My week - complete with gory pictures

silk
500 post plus club

My week - complete with gory pictures

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:33 am

I dropped a gory picture into the halloween thread as I thought it looked a bit zombie-ish... here's the proper update!

On Tuesday I trimmed my broodmare's hind feet while waiting for my grazer (boarder) to arrive, to trim her mare. I got both fronts of the boarder's horse done and was on the right hind and the horse must have kicked out at me. She got me just to the right of my chin. I must have blacked out, as I don't remember "how much" I'd trimmed that hoof, I was just trimming, then blank, then IMPACT TO FACE and a lot of pain.
It reinforces why I don't like trimming alone. The mare had done a little kick prior, which she'd been told off for, but I must not have seen the next one coming and didn't remove my head from the firing line (in all seriousness, it was a potential 'kill' shot, and I shouldn't make light of it, but I was clearly too slow!).

I remember being concerned about being trampled, as all three horses were in the paddock, but knew I wasn't required to fend for myself, so just lay still and let the grazer deal with things. Mum was home and called the ambulance, bought me a blanket, the horses were moved away from me, tools and halters put away, etc. They were very logical, deciding ambulance was the way to go, not taking me to A&E themselves. I ended up with TWO ambulances, as one was coming off the end of their shift.

The whole evening went pretty quickly for me. I got kicked around 6-something pm, to A&E around 7-8pm and didn't get seen by the plastics surgeon until after midnight. Plastics was called as they do a better stitch job and it's a face wound, but the surgeon decided he'd rather send me to theatre the next day as there was dirt in the wound (surprise, surprise!) and it was actually a very deep degloving rather than a superficial wound. One of the ambo drivers stopped in to see me at the end of the shift which was lovely, despite the amount of blood I'd probably got on her and her truck!!!

Thankfully my jaw and teeth are intact, nothing broken, just really bruised and sore from the impact. I think the horse could have kicked a heck of a lot harder, as if she WANTED to do damage I would have been in a far worse situation... fractured jaw, broken/missing teeth, a vegetable, etc! I'm very very lucky to have got off relatively lightly. Needless to say I won't be trimming that horse ever again! The owner's mother told her to sell it pronto, I don't think she's going to but I did say she MUST tell the next person to deal with its feet what it has done. Could have been a freak accident with any horse, but whoever works with it needs to understand it IS a kicker and it HAS hurt someone.

I got stitched up the next day (Weds) in theatre, so was out for the whole procedure under general, and released the day after that to come home (Thurs). I've got the next week off work, but aren't allowed to do much (eg no horsing for 4-6 weeks, etc) as they don't want me to get another bang to the head... multiple concussions are way more fatal. I have had my dressing changed (yesterday and again today as it sort of fell off... I could wrap a horse leg better!!) and the wound looks good, the stitches are supposed to come out Weds next week when I see plastics again, then probably no more dressings or anything and I can get down to healing the scar with vit e and what not.

Supposed to be taking it easy but it is SO boring to have all the time in the world but not be allowed to do much apart from rest and sleep and do not much! I've had flowers and visits, but other than that am just trying to occupy myself without spending too much time on the computer/phone or watching tv. I've visited my horses when the boarder has had her horse out of the paddock, as I trust my girls implicitly, and my boarder has done some bodywork on me (she's a chiro and knows craniosacral). I think that's helping! I have to wait to see my own physio as she's booked up 3 weeks in advance unless she gets a cancellation.

silk
500 post plus club

Re: My week - complete with gory pictures

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:35 am

I lied! Pictures...

A&E. Bored out of my poor concussed brain.
face3x.jpg
face3x.jpg (211.99 KiB) Viewed 21944 times

Pre-surgery, out for the count.

face2.jpg
face2.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 21944 times

face1.jpg
face1.jpg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 21944 times

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:35 am

Dressing change two days later

faceday3.jpg
faceday3.jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 21943 times

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:36 am

Thank goodness you are ok. If you want to chat about concussion recovery, shoot me a pm. Lots of hugs and take it easy. Your body has a lot of healing ahead.

Feder
Greenie

Postby Feder » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 am

So glad you are ok!

At least timing is right, you should be able to make a good Halloween costume out of that!

Jingles for speedy recovery.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:27 am

Oh, Lord, Silk! You are very fortunate it wasn't a lot worse! Heal well and quickly!

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:01 am

Holy cow. :shock: Hope you feel better soon!

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:12 am

Yikes. Amazing no bruising. Bet you heel uo fast.

Ryans Friend
Greenie

Postby Ryans Friend » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:33 am

So sorry about that! But after your description I was expecting VERY gory photos. What a surprise: you weathered your ordeal very well. Sending hugs and healing thoughts your way!

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:45 am

Whoa. That's nasty. But not nearly so bad as it could have been. Many big healing hugs to you.

Be very very good to yourself. Concussions delude you into thinking you're in much better shape than you are.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks all! I'm on enforced rest and no horsing for a while. I have gone out to cuddle my ponies (which was lovely - nothing quite beats 'eau de cheval') and shift the fence when the boarder horse is not there. My chickens are keeping me occupied (55 eggs in the 14 days since we got them!)... My cat LOVES sick days, they're his favourite ;) so he keeps me company at home. This weekend is a holiday weekend so we're visiting my aunt and uncle tonight and watching the rugby tomorrow morning (I might skip the 4am kick off and appear in time for breakfast instead).

nightlace
Greenie

Postby nightlace » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:16 am

So sorry for your injury. Please continue to take care of yourself. Healing takes time.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:03 am

LOL who took the photo of you in theatre??
Ouch and scary stuff!! Glad you're ok.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 pm

I bet the bruising will come! I am glad you are recovering and that you had good help quickly.

Jingles for a good recovery

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 pm

You are very lucky! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:13 pm

Ouch. Glad it wasn't worse but please take your time and follow doctor's orders!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:10 pm

OMGosh, silk! I'm glad the mare's aim was off a bit!

I'm sending boatloads of express jingles your way for quick healing.

periastra
Novice

Postby periastra » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:36 pm

God that looks painful! Jingles for fast healing.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Anasthetic technician took the theatre pic (I asked) - he told me he plays soccer with my bf, well, my ex (he decided to dump me on Monday). I skipped telling *that* story while heading into theatre, because I wanted photos of the wound! It's been a hell of a week.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:10 pm

Poor you! I know so many people that have been kicked lately. All best wishes for healing and most minimal of teeny scars

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Concussion buddy!! I think you win though as I had a helmet on... Take care of yourself!! Sending healing thoughts your way. And hoping your week gets a heck of a lot better.

Seriously cool pics!

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:22 am

Oh bugger! Great looking war wound though!

To keep you looking on the bright side, you are expecting one of these in the near future! ....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 21729 times

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:53 am

Oh, man. I'm sorry that you got nailed (and dumped) but am glad you're here to tell the tale. I hope that your recovery is swift.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Hoof'n it wrote:Oh bugger! Great looking war wound though!

To keep you looking on the bright side, you are expecting one of these in the near future! ....

I can't WAIT for it to arrive! Mare got the first of two tetanus vacs yesterday, I asked my friend to come and help because I am not supposed to be horsing and I am trying to be good. Indy was really good to inject. The vet and I discussed that I won't give any other vacs, 1) we're not high-risk for anything (eg no broodies around us so low risk of EHV, salmonella etc) 2) they aren't required for the LFG. Just tet: I chose to give it to the mare as she has an unknown tet vac status, rather than leaving her and still having to inject the foal.

She is really widening out now, hilarious really. She also looks fed up with life :lol:

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:35 pm

silk wrote:The vet and I discussed that I won't give any other vacs, 1) we're not high-risk for anything (eg no broodies around us so low risk of EHV, salmonella etc) 2) they aren't required for the LFG. Just tet: I chose to give it to the mare as she has an unknown tet vac status, rather than leaving her and still having to inject the foal.

In the past I always do a 2'n1 tet / strangles about 4 weeks out. The others are depending on the situation. If the mare is new or there are known problems in the surrounding area or they are going out to foal, they will get there 5, 7 & 9 month herpeeies injections and a salmonella.

This year I have done all injections, as new property which has housed broodmare said, in a bad area for salmonella and right next door to a big stud.

Tet, strangles, course of EHV and salmonella are usually all required to be given when foaling out at studs in the Waikato.

Last year a big stud was locked down due to and outbreak of EHV and salmonella is transferred via the bird droppings, and having lost a foal to it, it wasn't a pretty thing.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah, we went through all of that, as I didn't want to vac/not vac when it was not the best course of action. Now I just have to get through guy fawkes with a non-stressed horse... then I can worry about when she looks ready to pop and head off to her foaling digs!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Holy crap I think she must have just grazed you. Very lucky girl you are feeling well enough to be bored.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:34 pm

My short term memory is a bit shot. Otherwise, everything seems on track. Minimal pain, no headaches or dizzyness, etc.
I have one more week off work, but think I might go a couple of hours here and there, while they're not relying on me to be at full speed. Clearing emails and whatnot.

Stitches out tomorrow so I can start work on healing the scar.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:56 pm

Whoa.

Y'all take a bit more care missy. Those roasts won't cook themselves!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:03 pm

But this one will ... :mrgreen:

hidey.jpg
hidey.jpg (228.49 KiB) Viewed 21533 times

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Stitches out, steri strips on this morning. Wound is clean, not icky or oozy or infected. No painkillers at all yesterday (so, last one was 36+ hours ago) - no pain, only one more day of ABs.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Most important things first: the mare hasn't popped, so I don't have a foal yet. In theory, two more weeks before "due" date. She doesn't look ready yet, but is bagging up more and more.

I am 'officially' allowed to ride again (they told me 4-6 weeks off initially, and I was really good about not getting on sooner *pats self on back*). I had my first ride in 6 weeks yesterday. It was absolute bliss, and I loff my little pony more than I can say (my pony is amazing). :mrgreen:

My scar is healing, though was pretty sore last week (sort of dull ache-y, as opposed to actively sore or inflamed). I saw a dr on Friday who said it's only a problem if it's infected, looked at it and said it was fine, so keep up the gentle massage and movement. Ironically, as that was the closest anyone had examined it since the nurses were changing dressings and taking out stiches, I noticed it had a teensy 'pocket' of pus yesterday (Sunday night), so out came the manuka honey to help deal with that (manuka honey is amazing).

Everything else is trucking along... My physio has helped significantly with my neck and back aches and pains, and general wellbeing (my physio is amazing). I'm up to 6 hours a day at work (normally 8, plus 1.5 hrs travel there and back). I have a med cert to continue with 6 hours this week and next, then I have a few days off for a clinic, then there's only about a week until we break for 2 weeks over Christmas, so everything is working in my favour to gradually ease myself up to normal workload.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Yay!

Sounds good - try not to rush things. Once the scar is healed, cocoa butter is wonderful stuff!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:12 am

O was wondering how you were doing! Glad to hear a positive report.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:58 am

The ponykins might be closer than I thought..... Stay tuned.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:22 pm

ha. Maiden mare. Bet she's fooling you. Check the vulva, it needs to be bright coral pink.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:08 am

bascar wrote:ha. Maiden mare. Bet she's fooling you. Check the vulva, it needs to be bright coral pink.

She's still playing with us :lol: but she does look close. I dragged her out for a ride today, probably did 3 miles all up. Her udder had shrunk away afterwards :lol: (that's the most exercise she's had since I got hurt!)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”