Netflix--DVDs or streaming?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Netflix--DVDs or streaming?

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:07 pm

It seems there's lots of good stuff on Netflix. Streaming is $7.99 a month, and DVDs are $4.99 (the basic plans). I'm sure I'm going to sign up, but for which one? I have Amazon Prime, and cable, but there are movies and shows that are exclusive to Netflix. How is the streaming? My Internet is decent--have had no problem with YouTube or Amazon Prime.

KathyK

Re: Netflix--DVDs or streaming?

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:50 pm

My main objection to streaming is that "backing up" is very clumsy and takes a lot of time. But I like to go back and re-watch a snippet or scene fairly often.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

I have both, DVD's and streaming, so that I can watch movies or shows not available for streaming. I really like Netflix and rarely have issues with streaming or buffering. I tried Amazon Prime but it did suit me I guess. We do not have any tv service, cable or satellite, and so Netflix is our only source.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:11 pm

I signed up for the DVD service--first month is free. I am concerned about the loading/buffering, plus I can waste a lot of time watching bad tv/movies. This way I limit myself. My first order is Peaky Blinders, as mentioned in the "what are you watching" thread. I signed up just to watch it... :roll:

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Yeah, buffering. I'm a real techno whiz!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:37 pm

And I changed my mind and went with streaming. Wasn't a problem at home last night. First month is free, so I will assess after that. Netflix has more available via DVD, but you have to wait for the DVDs to be mailed. The generation of "instant gratification" we are!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

I only use their streaming. In the past when they were new and I was getting them through the mail I had a lot of issues with discs that would skip or freeze. Streaming through my Wii, I have no issues. I do have really fast internet though.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Too far out to stream, so I do two DVDs at a time, only in the winter. That way I always have one home and one enroute. Stop subscription about April - October.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:02 pm

We also only stream.

That said, since we actually got a TV a couple of months back, we haven't streamed a whole bunch. About at the same time our old ISP got bought by a slightly bigger ISP, and so far THEIR SERVICE SUCKS, and streaming is a major PITA. So, we've watched some stuff on TV instead, or skipped watching anything altogether. The old ISP would try to fix things when we complained about the connection being too slow, but these new people keep saying it'll get better once they get their new equipment installed............................ :?

But, streaming used to be all we ever "needed", LOL.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”