The feathered crew

mari
Herd Member

The feathered crew

Postby mari » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:53 am

I am out of riding (and any activity whatsoever) with a ruptured cervical disc. It SUCKS. So yesterday, I lined the birds up for a school-type photo shoot.

Tico, the cuddliest homicidal velociraptor:

The derpy baby:

The cleverest bird:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Kirby's Keeper
Novice

Re: The feathered crew

Postby Kirby's Keeper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Mari, they are so beautiful! They gave me a smile on a very snowy Monday here in southen Ontario. What breeds are they?
Proud member of the Ilks Club ;)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:09 pm

They are very pretty birds!

I hope that your back heals quickly.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Beautiful! And your captions capture their personalities.

Jingles for your back.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Wonderful pics. I was expecting to see chooks ;)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:23 pm

So sorry about your injury. Flinging healing jingles way around the world.

Thanks for sharing your feathered friends. Birds are very interesting.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:41 am

What breed(s) are the birds?

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:36 am

Kirby's Keeper wrote:Mari, they are so beautiful! They gave me a smile on a very snowy Monday here in southen Ontario. What breeds are they?

Tico is a Senegal parrot, and the bottom two (Kiwi and Litchi) are lovebirds. They're all tame. We hoped the lovebirds would be friends, because Kiwi was very lonely before we got Litchi, but no such luck. They are both fascinated by the parrot, and they desperately try to be near her whenever they get the chance, but she will kill them, so most of their out-of-cage time they are separated, or closely supervised.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:38 am

texsuze wrote:Wonderful pics. I was expecting to see chooks ;)

I desperately want chickens! Or little ducks. We don't have any other pets, because I'm not crazy about the idea of mixing dogs and tame birds, so I'm trying to convince my DH that ducks will be the closest substitute 8-)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:45 pm

They are adorable, and the pictures/captions are adorable, too.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:52 pm

They're all very pretty! It's interesting that the lovebirds are fascinated by the parrot, and I suppose unfortunate for them

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:20 pm

They are lovely! And your pictures are fantastic.

I have had two cervical fusions. Back to doing whatever I want. Peyton Manning has had three fusions. What are your plans??

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 am

Imperini wrote:They're all very pretty! It's interesting that the lovebirds are fascinated by the parrot, and I suppose unfortunate for them

Very unfortunate! They basically just ignore each other, but when they see the parrot they come running. I have to fend them off constantly, while she sits and waits like a trapdoor spider for one to come within range :D

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:31 am

Wicky wrote:They are lovely! And your pictures are fantastic.

I have had two cervical fusions. Back to doing whatever I want. Peyton Manning has had three fusions. What are your plans??

I've been for an MRI, and consulted a really good neurosurgeon. The disk between C5 and C6 is ruptured, and a bit has torn off, so it's interfering with nerves and facet joints, which is hella painful. He doesn't want to operate just yet, because there is a lot of disk left, and he feels I'm too young. So I'm on loads of meds (epilepsy stuff too, apparently it helps with nerve things) and physio, and now I wait for two months.

I've had this exact same neck pain and hideous muscle spasms, about once every two years (sometimes the gap is a bit shorter), for the last 8 years or so. This is the first time I've been for an MRI though. The surgeon is pretty confident this is a really old injury that just freaks out every now and again.

If it really isn't much better in two months, he'll consider a synthetic disc replacement.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:39 pm

Sounds as if you "just" :roll: :roll: have pain. I had pain, cord compression and mild weakness and altered reflexes. Mine was also due to an old injury - being hit on the cheek by a baseball bat as a kid. My first surgery was when I was 47 or so. They did not have artificial discs, so the second was due to an unstability from stresses on an adjacent disc space due to the fusion. Artificial discs are supposed to decrease this complication. I hope that your pain resolves and you can avoid surgery as long as possible. That said, you do not want delay so long that you end up with chronic nerve problems and neuropathic pain (which I have, unfortunately).

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:42 am

Wicky wrote:Sounds as if you "just" :roll: :roll: have pain. I had pain, cord compression and mild weakness and altered reflexes. Mine was also due to an old injury - being hit on the cheek by a baseball bat as a kid. My first surgery was when I was 47 or so. They did not have artificial discs, so the second was due to an unstability from stresses on an adjacent disc space due to the fusion. Artificial discs are supposed to decrease this complication. I hope that your pain resolves and you can avoid surgery as long as possible. That said, you do not want delay so long that you end up with chronic nerve problems and neuropathic pain (which I have, unfortunately).

Yes, the "just" pain is currently driving me crazy. Had a few good days in a row, but today it feels like toothache all down my one side. I am at work, and waaaaaaaaayyyyyy over-medicated, which makes my job a lot more zen :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”