Trail riding in the Pyrenees mountains

AmityBee
Herd Member

Trail riding in the Pyrenees mountains

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:40 am

It was marvellous! No surprise, really. ;) And even though I've been back for over a month, I still havend worked my way through all the pictures that were taken on the trip (about 3000-4000, everybody was really great about sharing their files).

We, a work/riding friend, and I had booked the “Adventure Trail” with “cheval-en-pyrenees”, two weeks of trail riding. 220km through the Pyrenees Mountains spending the nights either in Gîtes (guest houses) or out in the mountains in tents.

It was a wonderful experience! So much fun! It was a real adventure, challenging at times but never too much to handle. We rode on Mérens horses or Castillon, both native breeds to the Pyrenees. Sturdy little horses, similar to the British Fell or Dales ponies, mostly black (the Mérens) or dark bay, bay in color (the Castillon).

We flew from Germany to Toulouse where we were picked up at the airport. Most of the group was from Germany or Austria and on the same flight as us, so we met everyone at the airport before getting in the van that would take us the two hour drive to Camurac, the starting (and final) point of our trail riding adventure. There were nine people in the group (plus our guide and a cook/driver), age 28 to 50, mostly women, two men.

Most days our luggage was transported to our next over-night stop by car, by our cook and driver Clovis. But on some days, when we were staying out in the mountains overnight, everything we needed was packed up in our saddle bags and onto “Tartine” the pack mule. (la belle mule, because she was very pretty).

The accommodations on this trip were (mostly) clean but very simple. We slept in rooms of three to 8 people, mostly bunk beds with shared bathrooms. The food was very french. Most days Clovis cooked for us, he also prepped our lunches every day. But no matter if at a gîte, a hotel or the camp, cooked by Clovis or somebody else the food was always really good and plenty.

Breakfast was always a simple affaire; we got up early to feed the horses first and then got back to some coffee, bread, jam, honey, orange juice and the occasional croissant. Lunch was a packed lunch we took with us in the saddle bags. It was always some kind of salad with vinaigrette, bread, jambon (ham) and cheese, a simple dessert, served with, of course, red wine. After arriving at our destination in the afternoons, there usually was a bit of cake or cookies and some refreshments, soda or a beer. And dinner was always a big affaire, aperitif, appetizer or salade, main course, cheese, fruit or dessert.

These were the basics from our lovely trip, from now on I'm going to kill this tread with pictures:

Meeting the herd:
P1030777.JPG
P1030777.JPG (229.44 KiB) Viewed 14908 times

Yep, they all basically look the same... "My" horse for the two weeks was a gelding called Levantin, and I'm not sure if he's in thet picture or not... :D

On day one grooming and tacking up took some time, since there was a certain way to put on pad, saddle, breastplate and crupper we all had to learn first.

Done:
ready day two.JPG
ready day two.JPG (180.12 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

Taking off, day one:
take off first day.JPG
take off first day.JPG (226.57 KiB) Viewed 14908 times
Last edited by AmityBee on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Re: Trail riding in the Pyrenees mountains

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:54 am

Most days we had the same routine. After feeding the horses in the mornings and heaving breakfast ourselfs, we would tack up and ride until lunch time, take a lunch break in some beautiful spot and then ride again for another few hours in the after noon.

We usually untacked the horses at lunch time, unless it looked like rain.

There are 10 horses in this picture:
10 Horses.JPG
10 Horses.JPG (239.59 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

Lunch break:
lunch break first friday.jpg
lunch break first friday.jpg (216.6 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

The landscape we rode through was beautiful. Mostly "mountainy" but very different all the same:
ladscapeszwei.jpg
ladscapeszwei.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:03 am

The horses were amazingly sure footed!

Rockyroad.JPG
Rockyroad.JPG (236.53 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

ohren abgrund.jpg
ohren abgrund.jpg (183.56 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

View day one second week.JPG
View day one second week.JPG (243.65 KiB) Viewed 14907 times
Last edited by AmityBee on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:08 am

But we did not always ride. We had to walk quite a bit too. Downhill only, thankfully.
I usually let Levatin find his way by himself a made sure *I* was getting down safely myself...

selber laufen.jpg
selber laufen.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

selber laufen 2.jpg
selber laufen 2.jpg (169.6 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

...after each descent, checking shoes and nails!
Checking shoes.JPG
Checking shoes.JPG (213.04 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:21 am

Even though we were happy whenever we encountered indoor plumbing and a hot shower, the highlight of the trip were the nights spend up in the mountains in our little tents.

IMG_3619.JPG
IMG_3619.JPG (214.48 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

CIMG2721.JPG
CIMG2721.JPG (136.26 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

Last camp unpacking.JPG
Last camp unpacking.JPG (149.55 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:31 am

When spending the nights up in the mountain we had "Tartine" with us. A lovely mule. She carried the tents and supplies while our horses had to carry our personal stuff (sleeping bag, clothes) plus their own food.

Tartine .JPG
Tartine .JPG (242.46 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

View with mule.JPG
View with mule.JPG (250.18 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG (146.97 KiB) Viewed 14907 times

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am

Wow!!! That was fabulous!! Thanks so much for sharing all those photos.
Loved all of them, and especially view with mule :)
Really enjoyed reading and seeing your pics.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 am

Great pix! Did you get good weather for the entire ride?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:16 am

The weather was surprisingly good. We did get a few thunderstorms, but only at night. I think I wore my rain gear once on horseback for less than an hour.

Though, we did manage to get soaking wet once, on day two, AFTER arriving at our destination, while putting the horses away. It just started to pour down like crazy. I think, despite wearing raincoat and all, I was soaked through to my underwear in less than 5 minutes :D Thankfully we were staying at a hotel that night with hot showers and enough room to put our gear up to dry... In a tent, that would have been a horrible night. :shock:

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Incredible and beautiful ride! What beautiful horses and mule! I love how they are loose and follow the group knowing their job. Thanks for posting these beautiful pics. I get to live vicariously through these posts - pictures. :D

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:37 pm

AmityBee wrote:The weather was surprisingly good. We did get a few thunderstorms, but only at night. I think I wore my rain gear once on horseback for less than an hour.

You were very lucky!

The storms were what put me off of horse camping. We used to do a lot of it, but I hated the idea of the horses having to stand out in the storms while we stayed dry in the tents. I was mostly worried that a tree would fall on them, but as often happens when I'm tired, I'd also get into my sleeping bag and start worrying about them getting loose, or that they had to stand up all night after working all day, or ....

If I wanted to do more of that kind of riding I think I'd go on the inn to inn rides, where the horses get good accommodations, too. I'd still find something to worry about, but at least I'd know that my horse was okay. :-)

I love that you were out far enough that you could turn the horses and mule loose, though.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Wow, that looks incredible! Thank you for sharing.

Did you have any beginner riders, or is there a certain experience level required? I might be able to talk my husband into it; he's fit and athletic, but has only been on a horse a few times.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:16 pm

StraightForward wrote:Wow, that looks incredible! Thank you for sharing.

Did you have any beginner riders, or is there a certain experience level required? I might be able to talk my husband into it; he's fit and athletic, but has only been on a horse a few times.

You could probably start with a day ride and then go on to an overnight, and by then you'd know whether the dh was interested in doing more?

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:22 pm

StraightForward wrote:Did you have any beginner riders, or is there a certain experience level required? I might be able to talk my husband into it; he's fit and athletic, but has only been on a horse a few times.

Silvain, our guide and the owner of "Cheval-en-pyrenees" does offer trails for beginners as well (for childeren too). I think the horses were mostly beginner friendly, but this specific ride was for experienced riders only since there was a lot of riding (5 to 6 hours/day) on difficult terrain with quite a bit of cantering and even some jumping.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:21 pm

kande50 wrote:The storms were what put me off of horse camping. We used to do a lot of it, but I hated the idea of the horses having to stand out in the storms while we stayed dry in the tents. I was mostly worried that a tree would fall on them, but as often happens when I'm tired, I'd also get into my sleeping bag and start worrying about them getting loose, or that they had to stand up all night after working all day, or ....

I would worry about my own horse for sure, these horses on the other hand, not a bit. They practically grow up in these mountains. They are turned out each summer, largely unsupervised and roaming freely until they are old enough to be ridden. I really don't think they would appreciate a barn as much as your or my horse would do. ;)

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:31 pm

That sounds like an absolutely amazing experience. Thank you so much for sharing!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Just wonderful photos--thanks SO much for sharing your adventure!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:04 pm

Incredible pictures, thank you so much for sharing. I'm in love with the stunning mule!! Must have been an amazing adventure. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:08 pm

i too loved the photos, the horses all look very healthy and content. Horses can lie down on tie lines, if they want to. and yes some horses are more comfy outdoors than in.

thank you for sharing

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure with us!! I enjoyed it very much. I am not a big fan of camping or sharing a room with 8 other people so I am not sure that aspect would work for me, but I am a spoiled city girl. lol
It has been a long time since I was on a riding vacation.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:28 am

What an amazing adventure! Beautiful pictures.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”