Getting the work done in a small barn? Please help! UPDATE 11/30

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Getting the work done in a small barn? Please help!

Postby fergusnc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:54 pm

goneriding wrote:
TeresaA wrote:The reason is that I have it worked out well with my two. They can run in and out of their stalls and share a field with no drama.

How do you keep them from squabbling in the tight confines of a stall if they have free access in and out?

I only have two as well, in a great routine, really good bond between the two horses. They are out 24/7 except for meals and real bad weather. I don't have to lead them, pretty much ever. I whistle, they come, and they know the stalling routine.

When we gutted and re-org-ed the layout of The Little Red Barn (it was already a modified shedrow that we are modifying further) we set up two stalls, perpendicular to each other. One is a 12x24' space and we put in two doors so it can be converted to two stalls one day if I get my donkeys. The doors stay tied open. And we made the door opening 5' wide. DH built out everything, so we could build whatever size doors we wanted. We also have a covered porch area in front of the stalls. And he built an extension onto the end of the barn so they also have a 20x26' covered area. We keep the 2nd door shut at all times as it has only 1 way in/out, even though it is a big stall as well.

I have been at a place where they left all three single shedrow stall doors open for two horses...one horse was mine the other horse changed a few times...and all was fine. But my guy is herd leader, always, and he is consistent, clear and kind about it. Horses accept that easily. And there were times a Pony would cozy up to him for shelter, no issues, but the horse sized buddies over the years didn't do that in a single stall. In a big run in, no problem. I'd be more nervous if the dynamics weren't so clear.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I could create run in access to stalls (for my 2 anyway) but they are both mares with a little drama, I don't know if they would settle into peacefully keeping to themselves or not. And the stalls are pretty small, 10x12.

I could take out the dividing wall to have an area 10x24 with two doors in/out, so there would be an escape route. I'd have to remove an auto waterer but the actual dividing boards are t&g in a channel, should slip right out. Now I'm thinking....

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm

I was a little worried at first, as Dallas was a new save from a rescue, but no issues. And it has worked really well.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:55 pm

Mine don't squabble but they are both not dominant types. There is plenty of grass in the summer and I have hay in 3 locations during the winter so there's no need to squabble. The hardware is out of the way and so far the doorframe have been okay.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:42 pm

goneriding wrote:I could create run in access to stalls (for my 2 anyway) but they are both mares with a little drama, I don't know if they would settle into peacefully keeping to themselves or not. And the stalls are pretty small, 10x12.

I could take out the dividing wall to have an area 10x24 with two doors in/out, so there would be an escape route. I'd have to remove an auto waterer but the actual dividing boards are t&g in a channel, should slip right out. Now I'm thinking....

I think the double size stall with two doors is a great solution, the less dominant horse always has a way out. if the automatic waterer is against one edge you might not have to move it, simply put a small surround so that the horses can avoid it.

goneriding
Herd Member

Re: Getting the work done in a small barn? Please help! UPDATE 11/30

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 am

Update 11/30 original post

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:50 am

Good for you!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:01 am

Congratulations!!!! Wishing you less work and stress in the days ahead :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:12 am

Yay! Happy for you! I tend to do the same thing, work myself all up about something and then when I actually do it everything actually turns out fine and it's a big weight lifted.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 am

Imperini wrote:Yay! Happy for you! I tend to do the same thing, work myself all up about something and then when I actually do it everything actually turns out fine and it's a big weight lifted.

Or it crashes and burns spectacularly. Just depends ;) haha

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:00 am

goneriding wrote:
Imperini wrote:Yay! Happy for you! I tend to do the same thing, work myself all up about something and then when I actually do it everything actually turns out fine and it's a big weight lifted.

Or it crashes and burns spectacularly. Just depends ;) haha

Noooo don't say that! lol

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 pm

That is amazing that it all settled so quickly. Glad there were so many options for your boarders, and that you get to try out your new plan. Good luck to all!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 pm

I find it interesting that they were all able to find good places so quickly. I'm not sure what all that says, but I do think this is the best decision for you.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

goneriding wrote:I could create run in access to stalls (for my 2 anyway) but they are both mares with a little drama, I don't know if they would settle into peacefully keeping to themselves or not. And the stalls are pretty small, 10x12.

Just a word of caution about allowing 2 or more horses access to one stall through a standard-sized stall door (no matter how big the stall is, and no matter how many doors are available) ... I used to leave my Shedrow barn stalls open 24/7 so that the horses could get right in to the back of the barn in bad weather or to avoid the summer bugs. The barn is 30'x30' and each stall is just under 15'x15' with 4' doors. I figured that the two horses would have lots of room/options to figure things out.

I was wrong.

Here's what I came home to one day a few years ago:
2011Aug31 StallDisaster1jpg.jpg
2011Aug31 StallDisaster1jpg.jpg (175.78 KiB) Viewed 13709 times

A closer view:
2011Aug31 StallDisaster2.jpg
2011Aug31 StallDisaster2.jpg (163.63 KiB) Viewed 13709 times

It seems that two horses tried to exit the stall at the same time. They even busted the 4x4 pillar in half.
2011Aug31 StallDisaster3.jpg
2011Aug31 StallDisaster3.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 13709 times

No horses were injured, but it took me about 6 hrs of hard work (alone) to get it back to a serviceable condition. I no longer leave *any* stalls open for access by 2 or more horses!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Yikes DJR! If the partition between the stalls had been removed and it was a double sized area with two doors, do you think that would make a difference?

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:17 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I find it interesting that they were all able to find good places so quickly. I'm not sure what all that says, but I do think this is the best decision for you.

They had definitely not been planning a departure, if that's what you are implying. They were very shocked by my decision, and had no idea where to go. It just all came together quickly. One is going to a barn I recommended that happened to have 2 openings immediately, and she is my dear friend and insists she will leave immediately but pay for the month anyway so I don't have to do any more work (god I'll miss her lol). One called a place she used to board and they had an opening immediately. And the other had recently moved to this area and was having trouble adjusting and considering returning to her home state, and this made her decision for her. She is away for a long holiday visit and isn't even coming back, a friend is coming to get her horse and stuff.

In winter you have to take a stall when you can get it. And of course I'm not holding anyone to a 30 day notice.

I am shocked at how quickly this all resolved itself. And everyone is happy with their next step. Except my DH who is upset that we will lose the "passive income" from the farm :roll:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:25 pm

I was not implying that at all. I should have said they were taking the easy way out boarding with you. You made it very easy and comfortable, but when you finally put your foot down I found it interesting how quickly they all found a new place. Like they could have done this all along.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I was not implying that at all. I should have said they were taking the easy way out boarding with you. You made it very easy and comfortable, but when you finally put your foot down I found it interesting how quickly they all found a new place. Like they could have done this all along.

Ah, well I'm sure they could have, but I never gave them any reason to. I was happy to have them here and it worked... and then it didn't.

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:28 pm

goneriding wrote:
Rockabilly wrote:I was not implying that at all. I should have said they were taking the easy way out boarding with you. You made it very easy and comfortable, but when you finally put your foot down I found it interesting how quickly they all found a new place. Like they could have done this all along.

Ah, well I'm sure they could have, but I never gave them any reason to. I was happy to have them here and it worked... and then it didn't.

They are actually very nice people and as good as boarders get. They pay their bills, care for their horses, respect the property and are nice to have around. I just don't have it in me to take care of a bunch of horses single-handedly. My short-coming, not theirs :)

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Glad everyone landed softly. Everything will sort itself out.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:48 am

I'm glad that this worked out. Good for you!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”