Herd Member

Re: VHS opinions??

Postby orono » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Cute boy, what are your goals for him?

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:06 pm

Looks like a TB to me? Nice horse overall. Looks to need a quiet rider.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Cute! You'll be battling his neck if you're wanting to really "do" dressage, for an all around happy hacker he might be super if that's what you want. I know nothing about his seller but the website tells me they're horse traders so if you like him, vet the snot out of him, pull blood and have it stored by PPE vet, just in case.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:16 pm

He looks sweet, but is a bit on the downhill side, and though it doesn't seem as apparent when riding, I noticed some underneck muscle when the rider was mounting. Depends on what you're looking to do with him.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Purely from an analytical perspective his under neck is attatched a bit low and his stifles stand a bit taller than his elbows. Ergo his build is slightly downhill. This will make riding him into balance important as his training progresses.

He seems to take a decent length of leg, looks to be easy natured, is attractive and able to move in good rhythm.

Worth a look depending on your aspirations and riding skills

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:02 am

I say he's worth a look. I learned a long time ago that dressage is a sport that will improve any horse if done correctly.
I have seen pretty decent FEI horses that were put together by committee, and I have seen beautifully conformed
horses who could not get out of their own way.

If the horse is sound, reliable and amenable to training, I say have at it.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:36 am

Ditto what redsoxluvr said. I did note that the kid mounting was veerrryyy careful; but, I'm the type that would still try him out because he might just click with you.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 am

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate your comments.

Orono, StraightForward and Chisamba, I am looking to do low level dressage with him. By doing "low level,' I'd be happy getting him to second and showing with good scores. I also am very much a believer in the "journey." So, I am happy to take the time and put in the work. That being said, I am 61...so, it's not like saying I'm in my 20s and have the rest of my life. I also want to enjoy the ride. Right now, I am half leasing an older horse. I have a little bit of anxiety, and the horse I am leasing has been wonderful for me. He has the best personality and is as steady and reliable as they come. The deal breakers for me are personality/temperament and trailer loading. The trailer loading is because I mostly travel by myself and want to take the horse to shows, lessons, and clinics. I also would prefer a horse that can be kept barefoot. I'll do front shoes if I have to, but the barn owner where I board definitely prefers no back shoes.

Quelah, I'm of the opinion of Redsoxluvr and Exvet. I, too, have seen some pretty dramatic "makeovers" in a horse that is put into a conscientious dressage training program. Exvet, I noticed the person mounting carefully, too, but one of the clinicians I clinic with is very picky about how people mount up - not wanting to see someone "plop" into the saddle. If I go see Huck, I will keep that in mind.

Quelah, you and I are on the same page as far as blood samples go, I consider them part of any prepurchase where I don't know the horse.

There are a couple of others I am considering. If I go see Huck, it will probably be this Friday. I'll keep everyone posted.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:51 am

Definitely go and see him, and let us know how it goes!! :D

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 am

I also noted how carefully he was mounted - that was a bit troubling for me. He did throw his neck up a bit when she very carefully sat on him. It was pretty subtle but I went "huh" to myself.

That and the contact issues could mean he has back issues. Or that he is tricky to mount which is not something I personally like in a horse. That rider is super light/petite, so it seemed overly cautious, like perhaps he has demonstrated some behavior at the mounting block.

For me, this is a great all around horse. He wouldn't be my choice for low level dressage because you are going to be fighting that contact/neck issue. If you want to do second level dressage, I would probably look for a horse that carries himself a bit more naturally round over the topline.

But if you want a fun all around horse, he looks like one (assuming he doesn't do something dramatic when you put your foot in the stirrup)!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:04 am

Or it could be something as simple as the sales barn not having a saddle that fits him correctly.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:41 am

Or it could be a rider who gets on a lot of different horses and mounts every one respectfully.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:09 am

Could be all of those things. Could be something else. I would just be a bit concerned.

Like I said, looks like a fun all around horse. The mounting thing just made me go "huh".

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:59 pm

EP, I thought same thing initially for the mount, however, I kind of also think people mounting with shorter stirrups do mount that way a bit more. It is easier to settle quietly when your legs are draped a bit more on the horse IMO. But notice she allowed the reins to be loose entire time so I take that as a good sign that he was pretty quiet at the mounting block.

If I were looking for lower level, I'd definitely be looking at this horse. He looks quiet (she's able to use leg without him scooting off), cute mover, nothing horrible stands out and my gut feels good about him. He may be a really fun horse to do all around on - some dressage, some hacks, hunter paces taking the smaller jumps, just all arounder but not necessarily great at anything. He just looks like a good boy. At seven, he doesn't appear over used/taxied and didn't appear to be ill about the work. Instead, he just looks like he's just getting to the idea of contact. But yes, I'd also be one that would vet him completely! He's a cute find. I kind of find him priced a bit high though. I'd think $3500-$4k range instead and the reasoning being confirmation (not going to be outstanding at the sports without a whole lot of time/careful training), not being a tidy jumper, not that far along in his training.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:59 pm

What i noticed more was the complete absence of upward transitions in the video....that made me wonder even more than the super quiet mounting, though I did notice that too. I also know folks who ride multiples that get on all horses like they are made of glass, just to be extra safe, so that could be lots of things. The lack of purposeful, requested upward transitions in the video makes me think they may not be too polished, thus the editing...though it could be more than that. Just something to ask to see someone ELSE do with him before you get on. :D

I think he's cute. At 45 years old, reliable is waaaay high on my list now and gets way more credit than score potential in a show. That said, 5 months ago I adopted a horse who I haven't even sat on yet due to wanting to really trust that I have established reliable, so I guess in my world "reliable" can be a sliding scale. :lol: Oh, and to add, at the rescue, under saddle, he was anything but impressive...not even really average. But since having him at home and adding in the alternative therapies I have done with my other boy, I have seen movement out of him in the field that flies in the face of what is was when I met him. Competitive dressage show movement. Jaw dropping movement. And I never would have guessed it. Understanding that may/may not be the way it goes under saddle, it was still a lovely and unexpected surprise....so you never know.

And, my enabling ends here. 8-) Hope you find an awesome horse that is exactly what you need...whether you realize that was what you actually needed or not. ;)

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm

exploding pony wrote:Could be all of those things. Could be something else. I would just be a bit concerned.

Like I said, looks like a fun all around horse. The mounting thing just made me go "huh".

I agree. Also, my first impression overall, without hearing the OP's goals for him is "He's fussy in the bridle". She wasn't asking much of him, he didn't have a lot to focus on, so maybe he was just playing around. Maybe he was started in a western curb and still tosses the snaffle, I don't know. But this would be something I'd pay attention to if I went to see him.
'

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:38 pm

Seems like that barn does a lot of OTT rehab, I suspect the careful mounting is just a habit from that.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:50 pm

He looks like he might be a good all-arounder if he learns how to accept contact. I also agree he is downhill. He looks Morgan-ish/QH-ish.
I also noticed the mounting reaction he had (raising the head). I think he is worth a look but I don't think he is worth 5500.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”