Recommendations for winter riding jacket?

Tabby
Herd Member

Recommendations for winter riding jacket?

Postby Tabby » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:43 pm

My mom has generously offered to buy me a winter riding jacket for Christmas. My old one is a Mountain Horse - not sure the style as I've had it at least 10 years and it has been the best article of clothing I have ever owned. It was warm, had plenty of pockets and was slitted just perfectly so it didn't hike up in the back because of the saddle. I've googled Mountain Horse and they have several different styles but no real descriptions as to how warm they are. My local store has only one in stock and it's a small (Mountain Horse Stratford - looks like what I'm looking for in photos but hard to judge warmth). Naturally I'm going to check it out in person but I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations - including other brands. Odds are I'm going to have to order online.

I mostly do trail riding and we do go out through the winter. Even if we don't ride out, temps can get pretty cold up here (-20's to -30's not unusual) and it is always much windier at the barn than here in the city so need to account for that. I like lots of pockets so I can have a variety of gloves at the ready (heavy to ride in but lighter so I can actually manipulate tack buckles etc.) and somewhere secure for my car keys and cell phone. I also would like to be able to layer extra sweaters underneath for really, really cold days.

Any recommendations?

LeoApp
Herd Member

Re: Recommendations for winter riding jacket?

Postby LeoApp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:47 pm

This is the one I have and I love it. This may be the one you had that you are talking about
http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-origin ... DQodD88C1w

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 pm

That's the one I had. Loved it.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 pm

That one is similar to the one I have but it doesn't look quite as heavy. How warm is it? I really need something to tackle the cold. Also, it hasn't shown up on the Canadian sites. If this turns out to be the one, would anybody be able to receive this for me and send it on (costs covered, of course)?

The ones that have shown up here are these: https://www.amazon.ca/Mountain-Horse-Wi ... th=1&psc=1

and: http://www.pleasantridge.ca/index.php/e ... acket.html

The second one is my preference but they only have the small. The first one doesn't look heavy enough and doesn't seem to have the pockets that my old one has.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 pm

I forgot to say - my old one is cut in a similar way, with similar pockets, but it's green. It could be the same one but not available in that colour anymore.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I'd certainly be willing to receive it and send it along to you!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Yes It used to come in blue and in green. It is nice and warm. I always layer underneath it but I am never cold when I wear it.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:58 pm

I wore it through northern Illinois winters with a turtleneck and sweatshirt. My only complaint is that,it is (or used to be) unisex sizing which meant the sleeves were way too long.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:57 pm

Tabby, in case this doesn't show up for you on the Dover site: try using promo code CM16VETERANS for $35 off an order of $150 or more, good through tomorrow.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks everyone! It looks like it does ship to Canada. Now I just have to double check the pricing with Mom, although I'd be happy to pay anything that she feels is too much. Heck, I'd be happy to pay the whole thing - my old one certainly was worth it. I did get that promo so that's a little better as well.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Sounds like you found your coat!

For those of us in slightly warmer climes, I am a huge fan of Joules and Barbour. Countryattire.com often has some good sales.

(I am embarrassed to tell you the variety of quilted coats that I own---some for the barn, some for work and "town"!)

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:03 am

Couldn't get hold of Mom but ordered it anyway :oops: . Hope she's alright with it. If not I truly don't mind paying for it. I was going to get one this year anyway - it was just a very nice generous offer Mom made. Who knew an 83 year old woman would be out this late on a Saturday night?!

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Well, I'm too late now but in case anyone else is looking, I highly recommend LLBean Rugged Ridge Parka

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83435?fe ... -plalander

I ride at night and find this jacket awesome, tons of pockets, really warm but light. The hood is insulated, detachable, adjustable and it fits over my riding helmet which is great when it's really windy out.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks Larbear. I LOVE LLBean stuff and have ordered from them many times. DH's winter jacket is theirs. One of the best things about them is the free shipping to Canada. I really appreciate that now since I got the shipping quote for my Mountain Horse jacket and it's nearly the price of the jacket :o !!! What's worse is because they ship through UPS, I have to pay another $42 duty and brokerage fees. I probably should have taken Sunshine's offer and had her send it to me by post. AND - they tried to deliver Friday and nobody was home so because there's a COD on it (for duty and brokerage), they didn't leave it. Luckily, DH is home tomorrow and they're supposed to try again then. I have had some bad experiences recently with UPS so I'm not overly confident in them.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Ugh, sounds like a pita, hope you got your coat in the end!

somantu
Greenie

Postby somantu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Not sure if you already ordered the jacket, but if you go to Cavalier you can choose from a variety of Mountain Horse jackets (just not the Stratford :() Find a dealer near you and order it through them. I live in Toronto, so order stuff through Baker's. See the link below.

https://cavalier.on.ca/index.php?route=product/search&search=mountain%20horse%20&category_id=56
Proud Rubenesquestrian

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:54 am

What a great link! I have ordered (and received) but the shipping costs were outrageous (more than the jacket). Mom insists on paying for it but I didn't tell her about the duty because the whole thing make me sick. I absolutely LOVE the jacket - it is exactly perfect for what I need and based on the longevity of my old jacket, it will be worth every penny. But it's nice to know there are other places to get this stuff.

PS. I hate UPS. Why can't they just ship through post?

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:55 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Sounds like you found your coat!

For those of us in slightly warmer climes, I am a huge fan of Joules and Barbour. Countryattire.com often has some good sales.

(I am embarrassed to tell you the variety of quilted coats that I own---some for the barn, some for work and "town"!)

Oh, good to know! I just ordered a Barbour quilted jacket from Sierra Trading Post yesterday, along with another jacket. Only planning to keep one, as an insulated layer under my waterproof North Face Shell when I'm working in DC this winter, but I did note that the Barbour has snaps at the butt to make it better for riding. We have an STP store here, so it is far too easy to have things shipped to the store, and then return whatever I don't like. :oops:

Tabby, glad you got your jacket, but sorry about the shipping. It seems like shipping to CA has become outrageous, whereas it wasn't too bad when I was selling on eBay more 5-10 years ago. It is cray that we can get like $800 worth of goods from Europe duty free, but they gouge you $42 for a jacket. Yikes.

Last winter I picked up a North Face ski jacket that is belted and has a short skirt that doesn't get in the way of the cantle, plus the sleeves are actually articulated forward, so it's perfect for riding. Probably not warm enough for where you are though.
Keep calm and canter on.

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Which one did you end up going with? I have a MH Stanford and I adore it. I adore it so much that I wait all year for it to be cold enough for me to wear that big heavy delightful coat.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”