nothing to see here, move along

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:01 pm

~

there was a woman who spoke
she thought people would enjoy a joke
but people preferred to poke and poke and poke
so it all went up in smoke.

adieu
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: my personal favorite UDBB thread

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:18 pm

I think I missed that one the first time around! :lol: :lol :lol:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I edited your post Chisamba because you quoted Zonderpaard who has told me that NONE of her content can be shown here. So I removed it.

Although this post is quite funny, please do not take anything off UDBB and post here. Lawsuits are being thrown around by various people and really I don't have time, money or inclination to fight them.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:19 pm

I remember that thread and how I laughed. Potential litigation aside, thanks for posting it, Chisamba.

Chisamba

Re: my personal favorite critique

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Sorry I thought it was pleasantly amusing and wanted to share again. :(

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Let me re-phrase. Go ahead and post anything that YOU said here. But other people, please don't.
This IS amusing and I'm fine with posting it just so long as you understand why I removed a certain person's posts from it.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 pm

I thought it was very cute!! Thank you for sharing

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 pm

yes, thank you for sharing!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Chancellor wrote:Let me re-phrase. Go ahead and post anything that YOU said here. But other people, please don't.
This IS amusing and I'm fine with posting it just so long as you understand why I removed a certain person's posts from it.

understood and i will not do it again because i have no idea who might be upset by it or not.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 pm

That is just precious! I love your expression: "I shall now demonstrate piaffe."

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:03 am

lol! I missed that the first time around too! Nice cow :)

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:11 am

I like how both you and the cow are looking the same direction. Very harmonious pair!!

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:28 am

I like how you are attempting a long leg in order to get your leg around a 2000 pound cow!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:27 am

Made me giggle :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:10 am

Did our parents not realize how horse crazy we were as children? I had a goat I rode, got a cow and rode it and FINALLY parents understood and bought me a horse. But what took them so long?

Really cute!

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:47 am

Chancellor wrote:Let me re-phrase. Go ahead and post anything that YOU said here. But other people, please don't.

Maybe for the legalities and safety of the DD site all written content from any posters not contacted for permission to repost their content... should be removed as well?

The picture with the link to click on is sufficient and legally safe.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:22 pm

I agree with CT. It's not fair to paint Zonder and others as the bad guys for pointing out very real legal issues. Perhaps the issue itself should be addressed instead of fingers pointed and blaming. I'd think a person would be grateful to find out in advance that something is an issue and therefore avoid it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:26 pm

happy?

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:23 pm

Look, I have no dog in this fight but some seem to be shooting the messenger. Whether some object to their posts from elsewhere being posted here or on FB is not really the point, you are putting this site in legal jeopardy and potentially causing the new board owner headaches by doing things that are legally and ethically incorrect.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Tuffytown wrote:Look, I have no dog in this fight but some seem to be shooting the messenger. Whether some object to their posts from elsewhere being posted here or on FB is not really the point, you are putting this site in legal jeopardy and potentially causing the new board owner headaches by doing things that are legally and ethically incorrect.

I guess not.

KathyK

Re: nothing to see here, move along

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Chisamba wrote:~

adieu

Well, you're still getting holiday cards whether you like it or not. :P 8-)

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:59 pm

KathyK wrote:

adieu

Yeah! So there! :twisted:

And you're not allowed to FB unfriend me, either! :lol:

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 pm

KathyK wrote:

adieu

Still gettin' a card from me as well!!!!

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:22 am

Chisamba wrote:happy?

Not at all....

I enjoyed the picture, I thought it was cute and it brought back memories of the cows I rode as a child. My favourite was Bossy the Jersey cow.

There was no need to take the picture down... it's legally yours. All you had to do was post the link to the UDBB thread underneath it if you wanted to share all of the posts that went with it.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:32 am

KathyK wrote:

adieu

I just joined up for the card exchange so you might be on my list to send a card to.... woo hoo, it sounds exciting!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:21 am

CanadianTrotter wrote:
Chisamba wrote:happy?

Not at all....

I enjoyed the picture, I thought it was cute and it brought back memories of the cows I rode as a child. My favourite was Bossy the Jersey cow.

There was no need to take the picture down... it's legally yours. All you had to do was post the link to the UDBB thread underneath it if you wanted to share all of the posts that went with it.

Technically, it isn't hers, right? She is in the picture therefore she didn't take it. So technically it belongs to the person who took it not her.

And posting a link to the UDBB thread? Technically, the owner of that board doesn't want people going there anymore. So technically, we shouldn't be going there.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:52 am

Well... technically if the photograph was given to her(only chisamba knows the truth of this) then it's hers to do whatever she wants with.

As far as providing a link to the UDBB... I'm not really clear on this, if there are any lawyers around maybe they could chime in.

If Chris doesn't want people visiting the old UDBB site and removed it from the internet by disallowing a simple search to bring it up, then how did drg get the UDBB link that she provided in another thread on this board? If she somehow managed to hack into it, then yes, what she did id definitely illegal and any and all content taken from that "hacked(?)" site is illegal as well. Isn't there a bunch of content from the site link that drg provided showing up on Facebook?

When registering for an account on the UDBB everyone agreed to these clauses...

"Copyrighted Material: You agree NOT to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you."

AND

"While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised."

It's a complicated mess for sure...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 pm

I did not think the link i posted would evoke any of the concern about litigation that the training thread did, but when it did, I did not want to endanger the new bulletin so I removed it.

Thanks for the support and humor. And threats of Christmas cards. You all are great!
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 am

CT, nothing illegal happened by going to the IP address, no hacking. The IP address is still valid. Anybody can go there.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:48 pm

Rhianon wrote:CT, nothing illegal happened by going to the IP address, no hacking. The IP address is still valid. Anybody can go there.

In this context not quite correct. The owner of the site purposefully changed the DNS to remove access to the site, as people know it, ultimatedressage.com. He may have, foolishly so, left the site up on its old IP for some to illegally access and take content to which they are not entitled, and is not his to give. IF someone went, without express permission to do so, and took that content from what is essentially a closed site, then that person IS "hacking" to get something that they should not have access to. Is it hard to do? No. Nothing says that "hacking" requires difficulty. Using a script to crawl a closed site, is hacking.

No matter what the whiners think, the line has been crossed and anything taken from the old UDBB site and posted to any venue, even if private, is theft of copyrighted Intellectual property. Period! It would be nice if people would stop making excuses for doing the wrong thing.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:50 pm

So, out of curiosity, where do sites like "Wayback Machine" fit in?

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:43 am

Rhianon wrote:CT, nothing illegal happened by going to the IP address, no hacking. The IP address is still valid. Anybody can go there.

I believe you are wrong about this.

When you type in the original Ultimate Dressage site, a page comes up with nothing but sponsored links on it. Therefore Chris had closed the site and disallows viewing this site.

The link that drg provided is a link that takes you straight to the UDBB's Index Page. This means that unless drg had permission from Chris to go in and change whatever she had to in order to create a direct link... she has illegally hacked into the UDBB address.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:47 am

myleetlepony wrote:So, out of curiosity, where do sites like "Wayback Machine" fit in?

The wayback machine does not have the ability to delve into sites like UDBB. It can get the top pages, but not below. (at least not the last I looked) To "harvest" the site, requires a script... which is available... I downloaded it to take a look at what it does, and what it requires. It does need a account to use to walk the site. (anonymous is an account on phpBB) One has the ability and right to contact the wayback machine and have content removed. I believe Karl Mikolka used this to take down copies of his exercises that had been posted many years ago, and which he no longer wanted people to have free access to about 2010 or so.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:24 am

people really have money to throw around in what? senseless copyright litigation? really?

some people need a life

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:19 am

Figgy wrote:people really have money to throw around in what? senseless copyright litigation? really?

some people need a life

No... some people still value what is theirs by law. They do NOT want their name and words in a place such as Facebook where they have no control and no account and will not have such because of the invasion of privacy that such social networks are. There is no litigation required. C&D letters to the right places do the work. Too bad our friends from downunder place so little value on such things. I would think based on postings that they would be at the forefront of such protections. Evidently not.

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:59 pm

digihorse wrote:
Figgy wrote:people really have money to throw around in what? senseless copyright litigation? really?

some people need a life

No... some people still value what is theirs by law. They do NOT want their name and words in a place such as Facebook where they have no control and no account and will not have such because of the invasion of privacy that such social networks are. There is no litigation required. C&D letters to the right places do the work. Too bad our friends from downunder place so little value on such things. I would think based on postings that they would be at the forefront of such protections. Evidently not.

A person has no control over the content of their words or how they are displayed when a person takes them and posts them on other sites. A malicious person could decide to copy and paste bits and parts of what a person says to slander them or put them in a poor light by misquoting them. This has been done many times by certain people on the UDBB.

It is quite simply an illegal invasion of privacy and it is immoral and unethical to take without asking first.

As digihorse said, there is no litigation required. A simple C&D to the proper people will suffice and if the C&D is not honoured then litigation could and in most cases should ensue.

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:14 pm

CanadianTrotter wrote:
digihorse wrote:

some people need a life

A person has no control over the content of their words or how they are displayed when a person takes them and posts them on other sites. A malicious person could decide to copy and paste bits and parts of what a person says to slander them or put them in a poor light by misquoting them. This has been done many times by certain people on the UDBB.

It is quite simply an illegal invasion of privacy and it is immoral and unethical to take without asking first.

As digihorse said, there is no litigation required. A simple C&D to the proper people will suffice and if the C&D is not honoured then litigation could and in most cases should ensue.

...and any of this could be done to what you're saying right now, or at any time in the future, and you might not ever know it. The only reason you're even thinking about it is because UDBB closed down and some people wanted to remember some of the beautiful words written there.

I don't understand the bizarre paranoia and the -quite frankly- overblown sense of importance some of you place on your past writings on UDBB.

There, I said it :roll:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Maple, I couldn't have said it better myself!

Sadly, I am forced to take threats about litigation seriously and therefore cannot host any content from UDBB here.
So, Digihorse, Candian Trotter et al, you have no worry about that happening here.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Maple wrote:I don't understand the bizarre paranoia and the -quite frankly- overblown sense of importance some of you place on your past writings on UDBB.

If you can't be important at least pretend that you are. :-)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:26 pm

kande50 wrote:
Maple wrote:I don't understand the bizarre paranoia and the -quite frankly- overblown sense of importance some of you place on your past writings on UDBB.

Damn, where is that like button?

CanadianTrotter
Herd Member

Postby CanadianTrotter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Chancellor wrote:
kande50 wrote:

Damn, where is that like button?

Resorting to insults because a person wants to protect their privacy?

Some people work in fields where copyright infringement is an ever present danger and the desire for the rights to any and all personal privacy spills over into all other aspects of life.

Why is that so hard to understand or respect?

emmalou
Novice

Postby emmalou » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:54 pm

What is private about a public bulletin board? Anyone at anytime could have gone to the UDBB and pulled whatever content they wanted. You didn't even have to be a member to read.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:08 pm

emmalou wrote:What is private about a public bulletin board? Anyone at anytime could have gone to the UDBB and pulled whatever content they wanted. You didn't even have to be a member to read.

I thought I was the only one thinking this! You put something on a public bulletin board, on the internet, for the whole world to see.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:I thought I was the only one thinking this! You put something on a public bulletin board, on the internet, for the whole world to see.

I don't think it's their privacy they want to protect, but their right to own anything that they might have a right to own. I think it's like resource guarding: protecting things just in case they might become valuable in some way, someday?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Who would have thought that a picture of a young girl on a cow would have started a thread like this?

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Most of the people who are writing (or were writing on UDBB) are NOT writing under their real names. Most of the people who are writing are regional trainers rather than intent on developing a national audience. One has nothing to gain through anonymity and if you're giving advice anonymously then, obviously, you're not expecting to be gainfully employed as an internet instructor unless and until you make arrangements w/a BB to be given a stipend for such advice.

digihorse
Novice

Postby digihorse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:06 pm

emmalou wrote:What is private about a public bulletin board? Anyone at anytime could have gone to the UDBB and pulled whatever content they wanted. You didn't even have to be a member to read.

Correct... and when found was addressed. Having written words in view of the public does NOT remove the author's right of copyright/IP. Having images stolen from one's website just because they are "on the internet" is also not legal. While posted to the UDBB, I, and any one else so inclined, had the ability to edit or remove any of our posts. Same is true here.

Now we have a situation where, people are, without PERMISSION, taking content from a source (closed UDBB), which is now also, WITHOUT PERMISSION, holding said content hostage by preventing the author(s) to have control over same, and threatening to post it in a non-accessible form to FACEBOOK! I do NOT have, nor will I have a Facebook account. Period! I will not have MY content on Facebook, or under the control of Facebook.

I, and others are WELL aware of what we posted on UDBB, and here, AND on the Chronicle Forums.... whose Terms of Service I recommend you all go read, so know and understand that THERE, one DOES give over a license to your posts. Most major forums, DO publish TOS that includes a non-revokable license to the posts of each and every forum member which is transferable to other parties.

IF people would do the right thing, and acknowledge and RESPECT other people's rights, then would not the world be a much nicer place.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Okay...enough on this.
No content from UDBB is to be posted here at DDBB. Whether it was legal or not to take stuff down from UDBB is not for the armchair lawyers and as far as I can see, no laws have been broken here.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”