Leather v. Ultrasuede?

Wicky
Herd Member

Leather v. Ultrasuede?

Postby Wicky » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:39 pm

No, not a kinky topic! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need a new sofa setup, and the sale is over on Saturday. I foresee having cats and dogs in my future. Experiences with leather furniture? Does Ultrasuede attract cats less than leather?

I do want this stuff to last a LONG time.

TIA!

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Leather v. Ultrasuede?

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:26 pm

I had leather and my small dog would jump up and down on it and I never had an issue - also, the hair slides right off! LOL But, it does still get between the cushions.

Just test the leather before you buy it to make sure it doesn't scratch and make sure it's good quality.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 pm

I have furniture with NuBuck leather. It is less finished. It has character and you can see the dings and 'scars' in each hide. I dare say, one of the cows that donated to my couch looked like it at some point had a snake bite. That less finish and character makes scratches invisible...they become part of the hide. My cats haven't scratched the furniture intentionally but there are a few on the back (now covered with w quilt) and cushions from kitty speed sessions and banking off the furniture :roll: .

It is soft but doesn't retain the hair at all.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:53 pm

i have leather and would not get anything else, my dogs jump on the furniture, i have bull terriers, so they are fairly heavy. I find the leather really holds up well, is easy to clean, and two of my couches are about thirteen years old, i have one newer one. it holds up to hair, normal wear and tear, ie their nails do not scratch, of course i do not let them chew or scratch, but i like my leather furniture.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:44 pm

We have a real leather sofa in my husband's den that has tolerated abuse by pets and humans alike incredibly well over the past 18 years--it's the nubuck kind also, and has a lot of "added character." The cats don't scratch it, whereas my Ethan Allen fabric covered sofas are apparently irresistible and look pretty beat up--but they are also over 20 years old...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:06 pm

I find ultra suede comfortable (it is not as cold as leather can be in winter) for humans but terrible for gathering hair from creatures.

So we have leather furniture...

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:12 pm

My daughter has a leather sofa that was quite expensive. Unfortunately, the leather was marred by their dog. (A pug. This is not a big dog.) Nail scratches. They buy fabric furniture now.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:31 pm

I will be getting Cornish Rex kittens, so the shedding isn't that big of a problem, but if I get my mom's MiKi as well, I will have a very small long hair dog that hates to have his nails clipped. But since he doesn't jump on furniture, he isn't the problem (other than shedding on Ultra Suede. I am mostly afraid of the kitten's claws.

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:20 am

We have a leather couches and they are great for hair, easy clean etc. Not so good for kittens though. Our couches have been thru 3 kittens now and it shows. Kitten couldn't quite jump the height up so would claw in and scramble up and they would play chasey across them etc. So quite a few scratches. Now they are adults its not a problem and they don't use them as scratching posts etc. The cleaning/conditioning only restores them so much. I dont' really mind that much though as they were 2nd hand and the entertainment of the cats is worth it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Niki wrote:We have a leather couches and they are great for hair, easy clean etc. Not so good for kittens though. Our couches have been thru 3 kittens now and it shows. Kitten couldn't quite jump the height up so would claw in and scramble up and they would play chasey across them etc. So quite a few scratches. Now they are adults its not a problem and they don't use them as scratching posts etc. The cleaning/conditioning only restores them so much. I dont' really mind that much though as they were 2nd hand and the entertainment of the cats is worth it.

I had the same experience with the kittens. Their little claws pretty really dinged up a leather wingback chair. It was still usable as a chair, of course, but it looked awful with all those scratches. I wouldn't do a leather furniture/kitten combination again.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Off to order Ultrasuede! :D Thanks, all!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:18 pm

I almost bought a faux leather look living room set this past year for the same reasons (dogs and cat in house). It looked like real leather, but it was something like the Ultrasuede material. If you like the look of leather, you see if you can find something in that material to see if you like it.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:41 am

Well, I put in the order for an Ultra suede material but now I have to pick the color - not sure that the color palate I like (raspberry) goes with the floor (cherry). And I do not like oranges or yellows, which do go with the floor.... Sigh.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 am

Yeah BUT----When do you get the kittens?!

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:31 pm

LOL - Jan-Feb, I think!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Wicky wrote:Well, I put in the order for an Ultra suede material but now I have to pick the color - not sure that the color palate I like (raspberry) goes with the floor (cherry). And I do not like oranges or yellows, which do go with the floor.... Sigh.

Don't worry about the floor. Get what you like and if it really bothers you, put an area rug in front of it.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”