Horses communicating with people via signs

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Horses communicating with people via signs

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:30 am

Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: Horses communicating with people via signs

Postby Kelo » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:03 pm

I am pretty sure if I taught my horse this he would wear out the "more blanket" sign, and end up with about 20 blankets on when it hit 45 degrees.

He is the biggest wimp I have ever met; seriously horse, it is not that cold out! :roll:

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:26 pm

I though this was really interesting:

When horses realized that they were able to communicate with the trainers, i.e. to signal their wishes regarding blanketing, many became very eager in the training or testing situation. Some even tried to attract the attention of the trainers prior to the test situation, by vocalizing and running towards the trainers, and follow their movements. On a number of such occasions the horses were taken out and allowed to make a choice before its regular turn, and signalled that they wanted the blanket to be removed. It turned out that the horses were sweaty underneath the blanket.

It's in the link within the original article ( http://www.appliedanimalbehaviour.com/a ... 68-1591(16)30219-2/fulltext )
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for this!

My favourite part:

The article mentions one young test subject in the group named Blue, who seemed to simply enjoy putting the humans to work; he always selected the symbol to have his blanketing status changed and needed some extra temperature conditioning so that he would understand that this form of entertainment could lead to consequences for his own thermal comfort.

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Rhianon wrote:
My favourite part:

The article mentions one young test subject in the group named Blue, who seemed to simply enjoy putting the humans to work; he always selected the symbol to have his blanketing status changed and needed some extra temperature conditioning so that he would understand that this form of entertainment could lead to consequences for his own thermal comfort.

There's always at least one clown in the bunch. :-)

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 pm

I found this really fascinating and would love to try and learn it with my own horses. To me it shows just how much more we could communicate and how much animals put up with our ignorance.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”