Another exciting Friday night, or Ariel choked

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Another exciting Friday night, or Ariel choked

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:33 pm

I was all comfy cozy Friday night, reading when the phone rang at 7:45. Saw it was the barn and thought "they're not calling to say Ariel is fine." Brad (BM) said Ariel is exhibiting signs of choke and he wanted to give her Ace. I said fine, got dressed, and was out there 20 minutes later. She looked so sad, standing in the corner sedated, full of shavings, with green stuff out her nose. I waited about 20 minutes, and she didn't improve, so I called the vet. Vet tubed her, got the stuff out, gave her Banamine, and by the time I left around 10, Miss A. was alert, snuffling for hay schnibbles, and cribbing.

Girlfriend had to stay in yesterday with no hay, and just a handful of soaked grain. I handwalked her and did some ground work. We are practicing halts, and not speeding up. Today she can go out, and can have soaked hay and grain. I will ride her gently.

I felt so bad for her Friday night, yet happy that I am her guardian and that I could afford the $360 vet bill (bonus is Friday and it's already spent on her!).

My choke takeaway is catch and treat it fast, or there is the risk of aspiration and pneumonia. The vet said it was caught early.

Props to the PM waterers and hay giver outters who saw her distress, and to Brad who is wonderful. I am pleased with myself that I didn't panic which would have been my MO with Bob. And to the boarders who stood with me and gave me moral support. The funny thing is that years ago the barn had a bad rep and I never would have considered boarding there. But they've turned it around and I'm happy there.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Another exciting Friday night, or Ariel choked

Postby KathyK » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Choke is scary!!! You're lucky to have a vigilant and caring barn staff. OK, Miss A, enough drama. Time to show Paula some love under saddle.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm glad she's OK! Friend's horse had a moderate choke couple of years ago, same protocol.. Very scary.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:10 pm

I have a horse who chokes at the drop of a hat. Basically, he can eat Purina Equine Senior and hay. If he gets anything else, he chokes. I've learned before doing anything else to try clearing it myself. Jeep knows the drill and opens his mouth for me to get it done. What I do is turn a hose on full blast, fold over the end, stick it in his mouth as far as is practical, let 'er rip and pull it out quickly, so he only gets one big blast. If it's not a huge, solid choke, that'll usually get it down (with some ugly gagging). Then I give some banamine and we're good to go until the next time. The trick is to remember you're not trying to drown your horse; one blast, get the hose out fast. If it doesn't work, don't keep doing it. I've cleared many horses that way; It even worked with a choking llama.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Suzon wrote:I have a horse who chokes at the drop of a hat. Basically, he can eat Purina Equine Senior and hay. If he gets anything else, he chokes. I've learned before doing anything else to try clearing it myself. Jeep knows the drill and opens his mouth for me to get it done. What I do is turn a hose on full blast, fold over the end, stick it in his mouth as far as is practical, let 'er rip and pull it out quickly, so he only gets one big blast. If it's not a huge, solid choke, that'll usually get it down (with some ugly gagging). Then I give some banamine and we're good to go until the next time. The trick is to remember you're not trying to drown your horse; one blast, get the hose out fast. If it doesn't work, don't keep doing it. I've cleared many horses that way; It even worked with a choking llama.

My trainer has done this before with horses at our barn and it worked well, but you really have to know what you're doing (imo). She successfully unchoked (is that a word?) my friend's Arabian gelding who became a chronic choker and that is what eventually ended his life. The one time the choke wasn't cleared at home and he went to the vet, he aspirated too much, had to have a trac done, and developed pneumonia. Very sad.

I"m so glad that Arial is better!!

Basco once choked on dewormer and then had a mild choke on feed when he was about 4ish, so I only feed him wet pellets and hay or pasture now. Knock wood, but he's made it to 17 without choking again.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:24 pm

PaulaO

Glad to hear Ariel is okay. This is a perfect example of why having your horse at a good barn is so important if you can't have them at home. Kudos to the barn staff - and good for you for not panicking. Ahh, the joys of owning a horse:-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:40 pm

So glad she is OK and you are handling it well too! :-)

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Scary. Back in the early 80s we had never heard of choke until a horse came out of the trailer with it after a short ride for a lesson. The old straight load with a "manager" platform. Don't know what that is called. Terrifying to think what trouble he'd have been in on a longer trip, unable to get his head down even. Vet got there and it was quickly resolved.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:06 pm

Choke is a serious business. Glad she's ok!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”