"What's for dinner?"

Snork
Herd Member

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:58 pm

I made smoked whitefish dauphinoise from a cookbook long ago recommended by our very own bascar (where IS bascar, after all - anyone knows?) and it was amazing. Unfortunately, my 6 and 8 year old's weren't of the same opinion but just as well - more for me and the husband.

I refuse to acknowledge that it contained two pounds of potatoes, a pound of smoked whitefish and three cups of heavy cream :lol:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm more shocked that the girls are 6 and 8 years old than I am about the amount of heavy cream in your recipe.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:57 pm

Snork wrote:I refuse to acknowledge that it contained two pounds of potatoes, a pound of smoked whitefish and three cups of heavy cream :lol:

Apart from the fishy aspect (I don't do fish), this sounds like my idea of heaven!! [As an aside, I haven't seen Bascar for a while.]

Tonight I'm having dinner with my aunt and uncle so I don't know what I'm eating. Most likely bbq chicken with roasted potatoes, salad, and apple crumble ("crisp") for dessert... I shall report back!

Tomorrow, I will need to cook. I have a bottle of cream that I opened to have with some home-grown strawberries on Sunday night, and now needs using. Perhaps I need to make sure there are potatoes, also :D
I will have to ferret around in the freezer for meat to accompany them (I have one tiny drawer in my flat's freezer which doesn't fit much, and is crammed full, so I should probably eat something out of it rather than go to the supermarket!).

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:09 am

Rockabilly wrote:I have chicken thighs marinating in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and country digon mustard. Later today I will put them on a foil lined tray with cut up sweet potatoes, onions and brussels sprouts. I will roast all together on the tray for about 40 minutes basting every once in a while. It is a delicious and quick dinner.

I'm going to make this tomorrow it sounds so yummy. I'm assuming boneless thighs.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:21 am

Yes, boneless thighs. You marinate for an hour or overnight whichever suits you. Would you like the exact recipe?

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:32 am

Rockabilly wrote:Yes, boneless thighs. You marinate for an hour or overnight whichever suits you. Would you like the exact recipe?

Yes please! It's been arctic stupid cold here for a week. Made a lasagne but that's done so am looking forward to this for tomorrow after riding.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:11 am

Steak with garlic bread and mixed vegetables (onion, cabbage, bok choy). Then, because I needed celebration cake, I baked a version of my favourite dark chocolate cake, with blueberries. Today I put an offer in on a house which was accepted... WOOHOO! I'll take the cake to work tomorrow, but there was enough batter to make 12 muffins, that my flatmates and I started eating straight out of the oven, still piping hot. Yum!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips and Shallots

3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbs. whole-grain Dijon mustard
1-1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
8 chicken thighs (about 6 oz. each), trimmed of excess fat and skin
1 medium-large (12 oz.) sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 medium parsnips (6 oz. total), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 small shallots, lobes separated, peeled and halved through the root end
3 strips bacon
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Stir together the oil, mustard, vinegar, 1/4 tsp. of the salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.

Heat the oven to 425°F.

Arrange the chicken skin side up on one end of a large rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with any remaining marinade. At the other end of the baking sheet, toss together the sweet potato, parsnips, shallots, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Spread into a single layer. Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables lightly with a little more salt and roast for 20 min. Baste the chicken with the pan juices using a brush and stir the vegetables. Continue to roast, basting and stirring every 10 min., until the chicken is burnished—deeply browned—and the vegetables are tender, about 30 min. more.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until crisp, 5 to 8 min. Drain the bacon on paper towels. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it and toss with the parsley.

When the chicken is done, stir the vegetables and transfer them to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon. Toss with half of the bacon mixture. Baste the chicken and transfer with tongs to a serving platter. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon mixture, and serve hot.

Make Ahead Tips
For this recipe, you can marinate the chicken as soon as you get home from work and cook it in an hour or two. Or you can toss all the ingredients together quickly in the morning and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator all day. The recipes say to turn the chicken occasionally, but if you're not home during the day, don't worry about that.

This is such an easygoing recipe that you can change vegetables and marinating time to suit yourself. I use boneless skinless thighs and it still comes out perfect. I don't see the point of the bacon because it is already so good that I've never needed it. It looks much more impressive than the time it takes to make it.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:36 pm

Thx so much, I'll skip the bacon as well. :)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 pm

The weather has been strangely raw, for the desert; good soups seem necessary for dinner. Last night was butternut squash soup with ginger. I roasted/carmelized the onion and garlic with the squash before pureeing with the chicken broth.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:51 pm

After the longest stretch of bitter cold here in 20 yrs! finally a west wind chinook today. So making the chicken thigh veg (using brussels shallots, and sweet taters) ala Rockabilly :) and a Pink Lady apple pie with a heart on top for my guy. And red wine, Apothic Red on sale nearby.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I've spent the last 2 days making Danish. It's a involved recipe with all the laminating (folding) and resting you have to do on the first day. Then in the refrigerator overnight to rest and rise slowly. Yesterday I baked them. I made a cherry and cream cheese filling for them and they are so good they make you cry "Uncle". :D

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Oh man! sounds so good.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Oh Thank You! They really are excellent and if one bakes it is not overwhelming to make at all.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:55 pm

I have a pork shoulder needs roasting, plenty of fresh asparagus (the last for this season from my friend's dad's farm - he mulched the paddocks yesterday *crying*) and zucchini for steaming, and a mix of potatoes, beet, onion to go in the oven and roast alongside the pork. I am not sure what I'll season the pork with - my favourite is salt, pepper and LOADS of paprika, but if I do it plainly I can turn the leftovers into other things (rather than eating paprika pork all week). I've got a few hours to decide.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Yesterday I braised a couple large lamb shanks in red wine and beef demi glace with rosemary, juniper berries, thyme, shallots and lots of garlic. They were in the oven at 250 for about 4 hours. Meanwhile, I sauteed lots of mushrooms in butter, poured the juices out of the Dutch Oven and made a decadent mushroom gravy. Roasted cauliflower on the side to lighten things up. Can't wait for leftovers tonight!

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at shepherd's pie for the first time.
Keep calm and canter on.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:23 pm

I roasted half of the pork, with the skin, and diced the other half.

The roast had simple salt and pepper as seasoning; I also cooked some mixed roast vege (potato, beet, onion, and for the last little bit, zuc and asparagus). The skin didn't crackle up properly but was crispy and crunchy - yum!

The diced pork went into a stew with stock, onions, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and paprika - also cooked in the oven. I will eat that tonight, with pasta and steamed veges. Yum!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:49 pm

Baked chicken burritos, avocado and salad with cilantro cream dressing.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 am

Pulled pork (slowly roasted), with a tomato/aubergine sauce sort of thing (fry off aubergine, add tomatoes and seasoning, cook for at least two hours on a low heat), and fresh garden veges, steamed (sliced cabbage, sliced green beans, kale, etc). And some pasta. Yum! Leftovers for lunch tomorrow, it's trimming "weekend" for me so I'll be out all day tomorrow and all morning the following day.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I have Hoppin' John cooking in my Instant Pot, in a belated salute to the New Year.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Last night I made a Thai-influenced coconut milk butternut squash curried soup in the instant pot. Served with chunks lf mushroom, tofu, spinach, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.

Hubby dropped a spoon into the IP, and rather than fish it out of molten hot soup, we left it while serving ... and navigated the water hazard. Lol.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 am

So, we grow shiitakes. Used to grow oysters and lions head and other mushrooms, too, but we have simplified for production at home.

Tonight, it's sautéed shiitakes, roasted butternut squash, a little sautéed free roaming bacon over whole wheat pasta. Yum.

Really not so far from the prior post on this thread!!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am

Shrimp and snowpea stirfry. I also made English Muffins this morning from dough I made yesterday and refrigerated overnight. As soon as the muffins were done we each had one dripping with butter and jam.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:49 am

I made a big pail of bread dough yesterday and added some instant potato flakes to the dough, which seems to soften it so it doesn't develop quite as tough a crust as it normally does. I make the no-knead kind of bread, starting with a small amount of yeast, which seems to produce a tough dough.

But I made a pizza out of a handful of the dough and I think it was probably the best pizza I've ever made. Also baked 4 loaves and sliced and froze those, and portioned out the rest and froze them.

I'm not riding as much this winter so am doing a lot more cooking.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 am

Alright, some of us are not exactly foodies.
Tonight I had a peanut butter and raw banana sandwich on multigrain bread, alongside a dark chocolate Atkins protein shake.

I might round up some Skittles and Diet Coke later to wash it all down. :lol:

Don't cry, y'all!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:17 am

Yesterday I cooked a small wild boar roast into the Instant Pot. Simply salted, browned in lard and pressure cooked with chicken stock. Came out really good! Tonight's dinner was some of that shredded in a scramble with green onions, half an Avocado, summer squash sautéed with mushrooms, and a fried plantain with smoked paprika.
Keep calm and canter on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Last night I dug out our stone bowls and made Dolsot Bibimbap (without beef).

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Oh, that looks like a fascinating web site. I am going to have to read everything on it and probably shop for some of the ingredients.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:06 am

Pecan crusted Chicken breast salad with homemade honey mustard dressing. Homemade key lime pie for dessert.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:44 pm

It's been Blue Apron in this house for the last few weeks, and so far so good. Some recipes are better than others but at least they all are pretty to look at. And many of them contain salad, something my youngsters need a LOT of practice to consume - we're chipping (gagging? pretending to vomit? oh drama, your name is little girls!) away at it!

The bitter cold is back though, and the girls have gymnastics team on Mondays which means we won't get back home before 6pm and they'll be ravenous so tonight it's Emeril's crockpot beef stew.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Pork Stir fry with noodles and napa cabbage.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Lamb chops, marinated in a mix of basil pesto, rosemary, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, pan fried and then lid on to cook in the pan juices for a bit. Served with veges: sliced onion, kale, zucchini and capsicum (lightly fried first, then lamb back on top and steamed for a bit). Yum!

Lunch today is a toastie (toasted sandwich) with ham, grated zucchini and two types of cheese (one that melts well, and camembert). I should have thought to put some of the jalapenos on - damn!!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Crappy weather, and the wood cook stove was hot so I put a pan of beans and a pan of brown rice on to cook. Then I used 10 cups of water to start a big pail of bread dough. When the beans were done I added some canned tomatoes and cumin and taste tested them on tortillas with cheese and black olives. Yum.

By then the bread dough was ready enough so I baked a couple loaves, split up the rest of the dough and froze it, put some more flour and water in the pail with a glob of dough and set it out in the cold storage room for tomorrow.

While I was out there I got the urge to dig in the freezer and found chopped peppers and onions, picked up a stored cabbage, grated some frozen ginger and garlic, and stir fried it all. Poured a little stock in to get the brown stuff up off the bottom of the pan, found some shredded pork in the fridge, and mixed it all up with the rice. A little soy sauce, and dinner was served (once at noon and again at 3, because it's impossible to eat enough stir fry to last more than a couple hours)

And now it's time to go out in the freezing rain and feed horses.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Worst winter here in living memory, well mine I've lived here in outskirts of Calgary for 40 yrs. Anyway mega snow arctic cold for a week now. Made a Bailey's cheesecake on Sunday for the man and me. Haven't made a cheesecake in decades, it turned out pretty yum maybe tiny bit soft in middle but it gets better as it mellows in the fridge. Tonight, just trying to use up stuff as we are escaping to Van. Island in 7 blessed days.. Black bean tacos with chipotle sour cream, red cabbage, red onion and cilantro slaw. And cheesecake.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Sweet and sour pork tonight. I have been wanting to make real baked beans, but I think that calls for cold weather which we have so far not had this winter.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:50 pm

I made this lamb stew last night. I didn't have dates or almonds, so I left those out, and I substituted sriracha for harissa.

It was excellent!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:04 pm

I think I've experimented with no knead bread for long enough, so have now switched to sweet rolls. I thought all the butter and sugar and eggs in sweet roll dough would weigh the it down so much that I'd have to use a ton of yeast, but as it turns out, I don't. In fact, the batch I put in the fridge 3 days ago was so puffy I had a hard time wrestling it into submission because it kept puffing up again before I could get the filling on it.

My freezers are so full of sweet rolls now that the no knead bread is buried, so I gave up and sliced sweet rolls for sandwiches. Cut off the gooey tops and put ham salad on them, and are they ever good!

Also put a small corned beef on the wood cook stove yesterday and added lots of potatoes, cabbage, onions, and carrots, and then ate lots of veggies to help balance out the ham salad and sweet rolls.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Your sweet rolls sound interesting. Would you mind sharing your recipe? I make cinnamon sweet rolls that contain corn starch and they are very good.
So Boston Baked Beans are in the oven as I type. It's been so spring like and Baked Beans sound like cold weather food to me. Finally last night and today it is cold. I had a little taste of the liquid before I put them in the oven in my actual bean pot and it was good.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 pm

I don't really use a recipe, although I was reading about the effects that the different ingredients have on the dough and this site: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/bread-m ... gredients/ said that one shouldn't use more than 2 Tbsp sugar for each cup of flour because it'll inhibit gluten production. So I'll have to keep that in mind.

I used approximately 2.5 cups milk, 2.5 cups water, 4 eggs, 1 cup oil, 1.5 tsp yeast, and maybe a 1/2 cup of sugar for the last batch I made. Mixed that together in this pail thing I have that has a dough hook that clamps onto the top. I think I put in some potato that I'd cooked in the microwave, and then poured in flour until the dough stiffened up. I left it in the fridge for 3 days and it got wetter and very, very puffy and bubbly!

I'd made several batches before this one with approximately the same ingredients, except I used butter instead of oil and let the dough rise a few hours at room temp instead of in the fridge for days. The dough from those batches was much better behaved (much less puffy).

Once the dough seemed puffy enough I flattened it into a big rectangle, spread butter over it, sprinkled sugar and cinnamon over the butter, and rolled it up. Then I cut it with a piece of dental floss. Although I did give up on the dental floss with the crazy dough because it was so hard to handle, and just started cutting hunks of it off with a bench scraper.

I made one batch of topping by bringing 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of Karo to a boil and then pouring that into a baking pan. Sprinkled nuts on some of it, left some plain, and plopped the dough on top.

I had way more dough than room in the pan so started spreading soft butter in the bottoms of pans, pouring maple syrup in, and then plopping more dough in those pans, too. Baked them all at about 350 degrees F until they were 185 degrees or more, and they were all done enough. Flipped the pans over on baking sheets so the topping could run over the rolls.

I thought there would be quite a bit of variation between the different batches, but I tried them all and they were pretty much the same. The crazy dough ones weren't all that different from the ones I'd made before, so the proportions of milk to egg to sugar to fat don't seem to matter all that much. I don't think the potato made a difference either, so I'll leave that out next time.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:17 am

Canyon wrote:I made this lamb stew last night. I didn't have dates or almonds, so I left those out, and I substituted sriracha for harissa.

It was excellent!

Oh, that looks Fab. I have prunes not dates, but lots of lamb, so I will give this a shot.
Keep calm and canter on.

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Rockabilly, your boneless chicken thigh recipe went straight to my private recipe blog. I can't wait to try it. Everything I've tried of yours has come out absolutely fantastic, so I'm looking forward to making this soon!

I bought a rotisserie chicken, so I'll probably make a quick spinach, monterey jack and chicken quesadilla tonight.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank You very much. That is so nice of you to say you like my recipes.

Tonight will be charcoal grilled hamburgers with homemade buns and special sauce. The buns are so delicious and make the hamburger so much that we decided we can no longer eat hamburgers on ordinary buns. :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 pm

It's looking like we'll be getting a beef quarter about six months earlier than expected this year, so time to eat the beef I've been rationing the last few months.

Tonight will be ribeyes cooked sous vide with just garlic, salt and peppercorns, with roasted asparagus and Yukon gold potatoes on the side.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 am

Rockabilly : we have just finished your chicken/balsamic/mustard roast recipe and it was super, thank you!! It kind of saved me, as I am temporarily living with a group of 3 other people (work colleagues, we are on a job for a month or maybe more living in a rented house), and we are trying to take turns cooking. I was stressing out big time about what to make.... this was delicious and enjoyed by all.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:44 pm

We are going to Boise's most pretentious restaurant tonight: http://stateandlemp.com/ To be fair, it really is excellent; we went for my birthday last fall.

On the menu/wine flight:

Wild Greens
nettle. chevre. watercress. sesame

Bodegas Arzabro “Luzia de Ripa” Txakolina­

Udon
trout. dashi. preserved lemon. mushrooms

Domaine Houchart Côtes de Provence Rosé

Quail
leek. nori. umeboshi. black truffle

Cambria “Benchbreak” Pinot Noir

Lamb
sunchoke. sprouts. sunflower. wild onion

Dashe Cellars Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel

Nougat Glacé
baharat. pistachio. toffee. grapefruit

Hardys “Whiskers Blake” Tawny Port
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 pm

Good grief. I was just going to inquire about a white bean/chicken or pork roast/spicy kind of soup/stew recipe to stretch my Instant Pot techniques.

Never mind, I'll just sit here and drool for a couple of hours.

Please share.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:18 pm

Yeah, me too. :)

Tonight it is homemade pizza. I made the crust yesterday with 00 flour and it reposed in the refrigerator overnight. I also made the sauce. I just make a simple pizza with fresh basil, but so delicious. Before I started making my own pizzas and crust when I would eat pizza out I only ate the topping. I was never a crust person, but now I see with making my own crust how delicious it can be.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:07 am

You guys. The nougat glace was amazing, but the take-home lesson was to eat pistachios with pink grapefruit Supremes. That is something I can do at home.
Keep calm and canter on.

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Rockabilly's mustard chicken thigh recipe was a big hit! Thank you.

Anybody else planning ahead for Easter? DH doesn't know this yet, but I think we got volunteered to host about 15 friends and family. Any favorite Easter recipes for simple, fail safe dishes I can make mostly ahead? I want to enjoy myself rather than be sequestered in the kitchen the whole time. I did a Kirkland Master Carve ham last year, and it turned out perfectly, so I'll do that again. What else?

I am thinking 3 p.m. buffet and drinks table (wine, beer (maybe in a cooler), iced tea, fresh squeezed lemonade, water). There will be a little Easter egg hunt for the kiddies (I have a small, urban backyard -- container garden but no grass). Any ideas for how to put one of these things on in such a way that we can still enjoy our guests?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:23 pm

For our family gatherings, the hosts decide on the menu and what they want to make and then delegate the rest. Would that work for this crowd? The hosts have enough to stress about, getting the house ready, and all the other details. And we all pitch in after the meal and help load the dishwasher, package up extra food for the frig/freezer, etc.

So, "We're making a ham and providing beverages, you please bring a crudite platter, you bring mashed potatoes, you bring a tossed salad, you bring a hot green vegetable, you bring hot cross buns or bread, you bring an Easter cake" etc.

For the egg hunt, you could buy a bunch of plastic eggs and fill each with a few wrapped chocolate candies, jelly beans, or a small toy. Then you could hide them in your yard the day before, without worrying about hard-boiled eggs going bad. Maybe have a few inexpensive, empty baskets on hand for the kids for gathering eggs.

Have fun!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”