General Photography Discussion 2

Gwen
Herd Member

Re: General Photography Discussion 2

Postby Gwen » Fri May 12, 2017 9:51 am

VLF, I'm so sorry, losing the D700 must be heartbreaking. I loved mine and understood it so well it was like an extension of my brain, when it finally started to go wrong (it kept shutting itself down and corrupting video cards, sent it to Nikon and they couldn't fix it), I didn't know what to do.

I ended up going with the D810, I didn't like the feel of the D750, even though I know it's an excellent camera. The D810 felt almost like shooting with the D700, and I didn't have to think about what I was doing quite so much to get the same results. Biggest downside is image size and storage, of course.

Good luck with your decision!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun May 14, 2017 9:07 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:Black Rapid is the brand name of sling straps. They screw into the tripod mount. I use a different brand harness, but have black rapid screws that hook to my harness.

I'm still at a loss which camera replaced the D700. :(

So sad! I also use the Black Rapid screws. But one thing I do when I'm in a harness is I use the quick release straps from my regular neck strap for a fail-safe. I clip the two ends together through the harness camera hanger. That way if the screw works its way out, the strap will catch it. Any camera strap I buy has to have the short quick-release straps. Not only can I quickly take off the strap to put the body on a tripod, they are a must added harness safety.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Mon May 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Suzon wrote:
viscountessleftfield wrote:Black Rapid is the brand name of sling straps. They screw into the tripod mount. I use a different brand harness, but have black rapid screws that hook to my harness.

I'm still at a loss which camera replaced the D700. :(

So sad! I also use the Black Rapid screws. But one thing I do when I'm in a harness is I use the quick release straps from my regular neck strap for a fail-safe. I clip the two ends together through the harness camera hanger. That way if the screw works its way out, the strap will catch it. Any camera strap I buy has to have the short quick-release straps. Not only can I quickly take off the strap to put the body on a tripod, they are a must added harness safety.

I always loctite my screws in to the cameras, but I threw on grips before a super long wedding and didn't have loctite.

Once I replace the bodies I'll be adding a safety strap somehow. I'm just bummed about my 700 and trying to replace her (can you tell!?!)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon May 22, 2017 5:09 pm

Summer is always so pretty :)
Attachments
20170521-_DSC4269-1.jpg
20170521-_DSC4269-1.jpg (162.84 KiB) Viewed 34417 times
20170521-_DSC4315-2.jpg
20170521-_DSC4315-2.jpg (135.9 KiB) Viewed 34417 times

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue May 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Butterflies!! And I love those cone flowers. Great shots!

I had a mare maternity shoot and a puppy shoot, and then some pics from my holiday weekend.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

These puppies are free. The farm owner picked up a female GP (LGD) and she had puppies 2 weeks later. They are half GP and the previous owner thinks the other half is Lab.

Introducing a 3 yr old to water
ImageImage

Toy Rat Terrier cow dog.. lol

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed May 31, 2017 3:20 am

OMG, love the duck coming in for a landing and the too-cute-for-words puppy in the wrap/sling :) Oh, and the mare head shot with the wreath and mare and mom sniffing hand/nose :) :) :)

Me? I love messing around with DOF ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed May 31, 2017 1:06 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:OMG, love the duck coming in for a landing and the too-cute-for-words puppy in the wrap/sling :) Oh, and the mare head shot with the wreath and mare and mom sniffing hand/nose :) :) :)

Me? I love messing around with DOF ;)

Thanks WMW!

These were all just sort of test runs of various ideas I've been playing around with adding to my services. I'm trying to find a niche that's not as saturated in my market right now. I've only shared most of these on my personal page, but I've already picked up a few people wanting sessions (some quite far away, but they're willing to pay travel fees). Some people think the mare pics are ridiculous, which I can understand, but some people like that sort of thing too.

The puppy breeder is doing a test to see if she can offer her puppies at a higher price with better pictures. If so, I'll start shooting all of her litters, which I believe are 3 a year. She has 2 litters now and another bitch that she'll breed in the fall. They are working Blue Heelers.

The conditions were awful in the mare and puppy pics, sprinkling, no light, etc. We are going to try her again if she doesn't foal before the weekend. I've got a huge white flower garland we want to try!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 pm

I went back and looked... yup, she's as fat as a house ;) Yeah, maybe ridiculous but I still loved them. A good color combination where the garland really pops with her coat color.

The Blue Heelers... I love the photo of the adult, nice expression and you can see the focus. If the breeder is wanting more $$ (fair enough :) ), for me, the cutsie puppy photos wouldn't justify an increase in price (as a buyer). They might get me interesting in pursuing a puppy from the litter. As a buyer, to pay more, I want something that shows the parents... good working photos plus some "cute" ones. If the breeder can get some "older" puppy pictures (i.e., when eyes/ears open, etc) that shows the promise of good working ethic, those would be, IMO, the $$ photos (for her and for you ;) ). At this age, they're cute but necessarily worth more.

When I got my last Border Terrier, got a referral to the breeder who's asking price was pretty much what I was expecting based on other litters. For me, I probably wouldn't have paid more than the going rate but I do know the blog as the puppies grew up with the absolutely cute puppy pictures kept me interested and wondering which pup I'd get :)

You are great at capturing action in a shot with the movement and feel (and that isn't always easy). Maybe that is the target niche to be going for? The rat terrier with the calf shows great movement with both the calf and terrier :)

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:56 am

OMG you guys, the D5 is the most amazing camera I've ever held. It puts both the D750 and D500 to shame in speed and snappiness and sharpness. The ISO is out of this world.

I'm in love. And, I'll post a few pictures from it after I edit!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:09 am

VLF, so glad you are happy with your choice. Did you rent one first or buy cold turkey?

Your reply, however, is meaningless without photos :D

I do *not* need another FX camera ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm

I wondered about the 5D because a few people in my Equine Photography group have it and say that they preferred the D500, which made no sense to me. I'd love to be able to buy a 5D!!

Baby has landed
ImageImage

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:57 pm

OMG, I love the baby pictures :) (esp the last one peeking under mom's belly :) )

PS. looked at the D5... gulp :)

VLF, I just did a compare of my D750 to the D5. What were the specific features of the D5 that you like? I don't shoot the same things you do so I am sure the feature preferences might be different so just curious. Me? Other than the high ISO (which I probably wouldn't use most of the time) I did like the FPS speed.

RTR, the D810 is on sale on the Nikon web site.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:OMG, I love the baby pictures :) (esp the last one peeking under mom's belly :) )

RTR, the D810 is on sale on the Nikon web site.

I kind of love my D500 too much to look at another camera. Although all of the photos above were taken with my old full frame...lol. I couldn't get close enough to make adjustments with the crop.

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8? I'm about to pull the trigger on one to play around with before I think about buying a more expensive version in that distance range. The stock contractors keep shortening the pen on me to where my 70-200 is barely useable and only when they just come out of the chute, so I'm wanting to try something shorter. These lenses get decent reviews and are only in the $300 range, so not too bad for a test run.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8? I'm about to pull the trigger on one to play around with before I think about buying a more expensive version in that distance range. The stock contractors keep shortening the pen on me to where my 70-200 is barely useable and only when they just come out of the chute, so I'm wanting to try something shorter. These lenses get decent reviews and are only in the $300 range, so not too bad for a test run.

I don't have any experience with Tamron, nor Nikon, but I have the 24-105L for my Canon and it ends up being my most used lens. No it's not as amazing as the 70-200, but it's sooo versatile, especially on a crop frame. I don't know if there's something similar for Nikon.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Suzon wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:

I don't have any experience with Tamron, nor Nikon, but I have the 24-105L for my Canon and it ends up being my most used lens. No it's not as amazing as the 70-200, but it's sooo versatile, especially on a crop frame. I don't know if there's something similar for Nikon.

We do have an 18-105 for Nikon, but it's a kit lens, so not f2.8. I'll be using the new lens on my D500 ("pro" crop frame camera) which makes it like a 27-80, I think. It's a DX lens. I'm hoping that, as you said, it will be a good all-around usable lens, besides something I can use at bull riding events with small pens.

I'll let you guys know since I just ordered it. lol

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:18 pm

I have owned the 28-105 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 Tamron and I'll never own another Tamron product, both were very soft at the wide angle end and slow to focus. I'm not a fan of the 70-200 Tamron, either. Their products just don't handle low light or action well, IME. I buy Sigma lenses, though!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:I have owned the 28-105 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 Tamron and I'll never own another Tamron product, both were very soft at the wide angle end and slow to focus. I'm not a fan of the 70-200 Tamron, either. Their products just don't handle low light or action well, IME. I buy Sigma lenses, though!

I actually just sold my Tamron 70-200 because I didn't care for it, compared to my Nikon. I was going to get the Sigma, but it had horrible reviews, compared to the Tamron. lol. Yes, I did read soft in the corners on the wide in at 2.8 with this lens, but I don't really think I'll use it at that end, wide open. The reviews also said that it depended on the copy. Some people sent back 3 copies before getting one that was good.

I'm going to try this out and if it looks soft, I'll just send it back. I had an old 24-70 Nikon, but it was on life support as is, so I let someone take it to just goof off with.
Thanks!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:16 am

RTR, I was gonna suggest renting it before buying to see if you liked it :)

I have, I think, the Tamron 150-600 for birds. Since they aren't my priority when shooting, I was willing to sacrifice a bit on "quality" of the photos over what I'd pay for a Nikon equivalent.

I still end up with the 70-200 most of the time. I do have a "lap" camera bag that I can drag along a second lens but don't usually bother with it when I go to the Desert Botanical Garden. If I do the closest regional park, I'll bring it.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:OMG you guys, the D5 is the most amazing camera I've ever held. It puts both the D750 and D500 to shame in speed and snappiness and sharpness. The ISO is out of this world.

I'm in love. And, I'll post a few pictures from it after I edit!

I just LOVE a happy ending. 8-)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I received the Tamron on Thursday, but Friday was my birthday and it was birthday weekend, so I didn't get to do much with it. I did shoot a flower in my yard, and yesterday morning I headed into a state park with it, but then I called out to deliver puppies and shop for horses, so I gave up. I did get a ton of dragonfly pictures though, and I'm excited to get those on the computer tonight and see what I have. Of course I had a rodeo on Friday night, so I should do those first...maybe....

Just a quick shot

It seems reasonably sharp so far. The focusing was a bit slow trying to get the dragonflies, but it worked out ok.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:54 am

Nice :)

Hope you get a chance to get out and play with it a bit more...!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:03 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Nice :)

Hope you get a chance to get out and play with it a bit more...!

Thanks. I think I like it. Here are a few pics from the state park; the dragonfly ones are pretty extreme crops.

Yeah, LR did a funky with my auto-watermark..lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

And just because, baby pics

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:31 pm

OMG, you can never have too many baby pics ;)

Love the second dragonfly shot - the image is nice and sharp and the dragonfly itself with the yellow with black bars on the wings.

I used to think you needed a macro for insects... nope, love the telephotos so you can get up close and personal without having to get up close and personal :)

Dying to hear how it works for you shooting the rodeos.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:56 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:OMG, you can never have too many baby pics ;)

Love the second dragonfly shot - the image is nice and sharp and the dragonfly itself with the yellow with black bars on the wings.

I used to think you needed a macro for insects... nope, love the telephotos so you can get up close and personal without having to get up close and personal :)

Dying to hear how it works for you shooting the rodeos.

I agree on the baby pics. I might get some more of her tomorrow, at least I'm going to try to.

I like that one too! I was trying to shoot them with the new lens (17-55), which is quite difficult. I had left my 70-200 in the truck since I was really wanting to test the new lens. So yeah, most of those are extreme crops, like the dragonfly is basically a dot in the full sized photo..lol.

Fear not, I went back Saturday with my 70-200 and grabbed more dragonfly photos..lol. Sorry about the watermarks, but these are linked from Facebook and due to some rash of thefts lately, I'm watermarking everything that goes on there. WARNING: I may be obsessed and I may have gone overboard. The public Facebook album is here (with tons more pics..lol) https://www.facebook.com/johnnie.pierce ... nref=story

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:29 pm

You need to number these for further comments :)

These are great! Love that with the 200 side of the 70-200 you can get good shots from far enough away the insects don't have "issues".

My favorites are the blue one staring at the camera (the detail in the eyes and markings on the body), the first yellow/black striped one, the pretty side profile of the yellow/black where you can see the detail in the wings (just above my next favorite), the 3 in matchy-matchy poses on the stem, the transparent wings with black tips staring at the camera.

:D

At least the dragon flies will hold still even if briefly. The hummers and bees, not as much.

How do you like the new lens? How is it working out for your rodeo work?

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:52 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:You need to number these for further comments :)

These are great! Love that with the 200 side of the 70-200 you can get good shots from far enough away the insects don't have "issues".

My favorites are the blue one staring at the camera (the detail in the eyes and markings on the body), the first yellow/black striped one, the pretty side profile of the yellow/black where you can see the detail in the wings (just above my next favorite), the 3 in matchy-matchy poses on the stem, the transparent wings with black tips staring at the camera.

:D

At least the dragon flies will hold still even if briefly. The hummers and bees, not as much.

How do you like the new lens? How is it working out for your rodeo work?

Thanks! I did go pretty overboard crazy with pics.

I actually had to move back to be able to shoot some of these guys with the 70-200. I had come into a big meadow with 1000s of dragonflies, so I just stood in the middle of a small area and waited for them to calm down, then started shooting. I tried to get every variant that was around, but I was never able to get a green one because they were just too flighty. I might head back out there tomorrow and see if I can get a good green one.

When editing, I kept looking at the eyes and wondering why they weren't sharp, but I'd zoom in and they would be tack sharp. I guess it's just the shine or gloss on some of them that make them look a bit soft. I don't know.

My favorite is the drab dragonfly with the bright blue eyes. There's something almost comical about him that I like.

Yeah, I've tried bees and hummers and they frustrate me to no end..lol.

Well, we've been getting so much rain for so long that every event has been cancelled since I received my lens. There is one in 2ish weeks though, so I'll try there if I don't do anything before then. I do like the lens a lot though.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:17 am

RTR, are you doing AF on the dragonflies? It could be the eyes aren't tack sharp because the AF is focusing on the "nose" as it were. But, the eyes looked pretty in focus to me.

That blue dragonfly with the transparent wings is something else.

I have better luck with bees when they're knee deep in the flower. Hummers... don't know how many times I see them sitting on a branch, bring up the camera, get them in the lens and they buzz off. Drives me nuts!

Glad you like the lens but dying to know how it works for your rodeo work!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:20 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, are you doing AF on the dragonflies? It could be the eyes aren't tack sharp because the AF is focusing on the "nose" as it were. But, the eyes looked pretty in focus to me.

That blue dragonfly with the transparent wings is something else.

I have better luck with bees when they're knee deep in the flower. Hummers... don't know how many times I see them sitting on a branch, bring up the camera, get them in the lens and they buzz off. Drives me nuts!

Glad you like the lens but dying to know how it works for your rodeo work!

There is a mix of both AF and MF. The lens was having a hard time focusing on some of the subjects, so I went to MF for around 50% or more of the photos.

Thank you! I like him too.

Bees I can get ok since, as you said, they do land on flowers, but I'm allergic and I get all hyper aware while shooting them. lol Hummers drive me insane. Just sit still for one second!!!

I'm dying to try it out in a real work situation. If it would please stop raining for a few days, that would be great..lol.

I have some presets that I picked up a while back, and I played around with them on some of the dragonfly photos last night. I love this one.

Have you ever played around with the LR plugin Luminar Neptune? I saw a video of Scott Kelby using it, and it looked like it could be fun.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Haven't messed with that set of presets. I'll have to check them out (LN is a set of presets?)

I have a couple of different preset packages. I like messing around with the B&W ones. Interesting to me to see which photos actually make "good" B&W vs the ones that I think might be good :)

Like the one above. Looks like the blacks were really brought out as you can see that also on the stems of the grasses which is kinda cool.

Feel free to send some of your rain here... ;)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:02 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Haven't messed with that set of presets. I'll have to check them out (LN is a set of presets?)

I have a couple of different preset packages. I like messing around with the B&W ones. Interesting to me to see which photos actually make "good" B&W vs the ones that I think might be good :)

Like the one above. Looks like the blacks were really brought out as you can see that also on the stems of the grasses which is kinda cool.

Feel free to send some of your rain here... ;)

Luminar is a plug in for LR. It has some presets, but not that many. It's more like "smart" sliders/edits. Like if you're upping shadows, it knows what other things need to be done to balance out the change in shadow and automatically applies them. I can't really explain it, so here is the page. https://macphun.com/luminar-special?gcl ... I2EALw_wcB Only available for Mac atm.

I used Lemon and Lace presets on the butterfly as I had a code to get them for free a while back. Definitely more blacks and yellow-orange, while muting the others I think.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

I'm a sucker for LR doodads :)

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

I am enjoying the totally amazing photography here. Hopefully I'll have some time to post some when I get tired of playing with my new toys. I did break down and get the Epson P800 printer and I love it. The variety of papers is endless including canvas that can be mounted or stretched. I'll try to post a photo of a photo I printed out on some cold press bright paper. Gives it a little bit of texture but still a crisp image. Taken with my Nikon D500 with Tamron 150-600mm lens. The photo doesn't do the actual picture justice but you can see the texture of the paper pretty well.
Attachments
19400109_1374975775871835_3151675974357365078_n.jpg
19400109_1374975775871835_3151675974357365078_n.jpg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 34150 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Well, I would post more pics on here but it always says the size is too large and when I decrease the size it is tiny in the post. How are you all posting those big beautiful pictures? I'm lost. LOL

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:24 am

Jan & PJ, yeah, I can see the paper texture. Glad you are happy you made the plunge and got the printer and are happy with what it can do! :D

Photos for here...

What I do is have a preset in Lightroom with 50% quality; Resize to Fit Long Edge; 800 pixels; Resolution 72 pixels/inch; Sharpen for Screen; Amount Low; plus the watermark. I have a few other presets that I use if I'm going to make a larger print (say through Snapfish as I'm not destined for fine art with most of my images :) ). Oh, and in LR, just crop and post the photo to be what I like and then export with the preset.

I use this preset when I posted to FB or here or anywhere (email). Makes the file small and less appealing to use (yeah, I know, people may still take the photos and get rid of things like watermarks). To me also a tossup whether to watermark in the middle or top/bottom of the image.

I'd also be interested in what RTR does as she just mentioned that she's had some images snitched off the web :(

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 am

PS. RTR, that Luminar... I looked at the web page (not in huge detail I'll confess)... does it plug into LR so that your Develop sliders are enhanced or what is the user interface like? (Not what it does, there were definitely some cool transformations that I'd like to try on my photos :D).

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 am

Thanks WMW! I don't use LR but have a similar program that I'm trying to learn as I go. Who knew you could save different export settings. Here are some recent shots with my D500 with the Tamron 150-600. Still learning this camera too.
Attachments
DSC_8983.jpg
DSC_8983.jpg (233.52 KiB) Viewed 34125 times
DSC_9106.jpg
DSC_9106.jpg (186.61 KiB) Viewed 34125 times
DSC_9035.jpg
DSC_9035.jpg (191.55 KiB) Viewed 34125 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:43 am

A couple more with the same combo.
Attachments
DSC_9364.jpg
DSC_9364.jpg (225.39 KiB) Viewed 34125 times
DSC_9318-02.jpg
DSC_9318-02.jpg (244.79 KiB) Viewed 34125 times
DSC_8937.jpg
DSC_8937.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 34125 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 am

And a couple more with my D5500 and same Tamron lens
Attachments
20150227_015544-01.jpg
20150227_015544-01.jpg (108.43 KiB) Viewed 34124 times
DSC_0811.jpg
DSC_0811.jpg (134.92 KiB) Viewed 34124 times
DSC_0156-01.jpg
DSC_0156-01.jpg (233.1 KiB) Viewed 34124 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:06 am

And one more of my favorites...
Attachments
Squirrely Tree-1-01.jpg
Squirrely Tree-1-01.jpg (105.92 KiB) Viewed 34124 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Very nice. Like the cardinal, squirrel, tree silhouette, dragonfly and butterfly. I love the butterflies and so many different colors and wing shapes. I personally don't like dragonflies but they are very cool insects to photograph.

I don't know if your software has canned "settings". Lightroom calls them presets and has presets for things like export (to jpg) and also in the developing stage. Make it a bit easier if it is a process that you do often (like exporting for the web or making 8x10 prints for example or "converting" a raw from color to black&white).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:27 pm

As a separate topic but something I thought very cool and photography related.

Yesterday's Tour de France stage 7 ended up with what appeared to be a dead heat between 2 riders. The initial shots on the line showed really no distance separate between each's front wheel (time is determined based on the front of the wheel crossing the line).

It was shortly determined who won and the winning margin was 7mm (yikes). How did they figure that out? One of the cycling magazines had a short article that explained the technology.

There is a special camera on the finish line that is a "slit" camera where the "film" (in this case sensor) is exposed in a very thin vertical slit. This slit camera's slit is 1 pixel wide and it is capable of shooting 1000 frames/second! This is what allowed the Tour organizers to determine the winner. 1000 fps seems like a lot but not so bad when you think really of how little data is being written in each "exposure" at 1 pixel wide.

Interesting to take an "old" technology and re-invent it using new technology to do a better job of solving a problem :)

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Thanks WMW. I'm using Cyberlink Photo director. It does have a lot of presets, I just haven't learned how to use them yet. I need to take a class or do a tutorial on that program. I tried LR but it seemed less intuitive than this one. I guess it is just what you get used to. LR may have many more functions, I don't really know. That is so cool about the slit camera. 1000 fps must sound like a machine gun going off!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:05 pm

OK, hope I'm not just doing a drive by again. I promise I'll start posting more in general. Apparently, I just need more time to decompress from living in the urban jungle. Anyway, here's a few shots:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:07 pm

A few of the horses:

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Fuffy:

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 pm

They are all lovely Suzon! I love the weeping rock and the forest and you can't go wrong with any photo with equids in them ;). Don't feel bad, life gets busy. The only reason I've had time to get on here lately is I'm recovering from some broken ribs. Can't wait to get out this year with my newest camera and see what I can capture! Thanks for sharing your beautiful artistry!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Jan & PJ wrote:They are all lovely Suzon! I love the weeping rock and the forest and you can't go wrong with any photo with equids in them ;). Don't feel bad, life gets busy. The only reason I've had time to get on here lately is I'm recovering from some broken ribs. Can't wait to get out this year with my newest camera and see what I can capture! Thanks for sharing your beautiful artistry!

Jan & P, I hope you're healing quickly and not going to crazy in the meantime!

That weeping rock is on my way to the horses, who live in a field about 5 miles from our property. When it's raining, the whole right side of the road is dripping fern covered rock and waterfalls. It's stunning! I took that picture just before everything dried up, so that was about the last trickle for the season.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:46 am

++ on the photos with the ponies ;) love the 3 heads all down together. Love the trees with the sunlight peaking out behind.

How's the house "project" going? We, of course as you have time available, will be expecting progress photos.

Is the long term plan to bring the horses home or leave them where they are? 5 miles is nice!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:32 am

Ohhh, love all the photos!! Fuffy is my favorite I think..lol.

My session photos are put into an online gallery that shows it with watermarks and clients can purchase from there. For stuff I put on Facebook, if it goes on my photography page or is of a client, I tend to put a big watermark right over the middle of it and make it obnoxious. Stuff like the dragonflies I'm just putting on my personal page, but still watermarking because I had a few people steal photos of horses that I had taken photos of when someone else owned them, to use in a for sale ad. If you're selling 5 figure horse, you can freaking buy the darn pictures. I reported all of their ads, had words with 2 of them, and had to block them from my pages.

All of my photos are linked from one of my Facebook accounts. The quality is degraded a bit by doing that, but it's not as horrible as some people say. To optimize FB uploads, you can make the photo 2048 on the long side. I haven't noticed a huge difference by not resizing it though.

WMW- There is a trial of Luminar, which I went to download and my SO purchased for me when I walked away, so I'm not sure what all you can do within the trial version. Anyway, in the full version, it will work on it's own, or as a plugin to a few different programs, LR being one of them. You develop the photo in LR with your standard adjustments (if you want), then right click on the photo and hit edit in (I think that's it), and choose Luminar. It will then ask if you want to edit a copy of the photo with LR edits, an unedited copy of the photo, or the original. I've only done it using the copy with LR edits. Once you choose that, it will open the photo in Luminar and you can do adjustments there. Once done with those, hit the apply button in the upper left corner and it will bring that copy back into LR as whatever type file you want. I keep forgetting to change it from a TIFF file, so that's what I've been exporting. You can batch edit in Luminar too, but I haven't played with that yet.

This photo had my standard LR edits, then I used a Luminar filter with adjustments.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 pm

RTR, thanks!

Those dragonflies always look like they're looking right at you! :)

Might give Luminar a try - I'll check out the trial as I didn't catch that when I looked at the web page. In LR, I rarely edit the actual image but make a virtual copy and edit that.

I feel for your frustration/annoyance at people who seem to think it is "ok" to take an image of a photo that someone else took and then post it all over the place, including ads :eek:

More bugs and still waiting for the rodeos (I'm sure you are too :) ).

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”