Yes, I wasn't in the mood for riding today but this is taking things a little too far...

AmityBee
Herd Member

Yes, I wasn't in the mood for riding today but this is taking things a little too far...

Postby AmityBee » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:33 pm

I have a cold but couldn't stay home from work. So, I admit that I was looking for a good reason not to ride, when I got one of those dreadful calls from our BO. They never call!!! Never! Unless the horse is three legged lame or worse. The horrors!

Turns out my horse came in with a really bad case of hives. Like tomato size bumps all over! *sigh* Poor guy.

When I got to the barn hours later he looked like being on steroids! (And this was after the vet was already there and had injected him with cortisone.) I have never seen swellings this size!

There are huge bumps under his belly and chest, on his bum. His legs are swollen and puffy and oozing fluids in some spots. No idea what caused it. We think he might got into a wasps' nest or got stung by some other insect.

Stupid little idiot. Fortunately, he was his silly little self and feeling alright besides looking like a prize boxer.

*sigh* ...horses...

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: Yes, I wasn't in the mood for riding today but this is taking things a little too far...

Postby Suzon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:48 pm

Hate it when that happens.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Yes, I wasn't in the mood for riding today but this is taking things a little too far...

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:39 pm

poor boy!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Aw poor guy hope he gets back down to normal size soon!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Adding my wishes for him to feel better soon!

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:34 am

Poor pony! Hope he's ok soon.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 am

Sending healing wishes to your boy.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks everyone!

Got up early this morning to check on the pony before work. He's looking much better. Still quite a bit of swelling going on on his belly and legs, a little bit of oozing through the night but he's not itchy at all anymore. So far so good.

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 am

What did the vet say about the oozing? Is it blood? Last time my mare did that she had IMT because of zero platelets. Has your horse been vaccinated recently by chance? Mine had a reaction to vaccinations a week after her yearly shots.

It started with hives and a small bloody nose. Soon she had blood in her eyes and blood streaming out of the injection site. My photos aw too large to post but I'd keep an eye on him. My mare required two blood transfusions and was on steroids for 8 months.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 am

@bits,

now, that's not very reasuring! Glad your mare has recoverd but it sounds like it was quite an ordeal. :shock:

Yes, he was in fact vaccinated a week ago (just tetanus). No swelling or anything at the injection site till yesterday, of course. The oozing was just tissue fluid (clear, sticky).

But I will keep and eye on him!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

Yikes! how awful! hope the worst is behind you now

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:40 am

It sounds very very similar to what happened to my horse with the vaccinations. You really need to see my pictures for a comparison.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Oh my, I hope it's not nearly as serious as what bits experienced with her mare. Keeping a good thought.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:20 am

He's doing good. Swellings are going down nicely, even now without medication. No more oozing. Just some diffuse bumps under his belly and one more pronounced bump on his chest (we think that's where he got stung).

But I did order bloodwork, just to be on the safe side.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 am

It is alarming. I am glad he is progressing.

My mare once got multiple yellow jacket stings. She was really swollen on the front legs and then it moved to her back legs too. She was also oozing--around her chestnuts and her coronary bands (all 4) :shock: . I took her to the vet and she was really worried about the oozing around the hooves (so was I :!: ). We avoided steroids because of that. She didn't want her sloughing her hooves. We just treated with antihistamines and she recovered with no issues...didn't slough anything thank goodness.

Jingles for continued healing.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”