Trailer tips and tricks

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Trailer tips and tricks

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 pm

So, I bought my first trailer over the weekend. It is a used 2 horse slant load steel trailer with a tack room. It's a stock trailer, but not the kind that has lots of "slots" in it - it only has one set of slots at the top and on the tailgate. It's a step up, as that's what our horses prefer. The first thing I want to buy is a jiffy jack to keep in the tack room. Any other tips and tricks for "trailer-keeping" or driving? I've pulled a camper before, but not a horse trailer.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trailer tips and tricks

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:49 pm

there are lots of different opinions on does and do nots, but the most important one to me, is make sure it is clean and dry and store it with a slight slope so if any rain gets in, it can drain. I personally use shavings for the horses to stand on, and clean it out each time, but i know others who do not , so its a choice, but keeping the floor clean is an essential.

I like to put a dab of grease on the hitch, to keep the hitch mechanism working smoothly.

when driving horses, keep a longer following distance than you think you need, and try very hard to make all starts and stops smooth and gradual. ( i realize this is not always possible) remember to not accelerate after a ninety degree turn, until your trailer is straight behind you or you can cause a bit of a whiplash effect on the trailer and give the horses an unpleasant ride.

wishing you may safe and pleasant travels. I am sure others will have great tips too

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Keeping the hitch greased is a good idea. It prevents wear and tear on the ball of the hitch!!
I do not use shavings in the trailer. I am always worried about stuff blowing around in the trailer although I have heard that people who DO use shavings put fly masks on to prevent it blowing in their eyes.

Clean and dry. Definitely important. And definitely get the bearings repacked every year!

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:39 pm

I always use shavings as I don't want a horse to slip in urine, but as noted above others are concerned about shavings blowing around. Have to go with your gut on that one.

I keep a spare set of everything in my tack room: lunging gear, grooming equipment, blankets, etc., so that I only have to remember saddle/girth/bridle/boots/helmet. If you haul often, this will significantly reduce your stress level.

Always have spare halters/leadlines/buckets and an emergency first aid kit for humans and horses.

Steel trailers rust so you need to make sure you get it inspected for safety every year.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Congratulations! Don't you love new toys?????

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:34 pm

My husband bought me a hitch cam for Christmas a couple years ago. Best thing ever if you're hitching up frequently without a spotter. Mine came from CostCo for about $120.

I like the Tie-Safe trailer ties that are velcro and will release under major pressure, but don't have a flying projectile like the quick release snaps. https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... fgodZ3EDbg
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm

Lots of good tips for maintenance and ownership above.

For driving: Slower is always better. You will need far more room to stop or turn with your trailer than you did with just your tow vehicle.

Plan far in advance for merges and exits.

Keep an eye on your tires, especially in the heat of summer: I dodged what could have been a really scary situation because I had a mirror trained on the passenger tires and saw smoke starting (with 2 horses in my trailer coming home from a show). That could have ended REALLY badly.

I recommend buying a hitch lock for storage. May as well make it difficult to steal.

Carry a spare tire or two, and make sure they're always in good shape.

Walk around your trailer at least once before driving off to double check that all doors, latches, hitches, and windows are secured.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:29 pm

I always double check the hitch before I drive off. I am paranoid that someone will sabotage the hitch when I'm out trail riding.
I drive slow and try to leave plenty of room in front of me. Unfortunately, there are always @$$hats on the freeway that duck into that space. Also, when I'm making a turn from a stop, I wait until the trailer is straight behind the truck before I start to accelerate. And I slow down almost to a stop to make a left or right hand turn.
Last, don't be surprised when a semi passes you that you will feel the pull of their vacuum. Don't take your foot off the gas pedal. Just keep driving straight without a loss of speed.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Another thought: the far right lane on California freeways is the worst for potholes, etc. I try to avoid that lane because it bumps the horses and I have to deal with traffic merging onto the freeway.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:27 am

I wouldn't use shavings in an open trailer -- too many projectiles. On that subject, fly masks are great on the freeway.

A stabilizer/equalizer hitch is a must for me.
Check tire pressure every trip.
Check the hubs for excessive heat/warping during stops.
Carry water & bucket.

Pack an emergency kit that includes dual purpose stuff -- duct tape, vet wrap, gauze pads, wound wash, extra standing bandages, twine, syringe to rinse wounds, distilled water for wounds, something to pack feet, sharp knife, etc.

How are you at backing up? I took my trailer to an empty parking lot and practiced backing into a parking spot -- 90 degree turn into spot -- in both directions.

clanter
Herd Member

Postby clanter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 am

you should look closely at the slated area to see if there channels to insert Plexiglas panels to enclose the trail for winter use .... most of the stock crossovers area here have the removal able panels

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

heddylamar wrote:How are you at backing up? I took my trailer to an empty parking lot and practiced backing into a parking spot -- 90 degree turn into spot -- in both directions.

This. As a friend said to me this weekend, you need to be able to back it up in case of an emergency, or you end up somewhere that you need to get turned around.

I just did my first solo highway trip with Yonka on the weekend. It went well, but hauling a living creature inside a great big tin can is a little harder on the nerves that hauling a camper around.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:08 pm

clanter wrote:you should look closely at the slated area to see if there channels to insert Plexiglas panels to enclose the trail for winter use .... most of the stock crossovers area here have the removal able panels

Do you have a supplier for those plexiglass panels? I'd be interested!

Thanks for the great info above! When I went and looked at the trailer, it was in a barn. The seller dropped it off last night and it looks a lot BIGGER parked next to my garage! It will be fine, but it definitely looks BIG! :lol:

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I agree with practice your backing skills. Also, get really good at hitching/unhitching, unless you leave your truck hooked up all the time. It's good to be able to hook up quickly in case of an emergency.

Also, if you have room in your tack area, have something you can sit down on, to put on/take off your boots. I have an old toy chest that doubles as a seat and a place to store first aid supplies for me and horses, foul weather gear, flares, emergency triangles, etc.

I bought some reflective tape that I need to stick on the sides and back of my trailer to make it more visible at night.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 pm

What an awesome and timely thread...thx for starting in Sunshine, I am enjoying the benefits of your effort! :D

Total newbie question...how/where/with what do you grease the hitch?

Please keep the advise coming....how about some suggestions about storing the trailer if there isn't a shelter for it? Do folks like covers or tire covers? Do you put a bucket or something over the hitch/tongue to protect from rain?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:10 pm

I use tire covers because the California sun just destroys the rubber. These are my favorite because the wire keeps the cover on in high winds.
http://www.calcarcover.com/product/59/1 ... ire_Covers
If the trailer is unhitched, I use a generic hitch cover and make sure that I tuck the electrical cord underneath it. Where I am (Northern California), I don't bother with a cover for the entire trailer. My trailer is all aluminum so I might not bother anywhere else either. :D

Other tidbits:
I have spare clips and hitch rods and pins and electrical adaptors inside my trailer. It is very easy to lose the pin that locks the receiver down. I always fasten it onto something after I unhitch but I have spare parts just in case. My trailer has a small electrical plug so I have an adaptor so I can hook up to a tow vehicle with a large receptacle and also the reverse so I can use my truck to pull someone else's trailer.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:09 pm

goldhorse wrote:Another thought: the far right lane on California freeways is the worst for potholes, etc. I try to avoid that lane because it bumps the horses and I have to deal with traffic merging onto the freeway.

Alas this is actually illegal in CA (though I completely agree with you). A friend of mine was actually ticketed for being in another lane, apparently you need to be in the far right unless passing.

To add to the hitch lock, I lock the hitch to the truck AND keep a hitch lock on the trailer when stored. One of my girlfriends had her hitch stolen off her truck at a hotel and had to go buy a new one to get home from a show. Adds a wee bit of extra stress . . .

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 am

exploding pony wrote:
goldhorse wrote:Another thought: the far right lane on California freeways is the worst for potholes, etc. I try to avoid that lane because it bumps the horses and I have to deal with traffic merging onto the freeway.

Alas this is actually illegal in CA (though I completely agree with you). A friend of mine was actually ticketed for being in another lane, apparently you need to be in the far right unless passing.

Darn, I wish you hadn't told me this. I prefer to live in blissful ignorance.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Another question I thought of - what about insurance? Is your trailer insured, and if yes for what?

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:55 am

goldhorse wrote:I always double check the hitch before I drive off. I am paranoid that someone will sabotage the hitch when I'm out trail riding.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:01 am

I have heard of someone having just the pin taken out of their tow ball/bar when they were parked in a shopping centre.

I have my trailer insured, I bought it new so it was insured for what I paid for it.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:Another question I thought of - what about insurance? Is your trailer insured, and if yes for what?

yes, for theft and liability if it swings out and causes damage. however, I checked that some of it is covered under the truck's policy.
talk to your agent about your specific needs. I have it for a VERY good price.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Until you get good at backing, you can get good at arriving early while there's plenty of space to turn around. I always attempt to park facing my exit route (and, in a place I know I can easily pull out of). Of course this doesn't help if some asshat parks you in when they arrive late... I always assess gateways/driveways etc on my way in so I know I can leave when I want to/need to. I try to park where I can't be parked in.

I always check hitch, brakes, safety chain and lights when I use the trailer. It's a pain to do the lights by yourself, but you need to know they are working.
I also don't let anyone else hitch up for me... If they did, I'd go around and check it all anyway. Quicker to do it myself :lol: Always clean out after use, and park on a slight incline so water can drain out.

If storing outside, know where your prevailing weather comes from and if/how it can get inside (windows, doors, vents, etc).
It pays to store on concrete or gravel if you can, as being on dirt of grass can lead to increased moisture and thus rust underneath (which you can't always SEE).

Know where to check for rust (structurally). Check the floor regularly. Get it serviced regularly, and learn how to grease brakes and hitch yourself.

I have my trailer insured for what I have invested in it, which is less than replacement value if it were totalled. I do not have any cover for my trailer on my truck insurance, the trailer policy covers the trailer. My trailer insurance has some cover for emergency stabling/transport/vet bills for the horses, should an accident occur. The trailer is covered in case of theft, fire, etc.

OH! One more thing: if your trailer has batteries (I have a deep cycle battery that runs the water pump and internal lights) - do not let it go flat. Check it every now and then, charge if necessary. Also, know how to turn everything off, so it doesn't seize (expensive to replace things like water pumps, etc). Mine is wired up so that it charges while I'm driving, but recently was VERY low charge as I basically haven't travelled anywhere with the trailer in the past year (whoops).

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:48 pm

goldhorse wrote:
exploding pony wrote:

Two or three lane road?

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:07 pm

M&M wrote:
goldhorse wrote:
exploding pony wrote:

Two or three lane road?

4-5 lane highway. Trucks and trailers are supposed to be in the right most lane unless passing.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:14 am

Not even in the 2nd most right? Around here, that would be called the travel lane. The far right is the slow lane, and not advisable because of people merging on to the highway.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:52 pm

Always check your hitch. Always. Everytime you get in and out of your truck, check your hitch.

Have a drive on trailer Jack. Essential. Have the necessary tools for changing tires, make sure they fit, use them. Practice. Nothing worse than getting a flat and realizing you have everything you need but your lug wrench doesn't fit your lug nuts.

Now this is a spendy thing, but totally worth it IMO. Get a cordless Impact wrench and and a socket that fits your trailer lug nuts. Makes trailer tire changing much easier and you sound like a mechanical bad ass when you're doing it. Make sure you keep it charged, with a dead battery it's just a big paperweight. Mine is made by DeWalt.

When you have your truck tires rotated (everyone does this right?) have your trailer tires rotated as well. Good opportunity to have your trailer tires checked over by a pro. Have them check your spare as well. When you check the air pressure in your trailer tires (everytime ideally, esp if you don't haul a lot) check the pressure in your spare as well. A flat spare is just a really BIG paoerweight.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 am

Quelah wrote: Get a cordless Impact wrench and and a socket that fits your trailer lug nuts.

I went the torque wrench route, plus a full set of sockets.

Quelah's post reminded me of my most used accessory -- a box full of fuses for truck, trailer, and tractor. So far, all 3 have drawn from the box several times each.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:45 am

California vehicle code 22406 states that trailers must stay in the right hand lane on the highway (except for passing) unless there are four or more lanes going the same direction then they may travel in the second lane from the right.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:37 pm

Thank you Quelah. My trips to Davis on I80 will be a lot smoother now.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Don't know how long it's been since you've been but most of 80 to Davis has been repaved in recent times and it's not as hideous as it used to be. Definite a thousand times better than 580 over the Altamont! I actually did the Altamont in my speedy new car the other day, fast Lane all the way and it still sucks.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:01 pm

The constant construction on 680 and the Altamont pass are two big reasons I left Pioneer for Davis. There are still bad spots on I80 in Vallejo.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Ah, I don't have to go near Vallejo thank goodness. But yes, I recall the last time I took horsed from Walnut Creek to Sonoma horse park thinking "I really REALLY need to charge more for this trip". Of course the long road into SHP is probably the worst part ;)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”