Another New Project Horse

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Another New Project Horse

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:11 am

Well to make a very long story short, I have three jobs now (have always juggled a few) but due to severe arthritis I am no longer able to do high volume spay-neuter any more; so, I had to make a drastic change. It has been a challenge to go from full bore on crazy three-ring circus and on call all the time to a corporate desk jockey position; but, few want a vet who can't churn out the surgeries like I did. As my staff said, "They broke you Dr. D." Worn out and used up I had to find another way to make a living. I continue to work for the shelter on a part-time basis (they haven't been able to find a replacement) as well as volunteer doing vaccine clinics for food bank clients. I also continue to teach police and other peace officers how to investigate animal abuse and cruelty cases; but, I been somewhat out of sorts not being constantly engaged in a position where I feel like I make a difference helping those in need. My new 'full-time' or day job is working as a in-house veterinary 'expert' for a major corporation. You add to that the other drastic change I recently went through - the fact that in one weekend my two adult children, one who has been out of the house for 4 years and the other who had been out of my house for just over two years, decided they had to move back home. I went from being the only one at home with my two horses and dog (finally embracing my freedom and liberty) to one of three people with now 4 dogs and 3 horses and all the demands that brings. Still I felt somewhat empty............................then..................No Name? a 5/6 year old Navajo Mustang stallion entered into my life. I've been missing terribly my broodmares who also doubled as my BTDT put anyone on them mounts, missing the youngstock who are of riding age that I had to sell, etc. I started to casually look for a BTDT pleasure/trail ride type BUT I saw this guy's picture and had to take a closer look. Turned out that he was scavenged from the Navajo Nation as part of another dumping due to failure to meet the requirements of their Range Management Program (ie, too many mustangs and too little grazing land/rights). He was part of a bunch headed for slaughter. He's horribly underweight, under-muscled, has a draining abscess from his neck, horribly long feet, and pink eye in both eyes............so what's not to love right? LOL, I did ride him and despite being under educated he's got one of the best minds, sensible and completely level headed. I probably made the biggest mistake in my life; but, I decided that we need each other. I paid far too much for him but in a couple of days of treatment and groceries he's already looking a wee bit better. He's not likely to be my next dressage star but if he can be my 'go to' put anyone on and pony any silly-headed youngstock from then I've scored big time.......and yes, he will be gelded once he's in better health. Here is the 'best' picture of him. Hopefully in not too long of time I can post before and after pics that really demonstrate his 'trim' self and a new and improved version..............Now to come up with a name. For those of you who know me, I'm sure you'll immediately guess why he caught my eye.

Threeponies
Greenie

Re: Another New Project Horse

Postby Threeponies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 am

:) He looks like a Cob :) no ideas on names but he looks super fun. Why not your next dressage pony :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm so glad you snatched this guy up! I like his look too. I think you have found a diamond in the rough. :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:58 pm

Threeponies - I've only got so much cash and it's dedicated to my coming 3 year old who is a purebred section D Welsh Cob, with our stallion who will be standing at public stud next year being his sire. My daughter needs the cash from the stud fees. I've had to turn several people away who wanted to book to him in previous years. This guy will get 'dressage training' after all he is a mongrel with some pretty well known brands lol and I'll be in the saddle but no shows. I shouldn't have parted with the cash to buy him, in the first place, as I'm having to pay for my kids' expenses at the moment but the moment is also definitely one of weakness for me.....................besides doing other things with my riding is becoming more and more appealing. The expense of dressage, not just competitive dressage, has taken it's toll.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:10 pm

He is a handsome sucker! Just your type :) I like him!

You have been through the wringer with all this upheaval. Hang in there, and enjoy this new project. Maybe join me at a NATRC ride one of these days ;) 8-) A lot less pressure out there!

Threeponies
Greenie

Postby Threeponies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Well he looks like he will be fun whatever you choose to do with him. I bought a two day old Welsh D purely on impulse. I wasn't even thinking of buying a foal and then just like that I had one :) It remains to be seen whether I will be able to ride him or not. And because you can't have just one Cob I am going to have another one next year. I must be insane :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:24 pm

You know I just might do that Kelo! I'll hang in there to quasi campaign the colt in dressage. My daughter needs more income and I need my daughter to get more income LOL; so, I'll be doing what I can afford to help that endeavor. This guy is purely for fun and fun that I can have NOW is the big key. He's very sweet and likes people. He loaded in the dark the other night like a champ (very food motivated but who wouldn't be when your body condition score is a 2.5 - 3 out of 9). He traveled well and unloaded in the dark, walked through the barn to his new stall with a stallion bellowing and two nincompoop ponies running around like chickens with their heads cut off, never hesitating just following my direction. Hopefully we'll have some good adventures in the near future.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:29 pm

LOL Threeponies.....your not the only one in the insane asylum then since I have three purebred welsh cobs here. I was hoping to just get another welsh cob and there are some nice ones out there but I cannot afford them. I'll probably be producing another in two to three years; but, I wanted a 'now' project that didn't require me to back/sack it out and all that. It's no secret that I love starting them and training the green ones; but, having multiple ones to start at the same time no longer fits into my schedule so this is a good blend - unbroke (too young to ride yet and just needing ground work), green broke, needing more miles and education, and FEI level stinker pony who wishes I would get hooked on something else....LOL....plus, since no one can ride the unbroke one yet and no one other than me can ride the stinker pony, this guy will likely be my ticket to no longer riding alone ;)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm

I like the new guy and you should call him Gary.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm

I know it is hard to tell from pics, but his weight looks good in the pic. He looks really sweet. Kind eye. Yes, cobby!!
Good luck with him. There is nothing better than a horse a good mind. With that, you can accomplish pretty much anything.

Threeponies
Greenie

Postby Threeponies » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Definitely sticking to two Cobs. I have a Warmblood that I am still riding. He is my moneypit. But I adore him :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:17 pm

LeoApp, I took some 'before' pics but after going through them all decided I wouldn't post the truly representative ones just yet.....didn't want my own 'crew' to come and arrest me LOL...........I also plan to use pictures and video of him to help in my lectures for training police and other peace officers on abuse, neglect and cruelty of animals. I actually get a lot of rez officials attending my classes. He'll be an interesting project for sure even if he ends up being a money pit. The abscess is actually due to the microchip that the Navajo have to put in now in order to maintain their range permit rights. Fortunately it gives me some assurance of his age but his teeth also do that too. Where this guy came from the 'owner' of the permit violated the restrictions and was forced to reduce numbers - that is through on site slaughter or sale (and sale usually leads to Mexico). Considering it's the appropriate time of year to eat horse on the Navajo Nation, this guy got lucky.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 pm

I have to say, he exudes charm and I don't blame you for taking him into your barn (and your heart).
PaulaO wrote:I like the new guy and you should call him Gary.

Yep, good name.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Another one for naming him Gary.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:31 pm

thank you for for giving him a home! i hope you'll be good for each other.
gary is a good name --tho not as unique as 'stinker pony'

demi

Postby demi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks for rescuing the mustang. Your post stuck in my head...I hope this new project helps you as much as I know it's going to help Gary (Gary!? I can live with Gary, but this guy is a mustang. Really. I'm thinking "Cayuse" or Roughy, or Chief, or "skinny pony got lucky"...) I'm still thinking
And I'd love to hear about his progress on the training forum. Good training is good training and even if he doesn't become a dressage horse, good training belongs on DDBB training forum. imo...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Wishing you all the best with the change in your life ExVet. Hope you are also paid more and appreciated more (even if for doing less!) in your new role.

I'm looking forward to the updates on your Mustang, find. Your "best" photos shows great promise of who he could be.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Awe, so glad you and he found each other! Good luck with him and your upheaval.

Kitty
Greenie

Postby Kitty » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:33 pm

With your kids coming back home, I"m glad you did this for yourself. You deserve it. He's lovely, too. Have fun! This is the proper project for this stage of life. Good on you!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:25 pm

I like the looks of your new project! I am sure he will continue to bloom under your management.

You know, there have been mustangs that become dressage stars. JB (Jail Bird) Andrew competed through Intermediate II. Just saying...hope you win the lottery!

One of our local young riders started off on a res pony. He was a blue roan and was covered with brands. She called him Graffiti.

And thanks for the update on your life. Never a dull moment!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Ride him dressage ( and anything else) and only show him if he blooms. easy peasy :).

He does look like your type! just less of that messy feather ;)

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:33 am

Thank you everyone. We'll see where the adventures take us.

airefjordphil
Greenie

Postby airefjordphil » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:56 am

Best of luck w/ your rearranged life. Glad that you're still helping animals in so many ways and that you've taken in No Name/Gary who will in assorted ways help you. As I recall, your daughter is an excellent photographer. Hope you can persuade her to document your journey w/the new boy for this board. And of course, we're always delighted to see pics of you on the Stinker. Best, airefjordphil, the ex-aireperchphil, renamed to include my new sweetie pic chunk of a mount.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:21 pm

My daughter no longer takes pictures.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 pm

He's a cutie and thanks for rescueing this guy.

I would choose an Indian name for him or Marquis, since the white hairs on his face are the shape of a marquis cut diamond.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:31 pm

Congrats! Hope he is everything you need him to be.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:27 pm

You know. I knew it was coming. This isn't the first sack of bones I've acquired (or purchased with the huge "S" stamped on my forehead). Last night, I went in his stall after feeding and he lifted his leg when I was feeling his sides. He didn't kick me and he certainly could have. He was very clearly warning me that the food was his and no one was going to take it away. He learned quickly that it wasn't acceptable to threaten let alone follow through but I rode him this morning (despite none of the saddles fitting well due to his condition). It was nothing major; but, he was so good and willing and obedient even if he wasn't sure what I was asking. He was good to groom and this time when I 'checked his sides' while he was eating, he was all four on the ground. We rode both stallions in the arena at the same time and they were both perfect gentlemen as to be expected. I too hope he fits right in to the hole we have here and so far it's looking good for that ;)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:48 am

:D :D

Sounds like he's pretty darn smart as well as cute!

So did you pick a name?

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 am

So far my daughter just keeps wrinkling up her nose at all of the suggestions.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:22 am

exvet wrote:So far my daughter just keeps wrinkling up her nose at all of the suggestions.

is it a democracy? Is she sharing the horse? I usually just tell everone what the name is , fait accompli.

If its my sons turn to name an animal, he justbtells me :)

I guess it would be more complex if its a shared animal.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:32 pm

No, it's not a shared animal in terms of the bills or who is training it.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:14 am

exvet wrote:You know. I knew it was coming. This isn't the first sack of bones I've acquired (or purchased with the huge "S" stamped on my forehead). Last night, I went in his stall after feeding and he lifted his leg when I was feeling his sides. He didn't kick me and he certainly could have. He was very clearly warning me that the food was his and no one was going to take it away. He learned quickly that it wasn't acceptable to threaten let alone follow through but I rode him this morning (despite none of the saddles fitting well due to his condition). It was nothing major; but, he was so good and willing and obedient even if he wasn't sure what I was asking. He was good to groom and this time when I 'checked his sides' while he was eating, he was all four on the ground. We rode both stallions in the arena at the same time and they were both perfect gentlemen as to be expected. I too hope he fits right in to the hole we have here and so far it's looking good for that ;)

I am very happy to hear that. I have always found a stallion that has had to function in a social group is always much more reasonable
to deal with than an overfed, undersexed spoilt brat that is kept apart. Back many moons ago, there was a saddlebred hoarding situation here in the East Valley. Long story short, there was this guy who had literally hundreds of horses crammed on about 10 acres. Every so often he would sell off a few, especially when he thought he was close to being seized. One of these times we went to look for a horse. I was shocked to see nearly 100 young stallions that were totally unhandled and completely feral being kept in a paddock a little bit bigger than a standard dressage court. There was no screaming, no posturing, no drama. The stallions ate, lived and died as one social group with many mares in close proximity. They had all been forced to learn social skills and it probably saved most of them from a grisly death.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:15 pm

exvet wrote:You know. I knew it was coming. This isn't the first sack of bones I've acquired (or purchased with the huge "S" stamped on my forehead). Last night, I went in his stall after feeding and he lifted his leg when I was feeling his sides. He didn't kick me and he certainly could have. He was very clearly warning me that the food was his and no one was going to take it away. He learned quickly that it wasn't acceptable to threaten let alone follow through

I've had a few rescue dogs like that. Not mean by any stretch of the imagination, but food protective, due to food being scarce and required due diligence in handling them. One even was adopted, then got thrown back into death row because he dared to growl at the people for trying to take his food -- I went and got him, and he was literally a walking skeleton that I had to feed mush to 8x/day trying to get his body weight up :( Of course he is going to guard his food, you ninnies!!!

Once meals were common, all these dogs and I were able to work it out and they became happy citizens. I'm sure Handsome NoName will be just like that too :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes, he's already getting over his protectiveness of his food. I've obviously fed him multiple times now and no repeats. I've been riding him and no issues except needing an education. We had both stallions out in the barn aisle last night. i was finished riding and was untacking and grooming Mr. Stang (still no name) and my daughter was finishing the body clip on Mr. Studly. Neither gave a hoot about the other or what was going on. Redsoxluvr my/my daughter's stallion was living with his sire and 4 other colts/stallions until I brought him home as a late 2 year old; so, he too has had equine manners put on him. I've worked with a few breeders who would keep their intact male offspring in large groups. Usually those living in any type of herd situation come with better manners which is nice. In this case you know that to survive they have to be sensible which is another huge bonus. I've always appreciated the Darwinism rule, though brutal, when you're talking about feral horses or even true range horses. It does prove itself out and should make those of us who breed horses (in what's become the conventional sense) really evaluate what we're doing.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:53 pm

i think mr. stang has found a name!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Yes, Mr. Stang sounds like a good name !

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:42 pm

Or, Stan the Man...

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:10 am

Quite a handsome fellow! Congrats and enjoy.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:34 am

I'm looking forward to updates on his progress. Does the handsome boy have a name yet? I think he could be 'Kahu' (Maori for hawk), or 'Valiant' (he just looks valiant). Good luck with him!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Ooh, I like Valiant or Val!

Looking forward to updates in time.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Ooh I like Valiant too. I'm rushing off to the State Championships to help my daughter. She is riding the other studly in the 2nd level and 3rd level championship classes. I'll see if she wrinkles her nose up at it or gives it a thumbs up................then will be back here to work my 3........
Thank you for all the good suggestions.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:46 pm

amygdala wrote:i think mr. stang has found a name!

"Arnold" for around the barn. Anyone else remember Arnold Stang?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Stang

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Well KathyK Mr. Stang is going to be formally dubbed Mr. [Arnold] Stang. He seems to respond to both Mr. Stang and Arnie or he just likes the food lady LOL go figure.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Someday, someone will take my suggestion and name their horse Gary. LOL

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”