I did not love Ariel tonight

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I did not love Ariel tonight

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:19 am

She was not cooperative under saddle. I had feeling something was up when she had a ton of hay left in her stall. Usually she has hoovered it up. She was good at the mounting block. The biggest issue is that she falls on her left shoulder and comes off the rail. Tonight she was really bad, and kicked out at another horse. I got after her for that. And she wouldn't pick up the canter (which is my problem).

I also worked on keeping a lighter contact and she was happier. We also have the halt issue to work on. As in she ignores my aids and I hate to pull on her mouth.

So I quit on a good note, we untacked, she got her treats, went back in her stall, had more treats, did a huge dump, and started eating her hay.

Not one of my best rides, but I kissed her lots and told her I was a cr@p rider.

Flight

Re: I did not love Ariel tonight

Postby Flight » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:50 am

They definitely have good and bad days like we do, don't they.
I try not to let the bad days bother me (either mine or theirs) and just work on a little bit, or something easy and hope the next day is better. Horses!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:36 am

Sounds like it wasn't rider error, sounds like she didn't feel good.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Yeah, I don't think she felt 100%. That's why I didn't push it. The vet will be out next week and I'm going to ask about ulcers (the standard CoH answer to "what is wrong with my horse?") The vet doesn't have a scope though. I'm thinking of putting Miss A. on a gut supplement. Her tummy gurgles a lot.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:04 am

Will she eat Tums? You can give her a handful before a ride and see if that helps. It's safe to try and if she does have acid in her tummy or ulcers, it can help. If it helps a lot, you can talk to your vet about ulcer treatments.

Some horses need a little bit of hay in the a.m. before their grain to sop up the overnight acid that develops.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:11 pm

It sounds like there's something physically bothering her - like others said. I hope you get that sorted out, because otherwise she will be grumpy towards others - just like us, when we're feeling bad and our tolerance and patience grows thin.

For the halting issue -

make sure when you get her halted, it becomes a reward for her. As in - when she halts, give her long rein, and just sit there, pet her, praise her. I think I remember the ODGs saying "light up a cigarette and smoke it" before moving on. Point being - this will make it easier for her to accept, and be obedient about. Use voice if needed - I think I remember you saying you were doing that anyway. She needs to get her mind wound down and relax after the halt, be happy about it.

My mare used to make a screeching stop when my phone started ringing in my pocket. She learned that the sound meant a break time :) Not sure if it's so good, but it made for a funny moment when I was on a lesson once - the teacher's phone rang and my mare stopped immediately. I about fell off laughing so hard :)

Later on, when she becomes better about it, you build on it. You just need to get her off the "fighting the halt" -mode!
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:54 pm

My vet just posted on their FB page that they are getting a gastroscope! Guess who will be first in line??????

I wish I still smoked. I would definitely light up and make her stand. She's fine to stand in the middle of the arena because she knows she's done. It's halting other places. She'll stand, the issue is getting her to halt.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:28 pm

My old boss used to dig out his can of snuff instead of going the smoke route, it helped the youngsters he was training to figure out there's no hurry to go anywhere, just RELAX.

You could maybe dig out some candy for yourself and the horse - like peppermints...... :)
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Oh she already knows the crinkle means peppermints. Maybe I could teach her halt by crinkling a wrapper.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm pretty sure she'd learn it really fast :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Oh, she learned it today! One crinkle and all movement ceased. She is so effen smart.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Well, there ya go.

Now add a "whoa" and your regular halt that you do before the crinkle.... and you're all set. She'll learn those come before the crinkle, and stop before you get to the crinkle part... and you're all set :)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”