing and homemade yeast rolls. Dessert is carmelized chocolate chip cookies which are baking as I type.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Last night, chicken curry, rice, and cauliflower cheese (with some carrots, too). So good, it was cold and foggy and thus lovely to have piping hot food from the oven.
Tonight, mystery, our 'flatmates' are cooking. It'll be good!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:13 am

My hopes of pesto were thwarted by less than edible basil, which I discovered after starting the pasta. The make shift replacement is sautéed kale tossed with leftover peanut sauce over pasta, all topped with a poached egg. So far, so good.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I have a spatchcocked chicken, marinated in white wine, lemon juice and herbs, on the grill, and some little red skinned potatoes on the stove, and I'm about to put on some baby bok choi which I will do with garlic and fresh ginger.

Debating what to do with some past their peak raspberries and blueberries--maybe a quick fruit crisp is in order?

Oh, this sounds so good! And "spatchcocked" is just fun to say. :D

Heddylamar: was the basil bitter? I've discovered that dried tomatoes work really well for counteracting a bitter pesto.

We've spent a few nights in a row eating pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce mixed in, a big pot of beans, jicama slaw, guacamole and homemade corn tortillas since I just got a beautiful, handmade hardwood tortilla press. Tonight will be more of the pork and beans, but moving on to green salad.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:16 pm

The fresh basil had turned black and slimy.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:50 am

heddylamar wrote:The fresh basil had turned black and slimy.

Well in that case... :?

Made a weird curry tonight - ground beef, some green curry paste, mustard and black cumin seeds, coconut milk, turmeric, garlic and ginger, pureed spinach and tomatoes. Roasted cauliflower on the side. Looks awful but tasted great.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”