Barn update

Amado
Herd Member

Barn update

Postby Amado » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Still waiting for the barn to be built! Ground work is done, fence is almost done, lumber is here, just need the carpenters. Horse is safely somewhere else, but boy it would be nice to have him home before the snow falls so he can get used to his pasture. and so the stupid bandage changes wouldn't take so long! Here's what it looks like now:

We got the run-in shed done (it was supposed to be temporary housing for Rico until the barn was finished, but then he got hurt and can't come home til the barn is done because I need a dry place to keep him when the bandage is on). So we decided to get the first load of hay into it, since I was worried by the time the hayloft was finished, the weather might not make hay easy to transport. 131 bales loaded on the trailer, and put in the shed. (And after, I felt like I was too old for all this work! :lol: ) Keep your fingers crossed that it stays good (it was very dry to begin with, and it's up on pallets) We had to stop once on the way home and add an extra strap!

Here's the shed - while I was hanging the waxed canvas tarps (they are supposed to breath) a 10 x 12 and a 10 x 8 so that there is overlap that the snow can't get in. Or that's the plan, anyway. I imagine I'll be moving it down to the barn by toboggan at some point!

and after all the hay was in. Just barely fit. 12 x 16' shed, 7 feet tall (inside) at back, 10' at front.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Barn update

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Good work! I love my waxed tarp. Used it as a boat cover. It's heavy and has mold spots on it, but has held up well. I've learned to always use two pallets or put a tarp (cheap one) under pallets, as even on cement the hay that sticks through can wick moisture up into the lower bales. Keep an eye out for that.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:51 pm

It's very exciting to watch the progress of barns. I wouldn't have the mental fortitude or patience to do it. Will Rico be getting a companion once he is home?

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:57 pm

I think he will probably need a companion, but we are going to try without first, if he can last until spring, so I can actually spend time looking for something suitable that my husband to go trail riding with us on, instead of taking whatever I can find now, that would be great. We are not exactly in an area where there are lots of horses!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm

I rode today! I got on him a couple of weeks ago - briefly, to see what he felt like - (because sometimes they look fine but feel off) all felt good - so today I got on and rode around for about 15 minutes - the arena where he is boarded temporarily is not used for riding now (private place with babies and retired horses) so the footing is a little packed and hard, I didn't do much, mostly walk a little trot, a little lateral, and a couple of canter departs - all the buttons still work! What a good boy he was, he doesn't get nearly as much turnout as he's used to, and I got on cold - and he behaved so well, no stupid stuff! He hasn't seen a mirror in ages, so this is his best "who's that horse over there?!" look.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:55 pm

glad for the good update!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Adding to this. Barn is STILL not done! But they are close. Winter has arrived with a vengeance:

Barn still needs siding, but the roof is on (first photo is from before the big storm):

Insides are almost done, stalls are up - they are working on the walls of the aisle and the tackroom - we decided to insulate the downstairs, so there would be an option to heat later if the cold makes me insane or somebody wants to turn it into a shop down the road. I put in a garage door because we get so much snow for so long and it is so cold here that keeping a slider unstuck is almost impossible.

It's been a bit like a runaway train that I can't get off of - the builder (who is used to doing nice homes) has not done a barn before (and neither have I) and I have overbuilt some things, I think - with materials that were too expensive - he convinced me that shiplap (for the tack room and aisle) was cheaper than the OSB board (they call it Aspenite here) but watching them I realize that installation is taking a lot longer. *sigh* I have been so paranoid about metal siding because of the accident - that we ended up with tongue and groove a lot of places that we probably didn't need - I have no idea if it will hold up (though I have rubber mats that I will put up if he starts to damage the walls) I can't seal or stain any of it until the weather warms up, so I hope he doesn't do do much damage until then. (He's not home yet, I won't bring him until they are out of there)

We have so much snow, even more since this photo. That area outside of the overhang was going to be a paddock, but there is NO WAY in the winter that will work, all that snow slides off the roof and it's like a ski hill - so the paddock will just be under the overhang, I think! I can move those corral fences around, so I could change it up in the summer. I still have to attach the fence to the barn.

I managed to find some used stall doors and all their hardware from a barn that was being disassembled - all the bars and doors already built - at a much cheaper cost than buying new hardware, so that was good. I bought 6 for the price of 5, and only used 4, so we have extra pieces in case something breaks. I now completely understand why it costs so much money to board a horse, this has been WAY more costly thane we thought it would be, but building for snow load and hay storage in a super cold and wet place on a hill - holy crap. If I ever do this again, I'm buying flat property someplace dry and warm...!!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:01 pm

It's looking great Amado! Nothing like a cozy barn in winter.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Nothing like snow-slide to make you think about door (and vehicle) placement! :lol:

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:42 pm

The photos are really beautiful, in spite of all the snow! The barn is coming along nicely, and I'm sure you'll love it once it's all finished!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Looks wonderful! And from far away in a warmer climate, the snow makes it look like a holiday card. :D

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 pm

You have some great Christmas card photos there ;) Agree, once weather gets consistently warm (July 2017??), clean and lightly sand down the T&G and apply the spar urethane and you'll be good to go. Good that you are getting photos of all the stages; over time you'll forget where a wire runs or what is behind those walls just when you need to know! And just think, with all the $$ you saved buying used stall doors/hdwre, it offsets the costs of other materials you had to splurge on! Circular reasoning at its best.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:39 pm

The first picture of snowy trees is calendar worthy. As is the view from between his ears!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:22 pm

I feel your pain Amado. Our garage was started in October with a supposed time frame of 6 weeks to complete. We are almost at the end of December and the damned thing STILL isn't done!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:18 pm

That is a beautiful barn.

I understand what you mean about the extra costs of building in snow country. All those extra roof trusses really add up.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:53 pm

Here's today's progress - tackroom is finished! (Except at some point i will seal the walls with something clear - I really like the light wood. Very tall ceilings - almost 10 feet, so lots of space for shelves up high where I can store blankets while not in use (and other horse things I've collected that I *might* need someday. :D )

The same wood is going on the aisle wall opposite the stalls. It's not done yet. (This is where I probably should have just put OSB board.)

And they started on the siding!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 pm

It looks great! Think how much you are increasing your property value with a high end barn. . .

Tongue/groove makes great stall dividers, it's very strong. We've lost one board over 15 years when the 17.2 behemoth got cast but self rescued.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:32 am

Wood looks so much nicer than OSB and if you varnish it you can clean it easily. I used rough cut lumber in a few places in my barn and wish I hadn't. It's a pain to keep dusted and cobwebs off of it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:29 pm

It may be taking longer than you like, but that's going to be a beautiful, usable space!

I'm planning a nearly identical layout for our barn -- large overhang, hay loft, stair access, off center aisle. Instead of the tack room, I'm planning a third stall. The long wall opposite the stalls will be a full wall of tack/feed compartments with sliding doors.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm

It is really beautiful and I think you will be happy with those choices that you made in the long run.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:27 pm

heddylamar wrote:It may be taking longer than you like, but that's going to be a beautiful, usable space!

I'm planning a nearly identical layout for our barn -- large overhang, hay loft, stair access, off center aisle. Instead of the tack room, I'm planning a third stall. The long wall opposite the stalls will be a full wall of tack/feed compartments with sliding doors.

That's a great idea. The weather up here in northern maine (can get to 20-30 below zero in the winter and we average about 95 inches of snow a winter !) dictated a lot of what I did. That's why the overhang is so big (12 x 36). I ended up putting the yard faucet (one of those frost free ones) IN the tackroom - not because I worried about it freezing, (though our frost line is something like 6 feet deep, so it's possible) but because I wanted to be able to heat the tackroom to just above freezing and keep the hose that I used to fill the water buckets unfrozen. I debated putting in automatic waterers, but I've been places where they froze and/or leaked and dealt with what a disaster that is in sub zero temps! Figured heated buckets would be easier.

The other thing that I didn't show is that they have built trap doors in the loft - one over each stall - so I can throw the hay down from up there, and that way once it's put up there I don't have to move it again. Really looking forward to that part (right now my hay is up the hill and I'm going to have to get it down by sled!!)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Wow, that is a quality barn underway. I agree that you will be happy with those choices in the long run.

And I see what you mean about the snow dump off the shed roof :-0 Amazingly, I grew up in a place that averaged 120 inches of snow a year. I'm very impressed by all of you that deal with horse care in those environments, as I am now a wimpy southerner.

My old barn could throw hay down into mangers from the loft. They found it very handy.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:12 pm

Wow just have to say those photos are beautiful!!
I can't imagine what it's like to live and work with so much snow, and I assume there's some awful weather to deal with, but days like that look amazing!
Your barn looks fabulous, I love it :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:04 am

Winters are much milder in MD, and with a fully insulated barn I have no need for heating. The trap doors are a must -- convenient for me, much simpler for the non-horse husband, plus no hay in the barn aisle.

I'm planning a similarly sized overhang. We have no natural shelter in the pastures, so the overhang will serve as a run in, with the equipment garage forming another wall on the prevailing wind side. Overhead fans will provide relief from the summer bugs and heat.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:04 pm

They are finishing up on the inside, they *finally* got the rest of the outside finished a couple of days ago! Contractor painted the hayloft doors from some leftover paint he had - he was bummed it didn't quite match, but I'm ok with it - they doors open inward (there are two) and I can easily repaint the tan if I decide I want a better match.

We've had so much snow and ice - it's been above freezing during the day some, and my husband moved mountains of snow from below the barn to the front yard to try to get stuff to melt quicker (we had some drainage issues, the lower garage started to flood when it rained last weekend). This is our first winter in far northern Maine, and we are learning a lot about snow management through mistakes! Like we weren't removing the snow that was falling off the barn roof - and it's part of the reason we had a a drainage issue! Thats under the barn overhang, before the 8 hours of tractor time moving snow - those gates are 5' tall! (And I thought I was going to be able to use that space on the other side of the panels as a winter paddock. HA!) Rico is still at my friends house, he won't come home til the snow is melted from the barnyard - SO many screws and nails keep showing up with the melting.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow - that is a lot of snow still! But your barn is beautiful.

We put new metal siding on my shed row barn last fall. The guys were trying to be careful, but they still dropped nails and screws. I have a magnet on a handle that I use for occasional sweeps; some of what I collect is from the original construction.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:34 pm

I love the colors. Miss A's official colors are tan and hunter green. Why did I think you were in NC????? Are you going to build an indoor?

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Your barn is beautiful. Wow - that snow is really deep! Ditto - get a large magnet to go over the area to pick up any nails, screws, metal bits. It is not worth the headaches if your horse steps on something. Looking forward to more pics after the snow melt. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Your barn looks lovely! The colours are great and wow that is an amazing amount of snow :O

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes, I have a long magnet on wheels, but we just ordered a more powerful one to make sure i get everything. So many little metal bits - spirals curls of the siding as they were cutting it - only thing that worries me is the little nails they used for the roof edging are aluminum. And dark green! So I have to see those and pick them up by hand.

No indoor - the barn was already too expensive!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”