de face booked myself

greenholmeshandy
Novice

de face booked myself

Postby greenholmeshandy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:34 pm

I used to like facebook, but gradually realised it has taken over my life, i looked at it first thing in the morning, last thing at night. Loved looking at pictures of horses, gradually started to hate hate hate the animal cruelty pictures, random arguments about nothing and the friends who would talk to you on Facebook but not in real life. I feel a bit stressed about leaving it, akin to stopping. Drinking coffee, but massive weight of my shoulders really.
formerly UDBB user known as Brychensmum

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: de face booked myself

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:43 pm

My husband did the same thing. I still facebook. I was very tempted to leave when it became consumed by the whole american political thing. However, i tried to stay, and take the opportunity to pay attention to points of view that are not my own. I have become a lot more savvy about avoiding click bait and blocking sites that are vote or click driven and thankfully that has finally resulted in getting less of the animal cruelty photos, fake petitions and such.

It takes a while to learn that facebook reflects what we do, so if it is irritating me, than its because that is what i am putting into it. after a while it can become a simple venue for observing and of course the original purpose, maintaining contact with my far flung friends and family.

The interesting thing of course is that you get to know far flung family that are active on facebook, but if you have close family who are not active on facebook you have to actually call them up to maintain contact lol.

anyway, social media is a tool, it is designed to mold itself to what you put in, like memory foam. chat to a friend about planter pain, and within minutes you will get posts on plantar fasciitis on facebook. Look for riding clothes on google and suddenly facebook will have ads from dover, zulilly etc on offer. you can get freaked out about the big brother aspect of it, or not. anyway. I congratulate you on removing something from your life that you did not like.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:06 pm

I am cutting back on FB too. I like to look at pictures of cute animals and read horse ads. I've had to unfriend people over politics. And I'm kinda tired about the stuff people present as factual, when the information is either old or completely wrong.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 pm

PaulaO wrote:I am cutting back on FB too. I like to look at pictures of cute animals and read horse ads. I've had to unfriend people over politics. And I'm kinda tired about the stuff people present as factual, when the information is either old or completely wrong.

This, a thousand times. All of it. For the love of Pete, it's not actually painful to Google something before you post it.

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:26 pm

There was a very interesting article on bbc radio 4 about news sites set up pre the usa election results pushing false news story's.

I wasted so much time face booking I have gained far more from this forum and British dressage forum.

Must go much to my astonishment the England squad are 2 nil to Spain.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:46 am

British dressage forum??? What is the website plz?

greenholmeshandy
Novice

Postby greenholmeshandy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 am

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:55 am

There is actually a FB group that is not run by BD but is very useful. It has sales, general discussions etc. It is called British Dressage as well.

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:46 am

I'm about to push the exit button, also. It's just too much insanity. I just want to hide under the covers.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”