Day one with Ariel

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Day one with Ariel

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I am on vacation this week. Yesterday started the official Ariel lease. I got to the barn to find the farrier, which is a good thing. The bad thing is that Miss A. does not like having her feet done so she needed mother's little helper. I couldn't ride, so we grazed and groomed and she ate carrots. I walked her through the barn to turn her out and there was a big flapping blue tarp on one of the stalls. She didn't even look at it, and it didn't even startle me. Yes, she probably still had a bit of MLH in her, but I still expected her to at least give it the side eye. This girl is going to boost my confidence in a big way.

I hope to ride today. Trails go all around the property, including a nice long one in front of her pasture, so my plan is to ride her there. Just walking, maybe 2 minutes.

She has a bit of scurf on her hind legs, and some facial hair loss due to fungus. I'm thinking Microtek Spray should help? Any other suggestions?

Of course she is now on Special Care Board v.1, which gets her fly mask on and off, and a fan. An extra $10 a month but so worth it.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: Day one with Ariel

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Of all the people I can think of (besides myself) you need your own barn and farm so you could spoil everyone rotten.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Of all the people I can think of (besides myself) you need your own barn and farm so you could spoil everyone rotten.

I agree! One would be lucky to be Paula's horse.

For scurff-y legs, I am a huge fan of Equiderma. It works very quickly and does not seem to be irritating.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:45 pm

She's already figured out that I am her person. We did a mini trail ride and she tested me with the "nope, I'm backing up" nonsense. I told her "none of that we are going forward." She's in her new stall tonight and is not happy but she will get over it. She is also on night turnout in addition to days, so only in her stall to eat.

She will be a bit UP for the next few days with the stall change so we will spend most of time hanging out. And doing some ground work.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:34 am

Yay!

With as good and zen as Ariel is about life, any reasons you'd suspect she needs "help" to get through a farrier appointment? Could she be uncomfortable?

I am so excited you are enjoying your new gal so much!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:13 am

for scurfy legs, i've found baby oil works very well

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 pm

i have had good results with Microtek for mild scurf. mostly good grooming and and removing the scabbies lets the legs dry and the oxygen get to the spots to kill the anerobes

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:19 am

Leg scurf - my chestnut horse is a bit of a hot house flower about his legs - I use the equifuse citrafoam. As long as he gets his legs shampooed a couple of times a week and hosed the other days, he's good to go. It can blow up fairly quickly if you don't stay on top of it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”